Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonak lumity 90

• 31-07-2024 6:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hello

I am currently in the 90 day trial of phonak lumity p90 aids from Boots

All going well first set of hearing aids

I like the Bluetooth able to answer phone etc

But using the App if I adjust volume if I receive a notification or call on phone the volume reverts to default so this means I have to reset volume to where I want after any notification etc

I see online other users are also having this issue

I really wanted to set volume to what I wanted and it would stay at that level until I changed it

If I can't sort this I will return them as what's the point of having settings if they won't stick

Anyone recommend any other good aid with Bluetooth and good app control

Thanks

Xl500

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

As devices, those Lumity 90s are top class. What may need to be further explored is how good the person who has programmed them is.

Speak to Boots. The base programs ought to be fully adjusted to your needs based on your audiogram.

However, as these are your 1st HAs, it's likely that amplification is at its lowest level for your audiogram. This is probably set at 80% in the Phonak management software. The trial is designed to allow your brain to slowly accommodate to the new influx of sounds, and to ramp up to 100% of your prescription over the 1st 30-45 days of the trial.

Are you having to increase amplification in the personalised settings by maybe a notch or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Thanks

No i am not having to up the amplification

As i say problem is if i adjust volume say down to -2 and i then sometime later recieve a notification of a message or email on my phone volume on hearing aid reverts back to default I cant be having to reset it after every notification or call

That sounds like an issue with how your audiogram has been programmed into the HAs. I would deffo speak to Boots on this, as it sounds like the settings are blowing your ears off, as though they haven't implemented the L-driver setting to get your brain used to them.

BTW, is your Phonak app on iPhone or Android?

Im on Android I am going back to Boots this morning so will mention L-Driver

Thanks Again

Its actually called Auto Acclimatisation, not L-Driver...

In your case, I would focus on having the brain learn the new sounds for the first few weeks, so something like an 80% start, with a 100% target and 30 days to get there might suit you.

This is the blurb from the Target manual;

Auto acclimatization
    Automatically acclimatize a patient to a higher overall gain level by setting a target gain level you wish the hearing aid
    to reach and the number of days the hearing aid would need to reach that target gain.
    Select [Auto acclimatization] in the gain level menu in the [Initial fitting] tab. Specify the start level, the end level and
    the duration in which the gain of the hearing aid automatically increases to the set end level

• Advertisement

Thanks for that I have been back to Boots and they have now done as you suggested after me telling them what you said

Anyway we set it for 80% rising to 100% over 28 days

Thanks again hopefully these aids will work out

Hope they work out for you.

Those are top quality aids that will only suffer by bad audiology support. Sadly, that is the norm IMO.

The Phonak app is as good as you'll get and beats all others (I've tried Oticon and Signia also) for Bluetooth connection on android. On IOS, not as good but it's improving.

On balance, Boots and Specsavers may be on the low end price wise for Phonak. Certainly cheaper than HH for Oticon. However, after sales support is quite hit and miss unless you're lucky with your audiologist.

What part of the country are you in?

Thanks

I'm in Dublin

You've a good chance of finding an audiologist who knows what they're doing so.

Throw a message to let us know how you're getting on...

I will thanks again

• Advertisement

For anyone currently considering a set of Phonak HAs, be advised that they have now launched the latest generation devices called Infinio that appears to be a good improvement on Lumity at each technology level.

In addition, they have expanded into a new Infinio Sphere within the 70 and 90 tech levels that offers a whole new way of processing speech in noise, by adding a dedicated processing chip for that purpose only.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on any Phonaks right now without investigating these.

Advertisement