Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

why is just the morning time that I don't have pages of people I have on ignore on this thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yes, but that particular point is probably addressed by his proposal of rounding illegals up via the military yanking them out of their homes and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,702 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a tendency among trump supporters to criticise the 'anyone but Trump' approach to the US presidency. As though everyone thinks the same as them and bases their opinion on spite, or some sort of irrational knee-jerk reaction. Why would people in Ireland or elsewhere bother to do that? It doesn't matter too much to us how the US governs itself internally. However when you get a total incompetent who has sway over the US's foreign affairs then it does matter. Its not a Rep or Dem matter, for me, a competent, just and reasonable R president is fine, a stupid D not so much.

Since day one of his notion that he fancied himself as president, it was obvious to anyone, including people who had no idea who he was, that he was self serving, vain and more than a little stupid. Over the past decade he has proved this and built on it. Now, due to the 'guns, god and self' teaching and the endless patriotic self aggrandisement that has gone on for decades, and that he has tapped into, he has turned into a cult-leading monster. 'Anyone but Trump' is an inevitable conclusion for anyone with concerns outside their own personal little sphere. The world can survive a moderately competent, basically well intentioned president for 4 years, it would not do so well under Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

I wouldn't be so certain Millennial Fundy Christians have intentionally infiltrated every level of the American military, to the extent that they are known as the Crusader Army throughout the Middle East.

On a side note Arab Americans are not going to have strong positive feelings towards Harris since Biden did virtually nothing to rain in Isreal on his watch. Very bad optics.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,752 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cal cited the case of the replacement of Thomas eagleton in the 1972 election.

Eagleton was nominated as the Dem VP by candidate George McGovern, who was running against Nixon. There were practically no background checks in those days, and it turned out Eagleton suffered severe depression and had been subject to Electro shock therapy. Cue the panic of someone with these aliments possibly "having the finger on the button"

eagleton then, under pressure, withdrew his candidacy, and was replaced by a Sargent Shriver (of the famous shriver family) who was a much more solid nomination

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Trump proclaimed creating mass detention camps and the deportation of millions of undocumented immigrants if he wins in 2024, according to CNN 11 November 2023.

Yeah, the knock-on effects of another Trump presidency would potentially be large for Ireland due to his policy of essentially fining American companies who off-shore their labour. In the case where Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple and pharmaceutical manufacturers were forced to move their operations back stateside, it would leave a massive hole in Ireland's budget, such is the tax take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,393 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Important point, they ended up losing the election by an absolute landslide.

The only thing more daft then appointing Vance would be replacing him.

They are stuck with him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

It’s not just the corporate tax take that would be lost. There’s also income tax, USC, employer and employee PRSI. Not to mention the overall reduction in economic activity, increased unemployment payments, etc. etc. The overall impact would be devastating.

But not to worry. The straightened circumstances would no longer matter in a few years time when Trump’s reversal of climate change action causes the whole planet to become a desert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If that's the case, Aneticas more fucjed than we thought and it doesn't matter wins.

I don't think the military is anywhere near that fundamentalist though.

The isreal things a non starter - thats been tbe case for years and will continue to be so.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Who would be a good counter to Harris though?

Before outing herself as a dog killer, I would have said Noem. No chance now.

Before Harris, I thought Burnum would have been the choice (not now though)

I think if he is to be replaced, it either has to be a woman, or a non-white male.

Byron Donalds - high possiblity he's the best here. Would have to get him to not be "from" Florida. Not sure how that could work. He was born in New york, so maybe?

Tulsi Gabbard - already beat Harris in a debate. Not sure if her being an ex-dem is a positive or negative to MAGA heads. Would she run as Trumps VP?

Vivek Ramaswamy - has played well since his campaign, but there's a sense of, "same old same old" as he wouldn't be much different than Vance. Pretty unlikeable to a lot of people (although that could just be my bias against tech bros).

Ben Carson - too old for this race, I think they need someone under 60.

Outsiders:

Katie Britt - for comedy value, I hope so. Her state of the union hopefully killed off any nascent national political career.

Nancy Mace - one for the future, only 46. Not crazily right wing. South Carolina Representative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The concern is not that they'd vote for Trump , but that they might stay at home which ultimately has the same impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I think one of the bigger considerations of the VP pick will be who brings in more voters than Kamala has at the moment.

Does Kelly or Shapiro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can you explain why Ukraine are the bad guys and Russia who illegally invaded a sovereign country and bombed a children’s hospital last week are the good guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Didn't see Ukraine invading Russia did ya. So yes Russia is the bad guy. And Harris is a far better prospect for mutilnationals in Ireland than Trump would ever be. That's a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A perfect coup.

George Clooney must be delighted, Jack Black too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

People, and that includes Trump, don't understand how America maintains it's empire. It mainly maintains it by foreign direct investment in Allie countries. Those trading ties are always asymmetric and this is where the advantage for America lies.

Only as an absolute last resort do they use their military power.

Anyone who is serious about American power understands this and promotes strong trading ties and FDI. So Trump isn't serious about American power and he doesn't remotely understand how the American Empire operates. This is one of the fundamental difference between him and Harris and why the establishment in America will row in behind Harris rather than Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

only a moron would see Russia as the bad guy

For calling me a moron this poster, whose name I'm not even going to bother quoting here, is going on my ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well, that's a short post proving you don't understand what a coup is.
    But I guess you need to tick that bingo card with George Clooney on it.

Also, I must have missed all your posts with unprompted criticism of Trump for attempting an actual coup, by threatening his VP to deny legitimate election results, and inciting a mob to storm the Capitol.
    This it not whataboutery, this is demonstrating that your post is utterly disingenuous.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think Kelly has broader appeal generally.

He's a War hero , Astronaut , successful businessman so he is a "safe" vote for the on the fence Independents.

He's the classic "All-American" type.

I think he also counter-balances some of the pseudo concerns about Harris and the idea of a woman being commander in chief etc.

He also represents a huge point of difference to Vance.

Whilst Kelly is a Catholic , his wife Gabby Giffords is Jewish but he hasn't been quite as vocal about Israel as Shapiro so I don't think he has much baggage there.

Shapiro gets you PA , But Kelly gets you Arizona and places like Georgia as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Shapiro gets you PA

I wonder does her absolutely guarantee it? Because he's a very strong bookies' favourite right now, and I'm not seeing what else he brings to the ticket over Kelly…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I agree. I think he has broader appeal. As you say, he is a real American hero. He still brings a hefty 11 electoral points with him which is not to be sneezed at.

Plus, if she goes with Kelly and Shapiro puts his support behind him, assuming PA votes democrat, you get their 19 votes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Do you think people are more, or less, likely to listen to your opinions when you present them in this aggressive, low-information way?

I also think Kelly would have a broader general appeal and that the boy would be more afraid of a debate with him than Shapiro.

Harris's polling has already ticked up in Pennsylvania and it may not even be the case that she needs Shapiro to win it. She also needs Wisconsin and Michigan. As said earlier, the Arab American voting bloc of Michigan may become disillusioned with the Democrats if the outspokenly pro-Israel Shapiro is given the nod and it doesn't exactly help the general youth vote either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Here is a wild thought for you that will blow your mind

Russia is a bad guy

Yes - And with a Democrat Governor in Arizona if Kelly becomes VP , another Democrat will be appointed to the Senate for at least a while - I guess that person would hold office until the 2026 mid-terms?

• Advertisement
Advertisement