Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bannerman1969

https://www.flogas.ie/price-plans/certa-affinity-rate/detail.html?fuelType=gas&offerId=47&availability=new_customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Anyone got a link to the latest smart Flogas bwg deal for those of us on activated meters?

I'm currently on 28 peak, 24 day and 18 night. With the long nights getting closer and no battery I wouldn't mind finding a deal better than what I am. There was no break fee last time I did this mid contract with Flogas.

Pinergy and Energia deals work out more expensive when I do the maths.

www.flogas.ie/price-plans/certa-affinity-rate/detail.html?fuelType=gas&offerId=48&availability=new_customers

Your current deal better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭DaveByDavid

We were on 29.99c per kw fixed for 12 months, around 380 euro standing charge.

Now flogas have offered 25.60c per kw, 313 euro standing charge - fixed for 12 months.

Or variable - 29.64c per kw and 313 standing charge.

Thinking of going fixed as can't imagine it would come down massively more than that in 12 months.

Or maybe with an electric car it's time to go on a day/night or smart meter plan and charge it more overnight.

Are there many better deals out there than the ones they've offered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭garyskeepers

I was just on checking to move from prepaypower.

Your woman says that SSE dropped their prices last week so everyone will drop theirs in the next couple of weeks?

If we have a smart meter can we choose to switch from a 24 hour plan to a day/night plan or does it have to be a smart plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

You need to figure out if your smart meter is "activated".

if your current plan is 24hr non-smart (it should show MCC01 on your bill) then you are eligible to request a meter change to day/night non-smart plan.

I did this late last year, but you have to request it via your supplier.

My experience is documented here. TLDR you need to be persistent :)

They were offering an online renewal deal 23.44c €257 standing charge I moved from the plan you're on now to it without penalty. I think it was in this thread. I'm following so many threads it's hard to keep track. Scroll up to Bannerman's post and copy his link. One caveat, it isn't fixed for a year, it's until 31/03/25. Maybe they'll have something better by then, who knows?

Excluding VAT.

Just rechecked my latest bill...peak is 26 peak, 22 day & 17 night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Flogas certa offer, 24c day, 12c night. Including vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bobcatboo123

Is this a smart plan or standard plan? Have an activated smart meter

It's a day/night plan, you need a day/night meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭pj12332

Hi guys, have a rm106 meter. Esb have said to ask for rm108 but have to apply through my provider. No charge. Electric Ireland are digging their heels in saying I don't need it. We are possibly going to go to a day night rate soon and want to be able to switch back to a smart EV plan if day night is not working out or vise versa. Esb are saying I need rm108 electric Ireland saying we don't. Very confusing. Can anyone educate me on this please? Thanks

Okay thanks - I guess that means I couldn't switch supplier and just sign up for a day/night plan without just calling them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭trant

I just signed up to this plan (BWG Fixed Rate Affinity Electricity Offer) with an unactivated RM108 D/N smart meter. Does the welcome letter from FloGas show the MCC, or is there another way to verify that they have not sneaked a smart plan into the agreement?

Thanks in advance!

I've been putting off switching to a smart meter plan but this one from Bord Gais seems quite good:

Urban Day units (8am to 11pm excl. Peak)  24.47c 

Urban Peak units (5pm to 7pm) 34.13c 

Urban Night units (11pm to 8am) 18.45c

Urban EV units (2am to 5am) 6.24c

Standing Charge €325.52

I'm just worried that once we are on a smart meter plan we can't go back to 24 hour or day/night and in the future the prices could be terrible.

But the 6.24 rate between 2am to 5am for EV charging / Dishwasher / Washing machine could be handy.

Have you checked the Energia EV plan?

4 hour cheap rate window.

Cheap standing charge, probably €100 cheaper than BG.

No gouging peak tariff.

Ah here, the other 20 hours are blatant gouging at 34c per unit and the EV rate is more expensive than BG. The rate is higher than the BG peak rate!!

Doesn't seem that much better really, 300 euro standing charge (we are rural) compared to 325.

No peak time but the standard charge is 33.86c per kw, compared to 34.13c per kw for peak time only on bord gais and (24.47 for most other times).

Extra hour EV time on Energia but it's 7.54 instead of 6.24.

Think one less hour and cheaper overall rates is better on Bord Gais.

But I could be missing something.

• Advertisement

If you stop the sign up process after entering your email address you might get the extra 3% offer after a few days which will give you these rates.

It's very tempting, I don't think I can find a better deal online right now, especially while having an EV to charge.

Only worry is in 12 months time and being stuck on smart meter plans only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anyone managed to get these prices as an existing BGE customer? Currently on a 24H plan but car charger is being installed this week so will switch to the EV plan.

It's certainly a legitimate worry but there are good 24hr smart plans out there, I couldn't see myself going back to charging the car at 24hr rates tbh. Have you uploaded your hdf to energypal? His site is brilliant and won't put you wrong. The esbn site has been revamped making it much easier to interpret you meter data. I'd start there first.

I couldn't tell you that but I was with BG before moving to Flogas and I didn't find the good with retention offers. Give them a ring and see what they say.

Thanks, have just set it up, looks excellent.

I don't quite understand it though, it thinks our best option is Electric Ireland Home electric + 30% saver which is basically a smart meter plan with around 25c at any time, no peak/night/EV saver.

But the Bord Gais plan I found is 24.47 with night saver rates. It does have the peak time of 5-7pm but I imagine the night time stuff would outweight that.

€350 a month 😯. Holey moley that's big money for this time of year. My last bill for 2 months from Flogas was €419, the way I'm going my 2 months bill with BG will be €348. I really like that I can see my spending from day to day.

