Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Scandal - Huw Edwards formally suspended over payment of explicit images of teenager Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He continued such conversations for over a year - any “normal” person would have reported the other guy for sending such images in the first place - instead he continued to engage

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Would his so called mental breakdown cause him to develop this interest in child images or was it always lurking in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'll have to find them first - unregistered burner phone I'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭amandstu

When is the next hearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Owen Jones, Mr always right about everything.

• Advertisement

A question for psychiatrists I’d imagine, but as a lay person I’d be guessing a latent at least interest always there, then maybe got more reckless as capacity to control his desires reduced .
    Which points towards a bigger question around what is the genetic make up of such a person? What bits of the brain or neurons or synapses or what not stop most people from such behaviour and interest but not all .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, those are two different things. Huw Edwards was investigated and no charges brought regarding the images and discussions with the younger guy, which were made public by The Sun. Owen Jones' comment is regarding that issue.

Subsequently, Edwards was investigated regarding these other images and has now pled guilty to these other crimes (likely because maybe evidence was uncovered about these as part of the first investigation).

The Sun had no idea about these items when publishing their story about the first case. Likewise, Owen Jones couldn't have known anything about these subsequent images & messages found.

I mean, this is such a weird thing to throw into this thread. Huw Edwards pleading guilty to possessing child abuse images and videos, and straight away you run to Owen Jones not knowing about it a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They are not two different things they are they same thing, essentially.

How would you know what The Sun knew and didn't know. They probably had something to go on as to what type of person he was.

The Sun were right as to what type person he is. How would Owen Jones know what type person Edwards isn't.

Exposing Owen Jones isn't weird just like Julie Bindle another journalist exposing Owen Jones isn't being weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I am very interested in neuroscience, interested in learning about it and progress is being made in this area. I have Multiple Sclerosis myself, donating my brain to research. The more brains they get from voluntary doners with various issues the more quickly will such science evolve, and indeed could eventually lead to effective interventions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Little did he think when he was the voice of nation for the Queens death it would lead to this. We won't be seeing the BBC airing any of that again. I hope he goes to jail, even if its only for a few months . I recall an interview he gave a couple of years talking about his faith and how important it was to him . The hypocritical weasel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the Sun knew, it puts them in a worse light, as they had knowledge of such activities and didn't bring it to the police.

No suggestion in anything The Sun reported they knew about this, or that this is as a result of information shared by them with the police. They were going after Edwards for the original scandal, which was sleazy and inappropriate but did not appear to be criminal.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Like many a religious nut and clerics and bishops. Swimming coaches, sports coaches, Scouts, teachers and many more. God Almighty what is wrong with these men? What I always thought of as despicable and rare deviancy is now everywhere from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Sun's accusations were based on an account given by the guy's parents, and when investigated by the police no evidence of criminality for that case was found. The Sun also backtracked on their own claims that anything illegal occurred between them, and agreed not to post further stories about it pending new developments. That's what Owen Jones based his tweet on.

Evidence was later found (or identified during their investigation about the first case but not related to the first case otherwise the police wouldn't have said there was no evidence of criminality) regarding Edwards' messages with others, and images/videos unrelated to the first case.

Even at the time, I think I myself said that if the guy in the first case was over the age of consent, then as scummy as it was, it was an awful situation for Edwards. Guess what? I now completely take that back because new information has changed that. Like I said now, I hope he rots in jail.

Your "gotcha" of Jones is based on a tweet from over a year ago based on the evidence that was public at the time, where no evidence of criminality was found, investigation into Edwards (for this case) dropped, The Sun being lambasted by many for being reckless in their reporting on it in breaking the story, and Edwards having a mental breakdown. Unless Owen Jones now tweets that he still supports Edwards given that these chanrges and his guilty plea are now public, you're "gotcha" is completely redundant and distracting from discussion of a guy who literally possessed child abuse material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭its_steve116

This really is a shocking state of affairs. I don't think there's any coming back for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, remember based only on what The Sun \ family had given to the police, multiple police forces did not see any criminality.

Two police forces have said they are not pursuing action against Huw Edwards over claims he paid a teenager for explicit pictures. The Metropolitan Police and South Wales Police looked at allegations against the BBC presenter and both said there was no information to indicate criminal offences had been committed.

https://news.sky.com/story/no-criminal-offence-in-allegations-against-bbc-presenter-says-met-police-12919368

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Particularly with sports, these male predators clearly go into these fields as they are good hunting grounds. Same with the church I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't suppose it would cause an interest in children. Some brain injuries have caused big changes including interest in children that didn't seem to exist before the injury.

Not sure why you'd call it a "so called" mental breakdown if you also think it was real enough to have an effect on his sexual orientation

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't know about that GB News is pretty weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Astartes

Reporting on a guy that was in possession the most extreme child sex abuse images.. Weird alright.

• Advertisement

I doubt even GB News would have that. As much as I dislike their editorial slant, I doubt they're that low.

He's missed the window to do a Russell Brand. Take a big step to the right and push conspiracy theories, and then say it's all a conspiracy to take you down when your past crimes come to light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would happily still criticise The Sun for their awful gutter reporting last year on what was by all accounts a consensual, legal relationship between two adults. It was the worst kind of tabloid reporting that used very specific (weasel) language to imply all kinds of things not borne out by the facts. Even the young adult involved discredited it, not to mention police dismissing the case after investigating it.

It is entirely separate to this subsequent case, in which Edwards' actions were - based on what's in the public domain - grotesque and indefensible, and has rightly lead to this legal action and (following guilty plea) imminent conviction.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

In reply to El Durdrrino 09 .....Mental health being used as a reason for his bizarre behaviour only within last few years given his stable normal behaviour up to then.

Ah, I don't pretend to know his medical history. Are you pretending to know his medical history?

Was his mental ill-health explicitly used as a reason for his behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not a hope he will go to jail. He didn't forward any of them on.

There is a distinction between receiving and distributing.

As for unease for him commentating at the Queens funeral, this is the same Queen who paid off an alleged rape victim?

Apt if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I used to follow Huw Edwards for a very long time when I watched him on the BBC News bulletins on BBC One.

He was one of the most recognisable faces on BBC television throughout that period of time. Nobody in their right minds would have thought back than that a prominent broadcaster like Huw Edwards would become a paedophile.

That's a legacy that cannot be undone. No matter the circumstances.

Having that sort of legacy on your own career does mess other people's heads up to a huge degree. It amplifies the horrors & trauma of child abuse being placed on the victims all over again when it initially came to them for the 1st time through no fault of their own.

I remember watching Huw Edwards was on TV presenting the BBC News at 10 when R. Kelly had been put into jail after he got sentenced to 30 years after one of his child abuse trials concluded in Brooklyn Courthouse in New York City all the way back in 2022. And now less than 2 years later; Huw Edwards who used to work as a broadcaster for the BBC for over 40 years is going to be sentenced in September this year for crimes that relate to a very similar gravity of child abuse.

It just boggles my mind that Huw Edwards is now going to be lumped in with R Kelly in being branded a disgraced pedo for the rest of his life. It's extremely depressing to read this story today. It has changed my perception of those indivduals for the rest of my life and for other well known pedos as well. I hope Huw gets a long sentence for taking part in this crime and has shame placed on him for the rest of his days.

His wife now ex did say he was having mental health issues ...maybe what else could she say at the time?

OK. But did she, or anyone else, say his mental health caused him to be interested in children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering there was nothing public until a few days ago that indicated that, it would have been extremely strange for her to say that and effectively bypass the legal procedures.

That is if it has anything to do with it at all, of course, but its not likely to be a useful legal defence anyway.

Advertisement