Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options
1373374375376377379»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Just to be sure I've got this down right, you need to go 400km with at most one charging stop, ideally as quick as possible?

Pretty sure the EV6 would cover around 300km on the coldest day of the year, and probably charges fastest out of everything

Model 3 LR is another good option, particularly if there's Superchargers en route.

Another potential is an ID.4 77kWh, there should be a few good deals on second hand ones at the moment. As long as they've been upgraded to the latest software the charging speed has improved

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Back to tyres, I just checked my tread depth and there's generally over 4mm on every tyre. I'm kind of tempted to leave the current set on until next year

They're 3 years old and have 30,000km on them. I reckon they've a bit of life left in them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mr chips

The total trip is about 440km, starting in NI, down the M1, onto the M7 and finishing in Limerick city. I know it's unlikely that any EV I can afford would do that in winter without a charging stop, but the further I can travel from 100% and the shorter the amount of time spent charging on the way, the better.

I know the route is one of the best served with ultra-fast charging points along the way - J14 Mayfield seems like one of the best options for a top-up, and I think Portlaoise/Midway are becoming more viable in terms of 100+ kW charging with more than one or two chargepoints. Journey time on the way out is the key factor - the return journey isn't time-bound in the same way, but the outward trip that generally takes around 4 and a half hours in an ICE needs to take no more than 5 hours in an EV including time spent charging.

At the moment, while a Kia EV6 would be a slightly more expensive option than a Model 3 (some of which are available on this leasing scheme with pretty minimal mileage), more importantly it looks to me as though the Tesla with heat pump would in any case be capable of covering the greatest amount of the outward trip in the worst conditions, i.e. a cold, wet and windy day in December/January, with the least amount of time spent charging en route. Given that it's a trip that happens multiple times a year, the cost - not just in time, but also financial - is also a part of the equation, albeit not the most important factor. But adding 20% to a Tesla vs adding 40% to a Kia every time would be a measurable difference. That said, a 2 year old EV6 will have a better overall warranty than a Tesla of the same age and that could well be of greater value.

So I'm leaning towards the Model 3 (lease cost around £350stg/month for a 2-3y.o.), but would be glad to be told of any alternatives I may not have considered, or reasons why I should consider Car XYZ instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Not sure what the aversion to public charging is or the time you think it takes. It's always best to charge on DC at the lowest SoC possible.

As an example, last week I left my house with 100% on board. Drove 70km to Carlow where I had a meeting. Since I was going to be parking up for three quarters of an hour or so, I parked at a charge point and left Carlow with 96% on board. Drove to Bray in Wicklow and then from there to Galway docks where I had to pick something up. Stopped for a literal splash and dash to 25% at Galway plaza as the GOM was saying I'd have 3% at my destination. Maybe 7 minutes, but probably less.

After Galway docks had an hour to kill before meeting my son for dinner, so charged up on the Brite chargers in the shopping centre there (good value at 51c btw, but make sure you're not sharing the charger, otherwise it's half speed). Took about 35 minutes to get to 80%, but 10 minutes of that was half speed because I was sharing. Had a coffee while I was waiting. It nearly took as much time to get from there to The Huntsman (Galway traffic is inexplicable).

Then drove home. Stopped at Carrickmines for another splash and dash - 8 minutes there to get to 38% from 12%. 680km in 8hrs 20 minutes at an average 85kph. I clocked 100% battery at just over 350km.

Was doing motorway speed limit + VRT + VAT most of the way. Polestar 2 Performance 78kWh.

TL:DR Public charging on a long trip is a breeze if you manage your stops properly.

That's certainly a journey, I wonder would the Model 3 make it to the Supercharger in Birdhill before needing a top up. If it can then I'd say it's the clear winner given supercharger costs are usually the cheapest with a Tesla

I think you've the right idea that you'll need to consider the fast charging costs with a regular journey like that. However I would also balance the overall savings in fuel against the added time for charging.

For example say it added an extra 30 mins each way and you did the trip 12 times per year. So the cost of using an EV is 12 hours of your life

If an EV saved €3k on fuel per year (just a guess) that works out to €250 per journey to Limerick. I know that time charging can feel like time wasted, but if you're €250 richer for it then it should take some of the pain away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mr chips

Time is a factor because on the outward leg, I have to arrive on time, every time - I need to know that if I leave by 10am, I'll be there by 3pm. It's a regular long trip, usually 9-10 times a year and sometimes more, and I have it down to a fine art in the ICE - I generally stop about 15 minutes and no more for a comfort/refuelling break and driver swap. I also take other long trips as my parents are some 300km away, but this particular trip is the most frequent one and also the one which requires punctuality. I have long wanted to switch to EV, and that's finally on the horizon now - but I have to be able to complete the outward leg of this specific trip without significant hold-ups either due to time spent plugged in or time spent queuing to charge. This is me trying to settle on the right car for my use case - something people are often advised to do in this forum! 😎

@the_amazing_raisin - it's not a case of "oh charging takes so looooong!" - I've already timed refuelling/comfort stops in the ICE many times and between standing there filling the tank, paying for fuel & tolls, going for a slash and getting back out to the car, it always takes 10-15 minutes anyway - more if the place is busy or understaffed. So the time needed to charge an EV shouldn't be much greater - it's not an issue so long as I know I can arrive, plug in, get what I need in 20-25 minutes and hit the road again. For the return journey home, or for a different trip visiting family etc where arrival time isn't as crucial, it doesn't make any difference if I have to wait an extra 15-20 minutes even just to start charging - but the outward leg of this specific trip can't be delayed.

I'm absolutely with you on the cost/benefit analysis - already figured out that between fuel (by far the biggest cost), maintenance & repairs etc, the cost to run the old ICE is averaging over £300 per month. We have solar at home and are planning more in the medium term, so outside of these long trips the cost to fuel an EV would be reduced to negligible amounts. So switching from running a 17 year old Mondeo that we own outright to leasing e.g. a 2-3 year old Model 3 will cost an average of just £65 per month extra. That's a no-brainer for me, but actually getting the leasing part done is a tedious process because it involves public sector bureaucracy. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

From what you're saying you would need a car with a very good charge curve. The ID4 has an excellent one iirc. I think it stays above 100kW to about 75% and at 150kW to about 35-40%. At 150kW you'd be getting about 25% in ten minutes. If you were getting a minimum of 300km from a full charge, that's an extra 75km in 10 minutes. >100km in fifteen.

If you're worried about chargers in use, check the apps as they will tell you charger status in real time.

Advertisement