I got it wrong sorry, our last bill was 386 for 2 months.

According to energypal the best rural rate is the electric ireland one - annual cost 2089 so 174 a month so 348 for 2 months which I guess over a year is about 200~ in savings a year so not bad. Potentially more if we get smarter with stuff we can set to work overnight like car, washing machine and dishwasher.

I'm just not sure I agree with energypal that electric ireland is better than the bord gais offer, unless I've missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm paying 32.55c day, 15.61c night, €270 urban standing charge and 24c FIT with Energia with a 15% retention discount on a dual fuel plan and that was when their rates went down in March. People should be paying less than that by now!

• Advertisement

Take another 3% off the BG cost as you should get the extra 3% off, does that bring you closer to the EI cost?

possibly, I think it’s very close either way, probably talking less than 100 difference.

Just depends on the night rates outweighing having a peak rate we didn’t before.

not sure how to guarantee the 3% off BG but either way I think it’s a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Flogas 24c day / 12c night (9 hours).

Anyone beating that yet? Has been the standout for 2024 so far.

Check 1st post on previous page #166 - it's for a D/N meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭joe1303l

No, nothing to beat that if you need to fully charge a big battery EV overnight s few times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭fafy

i’l export about approx 5,500 units this year, BG export rate is 18.50 cent, Energia is 24 cent, thats a €300 euro difference annually, so while BG smart EV rates with 33% discount are not bad, they are not great overall, for higher PV exporters, with batteries, allthough they may suit some setups.

Energia EV smart plan is also cheaper for standing charge by almost €90 inc vat. so thats a total of a €390 difference annuall.

even using 6500 night units on BG versus Energia, is only circa 1.60 cent difference or €104 difference annually. Even if Energia were to reduce their export rate by 4 cent to 20 cent, its still a better plan for me and has a more flexible 4 hours cheap rate window, versus 3 hours.

Will also check Pinergy Cooline which is 5.45 cent inc vat at night for 3 hours, has a 25 cent export rate, €283 annual standing charge inc vat, , and has €100 credit on signup.

Turns out the Bord Gais standing charge is 380 in rural areas which maybe makes sense why energypal thinks it's not the best deal.

Essentially it thinks going onto an Electric Ireland smart meter for 25.08c per kWh all times and 314 euro standing charge is better than:

Urban Day units (8am to 11pm excl. Peak) 24.47c

Urban Peak units (5pm to 7pm) 34.13c

Urban Night units (11pm to 8am) 18.45c

Urban EV units (2am to 5am) 6.24c

Standing Charge €380

With energypal though, it can only work off your recent electric patterns right? So we use a lot of electric during the day because we are on a 24 hour rate - so dishwasher, car charging, washing machine etc often get used during the day as we are on a flat rate plan.

If we work our electric use better the Bord Gais plan might be better despite energypal disagreeing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I did my own spreadsheet as we've only had solar since March and just got the EV, so energypal's estimates would have been based on past patterns that were completely different.

Even allowing for that my spreadsheet suggested Energia would be slightly cheaper due the lower standing charge and higher FIT, but that doesn't account for any load shifting or change of usage patterns to take advantage of BGE's cheap night and EV rates and the difference was less than €70 over a year. As I'm an existing BGE customer and in contract, I'd have to pay €50 to break it so I went with BGE and will try to maximise usage of the cheap rates.

Unfortunately I couldn't see any way to get the 33% rate as I'm a) an existing customer and b) dual-fuel and that rate is electric only. Existing customer rate is 24% which is the same discount I was already on.

This is kind of my thinking, if we shift our energy useage into the night rates, surely we can get it lower than sticking on a flat rate.

Charging the car more often during 2am-5am for 6c and setting washing machines and dishwashers to finish at 5am would save a bit.

We are working from home and so have computers on all the time, but the day rate outside of 5-7pm is the same on both tariffs anyway.

• Advertisement

Since I went full EV last year I had it scheduled to charge at 11pm which helped keep energypal more accurate. There's very little to be saved moving a dishwasher or washing machine into the 2-5 slot, they can be quite annoying running at that time, compared to an EV they use very little. Keeping out of the peak and charging the car between 2-5 has made a big difference already to my usage. When I pay the final bill with Flogas and get fully settled with BG I think I'll save around 30- 40 every 2 months.

yeah fair enough, the car at a minimum should be enough to move onto the BG plan instead of EI I think.

Will be slightly inconvenient to charge more often but not a big deal.

Can still try and do more stuff at night generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I was the same looking at my energy pal. I'm on a 24 hour rate so I plug the car in at any time. But with the BG EV rate I'll move those KWs to that late slot. Once solar is in I'll also try top up the battery then too and use that through the early morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭creedp

Not sure if Revenue will enforce its worth noting the income tax exemption for export is only €400 per person and will expire at end 2025. So the export rate is of limited value if you exceed the threshold and will be even of less value from Jan 26 when all income will be subject to marginal tax rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭fafy

i am fully aware, we are a 4 person household, all working, so €1600 annual exemption per annum with 4 names on the bill, so its not a concern for me, and the context is export rates will definitely fall, so budgeting for around 20 cent per unit exported, in the medium term, going forward.

I would also expect the exemption to continue beyond 2025, due to the fact it is government and EU policy to encourage PV generation, and the amounts involved are also relatively small.

Nothing is too small for Revenue especially if it's an ordinary working person…

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

When the politicians come knocking make sure you bring it up for it to be kept going forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 danb_2010

Do anyone know the unit rate offered by Flogas under the Certa or BWG affinity plans for selling back to their grid for those with solar systems? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 danb_2010

Deleted

Post edited by danb_2010 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement