Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I agree completely.

As I said, adding a significant tax to PET items in the DRS would force the producers come up with a solution that actually reduced the amount of PET items sold.

As things stand there's no reason for them to change anything - everything has been de-risked/offloaded onto their customers. If the customers wouldn't stomach the increased tax, sales would collapse, the market would drive change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The plastics industry would like people to believe that plastic can be recycled infinitely. But this is a lie. At best, you can get a useable product from plastic in two or, if lucky, three cycles and most plastic (90%) simply cannot be recycled at all. When you couple that fact with the fact that there's nearly a million plastic bottles produced every minute (over a billion every day), you can understand why the plastics business would like the naive to buy into the bullshit idea of a "circular economy" with regards to plastics.

Frankly, when oil runs out on this planet, it might be better for mankind and the world over all, assuming mankind is still on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks.

I was under pressure and couldn't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This was all very predictable and was called out before the scheme was even introduced.

There is more waste on the streets since the scheme was introduced, particularly in urban areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

For Ireland and many other countries they can't mandate a figure for recycling, because some countries dont have a recycling plant.

• Advertisement

Well of course if you are in the business of selling plastic, you want the naive to remain naive. And if you sell oil, you want the plastic producers to keep producing plastic. If they put a tax on plastic bottles and the likes of Coca Cola, Pepsi etc saw a dramatic decline of their sales, they wouldnt be long changing their tactics in how they package their produce.

A tax won't make producers change. They'll just pass on any increase to the public and enough of the public will be willing to pay it.

I meant a serious tax on PET bottles, leave aluminium alone. When a 500ml bottle of coke is 3.50 but a 330ml can of coke is 2 euro, the public wouldnt be long cottoning on.

Ive stayed in a few hotels over the last few months, and in every single one, the complimentary bottle of water has been replaced with a tetrapak style cardboard "bottle".

I'm talking about plastic bottles too.

AFAIC, plastic drinks bottles should be done away with and aluminium should be the container that soft drinks are delivered in. So much plastic in our environment is, literally, disastrous. But simply putting a tax on plastic bottles won't make the companies change their ways. They'll just pass that expense onto the consumer and we'll be on the hook yet again.

Yes, but when there is a significant difference between the price of plastic bottles over cans, the consumer will vote with their wallets and the vendors will see the massive drop in sales of plastic bottles and change their ways. A 500ml can of monster is 2.25 in Tesco. When a 500ml bottle of coke is 4 euros, sales of plastic bottles will plummet.

• Advertisement

There would have to be a world wide significant increase though and that won't happen. Even if the, say, the EU put a tax of 3 Euro onto every plastic bottle (which won't happen either), it wouldn't stop manufacturers producing them and enough people in EU countries would still pay it at the end of the day.

The industry has to be forced by legislation to stop producing plastic bottles and make the move back to aluminium and glass only and I think that can only come about by banning them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

https://www.checkout.ie/packaging-design/a-step-closer-to-the-circular-economy-198985

Hey Minister!

I pay the deposit, clean the bottle/can-sort it for ReTurn and bring it to the RVM!

When do I get fecking paid!

“One of the big learnings that we took away from our examination of the
    Deposit Return Schemes in other countries was that everyone in the
    Deposit Return Scheme chain has to be paid for their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Treasure hunting in Tipperary

Just taking the three bullet points you mention in addition to mine

1 electronic refunds would suit some and if they can be incorporated to run alongside the current system I was would support that.

2 the present machines have to read the barcodes so I don't think they can be adapted to accept crushed cans.

3 for many people the shop is the obvious place to use an RVM. Personally I fit it in with a trip to the shop and want that to continue. If bulk machines were introduced I expect they would be at civic amenity sites. Would that suit your requirement for a non shop location ?

4 I've already covered the threatened bin charge increase and I'm totally opposed to any increase. I'm not sure what you mean by sweetener.

I expect details of how much the cash pile is will be released and plans for using it too.

There have been a few posts about reducing plastic use today. It's a much wider subject than DRS and I'm not sure it's on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

from that statement I assume that you can't make a 100% recycled plastic bottle otherwise in a couple of uses you're making a bottle that can't be recycled but will be put in the recycling chain and contaminate it ?

unless I'm missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Dunnes Stores machine today refused this bottle "barcode not accepted/recognised at this machine, please recycle elsewhere"

Carrick Glen water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

1 Excellent

2 Australia are accepting crushed containers. Maybe Ossian and Foley could ask them about it:

3 IBAN returns and bulk return centres would take care of a lot of that. In addition to that all vouchers should be accepted anywhere. No excuses.

4. Yeah you're opposed to an increase but you've also done a fair bit of vilifying binmen on here. Out of order in my opinion but I think we've covered that.

Regarding a sweetener there are plenty of ways it could be done. A simple 1 would be a free recycling bin lift with a certain amount of containers returned to RVM. A tangible reward for those who were / are using their recycle wheelie bins instead of sending everything to landfill. If there was a Re-Turn mobile app it wouldnt be difficult.

I dont share you're optimism for incoming transparency on deposit figures. Time will tell I suppose.

I dont share you're optimism for incoming transparency on deposit figures

I have zero optimism for transparency.

2 Australia is really just a very big island far away from it's nearest neighbour. We share a small island with a neighbour that doesn't yet have DRS. If our RVMs just accepted any can without some sort of verification the door would be wide open for fraud. We have seen examples just today of what can happen.

3 If it could be done it's not a deal breaker for me. I'd still use the RVM at the shop where I buy my groceries.

4 You must be joking. If anything I was too kind to the bin companies (not bin men by the way who I hold in high regard). They are cynically using their customers as pawns in a game to get compensation from the government.

I have no problem with some sort of "sweetener "as you describe it. It does sound a bit complicated though with one company depending on data from another to decide on eligibility.

Yes time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's misleading to say Australia does certain things, when it varies from State to State. South Australia started their scheme in 1977, and I doubt it is the same today as back then. Tasmania is still working on bringing in a scheme.

"Tasmania

In December 2014 a state-based deposit scheme was rejected by the government, citing costs and the need to ship containers to the Australian mainland for processing. Various environmental organisations, including The Greens and many Tasmanian local councils have been pushing for a scheme in Tasmania for many years. Most people are in favour of a scheme according to various studies that have been conducted over the years."

• Advertisement

Is this post really the best you can do here? So I said Australia instead of a state within Australia. How terrible! Some great debate today and then in you come with your meaningless slurry spreader nonsense as usual.

Any comment on how we could incorporate what other countries or states within other countries are doing to improve Re-Turn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Australia is a lot bigger than the EU by area. 7.688 million km² as against 4.423 km². There are many variations, so you would need to outline the history of any schemes you want me to compare. One which started in February 2024 is likely to have evolved less than ones which are in operation for decades. And there has always been local debate everywhere, with many voices declaring the schemes to be scams. This is from Melbourne 7 month ago on Reddit: (Victoria started their scheme in November 2023, so may be going through some growing pains).

Ineligible cans for container return scheme, despite having the 10c mark

PSA

Just went to drop off a bunch of cans, all of which were labelled “10c refund at collection”. Turns out this was not the case for most of them.

The helpful fella at the collection point said if the cans don’t have a barcode, they can’t be scanned. That ruled out a whole bunch of craft beers in my haul.

He also said many local brews don’t scan either, even with a barcode (ie Burnley Brewing pale ale and Jarrah Boy lager, which I discovered).

I’m in CDS West, so it might be a problem with the provider. I couldn’t find any info about ineligible cans online. But yeah, if you rock up with a heap of cans, be aware that you might have to chuck some in the yellow bin anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wonder was there some sort of fault today. A few of mine (Aldi in East Wall) gave me that message. All legit. I just kept putting them in again and again until it gave up and took them.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

actually the law of unintended consequences has our house buying MORE plastic rather than recyclable cans. The price for cans is now off the charts so now we’re more likely to buy the large plastic bottles

A load of irrelevant nonsense and a reddit post dump. So thats a no then. Im shocked (not really).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cans get melted, random rubbish you put in will just burn off and they are absolutely still being recycled. So you're not doing anything other than running the risk of cutting your fingers doing that pointless petulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Because I pay my deposit, return the item and get it back, I have not been unable to get any back, therefore I would say that in my experience it is going pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Yes because you have to pay the f'n deposit to get it back, if it was €6.00 for 4 cans it is now €6.60 (6.00 plus 4 x 0.15)

If a shop is charging more plus the deposit that is a price increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

While it is a nice idea it does not matter. They will go through that bin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Tetrapak is plastic bottle which try to look like paper one. Bit less of plastic yet completely not recyclable.

Advertisement