Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yes the DNA cheek swab seems like the obvious answer as its unintrusive & guaranteed to produce incontrovertible evidence as to someone's true sex and identity! (I think they ran them in past Olympics). Then again, nowadays it's not always about biology & ones true identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Sharron Davies has said she has faced hundreds - and that was a time when DNA was in its infancy, now it's so accurate it is practically instant.

To be clear I support anyone to live their life as they see fit and have whatever identity they like - provided it doesn't hurt anyone else. In sports, women's single sex spaces - intimate medical care, sexual assault processing, prisons etc - and others, it does hurt women and so this is where the line should be drawn by sex, not gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Women athletes were once asked to vote on if they wanted to continue sex testing with a cheek swab, and voted 80%+ in favour of continuing, but they're just silly women, so were ignored, and it was scrapped from Sydney onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It just needs to be reintroduced ASAP.

If a few people don't like it tough, it helps ensure fairness, not wanting sex testing is like not wanting drug testing for international sports.

Whats pathetic is the Olympic movement has a huge degree of clout world wide and should be able to tell objectors to piss off and move on without issue but it seems its been gripped by gender identity nonsense aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,448 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

when a mania takes over society , there is winning a war and then there is shooting all the survivors ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The problem is if the woman were to win (and it could very well happen) it will just embolden idiots to say "see it makes no difference, therefore biological men should be allowed if they identify as women" forgetting of course that it just means the biological male isn't a very good boxer and that loads of female boxers could beat poor quality male boxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They will be along after they are finished to say that the females should just rain harder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So you can literally be banned for taking over the counter medicines for regular ailments in the Olympics BUT it's ok to take massive amounts of drugs to alter your "gender" to batter women.

What have I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What does that even mean? Are you suggesting trans women are pretending to be trans just to compete in women's sports?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

women need to stand up for themselves and stop playing along with this nonsense, men wouldnt put up with it if teams started including robots

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It doesn't matter if they are "trans" women or not. They shouldn't be competing against women. They are still males. If you choose to transition then you just have to accept that you cant compete against biological women. It's not that difficult. There's always the open/men's division

You might want to read up on the lengths that some men have gone to in order to cheat at sports. Pretending to be a woman is nothing in comparison. I'm sure lance Armstrong wishes he could have just done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Have you not noticed? There are women standing up for themselves, but they are painted as right wing, crazy and transphobic, even the likes of Martina navratilova and Sharron Davies.

The vast majority of people know that this is wrong. You'd be hard pressed to find someone in real life who thinks that a male athlete in any discipline should compete against a female. We all need to speak up and say no at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I see the Italian boxing federation and government aren't happy about the Algerian boxer competing against the Italian Angela Carini (this morning)

Italy’s Family and Equal Opportunities Minister Eugenia Roccella went further.

“It is of great concern to learn that two transgender people, men who identify as women, were admitted to women’s boxing competitions at the Olympic Games in Paris after having been excluded from recent competitions,” Roccella said.

I guess we don't actually know whether she is transgender or has a DSD. The IOC just checked her passport 🙄

The Australian women's team captain has come out against it too, as one of her team mates might have to compete against her.

Not a good situation for the Algerian or Chinese boxers either, but they did fail a gender test previously, so must have known this would be coming.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/31/caitlin-parker-imane-khelif-lin-yu-ting-boxing-olympics-ioc/

I agree but women need to collectively boycott more things, that girl featured obviously felt compelled or even "agreed" to compete

It's not beyond the realms of possibility - William Thomas was 542nd in his division against men, with no physical changes whatsoever Lia Thomas was 1st in the division against women.

Emily Bridges, the cyclist has flat out refused to compete in any "open" category and although a fully post-puberty biological male with all the advantages that brings in sport (e.g. a narrower pelvis, helpful for centre of gravity/balance in cycling) wishes to race ONLY against biological women.

Whilst I am sure those individuals named are genuine in their belief of their identity - they still posess physical attributes that give them an unfair advantage over biological women. Plus as a poster noted earlier - Lance Armstrong went to such great lengths to cheat - can you honestly state that NOT ONE biological male, realising his sporting dream would never happen would change gender ?

We are about to see in 15 minutes the end of women's sports unless the authorities take action and put safety and fairness above ideology.

In a way I do agree but women have trained since kids to get to an Olympics and often only get to one - I really admire our own Kellie Harrington saying she would refuse to fight but why should women step aside ??

for the Olympics it would be such a spotlight that competing even if absurd would be a good choice , I assume the "volley Ball" one was just some internal US competition and maybe they didnt think of the risks as not a contact sport in the normal sense, but organise a protest of some sort and make it clear its not wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

I have been guilty of convoluted sentences on the past, but I thought that one was unambiguous. I'll reword it: some men are identifying as women in order to enter women's sports so that they can win. An open category wouldn't suit such people - in fact when they tried it in swimming nobody entered.

Based on the photos we've seen in this thread I wouldn't use the word pretending - they're not making much of an effort in that regard. That's why sports eligibility criteria need to be unambiguous- ie on the basis of sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

that fight is on now

and its over, the italian woman stopped the fight after 20 seconds, her chance at an olympopic gold taken away by a male

Looks like Carini has pulled out after less than a minute in fight with Khelif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I think that was fake news. I don't know where that came from but there doesn't seem to be any actual quote from Kellie Harrington saying anything of the sort (nor the opposite for that matter).

Never underestimate a woman's innate fear of being physically harmed by a man - a woman fighting her and Carini would be flying.

A man's wants are more important than something a woman has worked for for years.

And this is "progressive" ?

Oh that is good to see - but she shouldn't be put in that position, no woman should in our own sports.

She was quite agitated from the start. I know sfa about boxing, but she took what looked like a few hard hits, took a timeout to readjust her headgear, then stopped again a few seconds later. Probably was no more than 20 seconds of boxing. She was very upset and crying after. Incidentally, the commentator on Discovery+ was feigning complete ignorance as to what was going on. The conspiracy of silence is unbelievable

Here's Sean Ingle who does know more about it:

Jesus that is horrific to read. Are the commentators really clueless or just too scared to acknowledge what is going on in front of their eyes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd say it's a directive from the IOC to not mention it on commentary. TV footage cuts away as soon as she starts to kneel after the fight.

What's good is that they've been called out multiple times in press conferences, and the whole world is seeing this, and reading about it on social media.

It gets worse. Ingle is the Guardian's chief sport's reporter, so he's no hack. See as well, how the TV camera in the clip cuts away when she kneels down. Can't be showing anything controversial now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Their are people who call themselves as progressives and kind.

They are cheering on a man beating up a women.

If it happened outside a ring he would be in jail.

It must take some mental gymnastics to perceive yourself as nice while cheering on the destruction of female sports.

How has the Olympics got to the stage where a man is battering a women live on tv.

What a great promotion for women's boxing to young girls and how to treat women for young boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just heart breaking to watch. What's worse is that most of the media and the women's groups are completely silent. 🤮

• Advertisement
Advertisement