Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corps SAR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Bristow is American now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭vswr

didn't know it was turned into a car park circa 2017…. the S-92 was also banned from the designated landing spot near by also due to locals concerns :-D

some backwards sh*te in Ireland sometimes, access to the biggest head trauma unit in the country restricted by air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There is a new one , just finished , but not open yet , end of the summer maybe , ?

I didnt realise it was on top of a building but considering theyre short of green space i suppose its no surprise,

Its got to be over 20 years since they built over the old helipad

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

OH YES There is.

And you can't land an S92 there.

Time to face facts folks. If CHC managed to keep the contract, they'd be doing it with AW aircraft too, because for SAR, the S92 is a dead duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If you are referring to Beaumont, both the S-92 and AW139 land there very regularly - on average, every day or two. The site is at a nearby school, with ambulance transfer to the hospital immediately on landing. That probably takes 3-5 minutes by road. It is something of a work-around, as there isn't a pad on the hospital site, and it is diffcult to see where they could put one, without having to remove something else from the campus.

Still landing at Beaumont woods up to this year.

Please show me where there is a helipad at CUH, If you are referring to Bishopstown GAA then thats not a heli pad its a safe surveyed landing zone.

• Advertisement

When do you plan to visit? Because that's the only way I can show it to you.

It is not yet open, but it's a raised platform on the old Staff car park.

A few thousand tonnes of steel and concrete disagree with you.

OK>

I have no idea what point, if any you are trying to make now.

Helipad built, not yet in use. There for all to see. S92 unable to use it. Google maps not updated to show it yet.

Bristow have responded to the RFI inculding a reply to the DOD and Casement if anyone is looking for light reading.

One of the main issues for the RFIs is the Noise issues.Bristows Consultant reckons with the stud farm it will not be effected. I cant see how they can say in general there wont be much of a noise effect.

On an average day when i see Rescue 116 or AC112 i usuallly hear them a km or two away so the Noise off a AW189 Starting up cold at midnight or 5am is going to have a fair effect on the locals sleep and the Horses!

Best of luck to the SDCC planners because either way i see a JR coming.

I looked at SDCC website but it seems very limited - can't see anything about this issue.

I live reasonably close to Dublin Airport (within earshot of aircraft movments, depending on winds) and the number of nighttime deployments of R116 that I have ever actually heard is very small (and they often fly right over us if headed southbound). The aircraft doesn't go flying for training etc during the nighttime hours, to my knowledge.

I have linked the planning documents below. The fact that you live close to the airport you probably dont even notice the noise anymore because you are so use to it.

The problem with weston and the locals is it is currently 8 to 8 operations which will be now 24/7 and housing is also coming quickly out from celbridge and adamstown. Also there is strong chance that the new HEMS contract will be based out of weston.

The problem for Bristow more so is the contract states they must be within 25km of dublin airport so were they go?

If you ready the documents its clear the DAA do not want them and they cant go to casement so weston is the only option left. So they are left between a rock and a hard place.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/southdublin/application-details/65272

Thanks for the link. I can assure you that I do notice the noise but you are right that people who are used to living in proximity to regular sources of noise tend to disregard them after a while.

I see TII have come back again to SDCC stating that Bristow/Weston are wrong in regards to the development and access roads. With TII against them it will be even harder to get planning.

I dont under stand why they dont have the service base at one of the other bases as this would cut down on some of the planning issues.

This could turn in to a bit of a mess. SDCC are due to make a desicion in the next 10 days.

• Advertisement

Or just keep the SAR base where it always has been, in Dublin Airport…Everything you need is already there, right under your nose.

DAA do not want them or any other provider in Dublin Airport simple as that. They are in the way of a twin runway operation.

I never really bought that excuse…. plenty of European airports support heli ops while using multiple runways.

There are easily flight corridors put in place for this, also as Dublin is only going to be using the single depart runway for the foreseeable, it's easy to route traffic behind an end of a departing runway and out under and around arriving traffic on an arrivals runway (or simply wait to cross the runway, hover taxi and hold short of runway, clear across it in less than 10 seconds).Anyone who has been to Aberdeen will see this in use extensively.

They are trying to clear non-profit making elements to provide room for commercial expansion.

DAA make their own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Wonder how many air movements per day by the helicopters are we talking here? Can't be that many?

even if they were busy, you're probably only talking about 3-4 inbounds and outbounds per day (8 movements total).

There are facilities dotted around various spots on the east coast for them to refuel, so they don't necessarily need to come back to Dublin to refuel, and could temporarily disperse if required. No extra nav equipment would be needed for the heli corridor… RNAV and VOR/DME could be used quite easily. It would be a case of designing the corridors, or just let ATC tactically manage it like they do at the moment.

SAR in the airport is not a money maker, and is using potential high paying private hanger space.

It's long been said that DAA would like to be rid of executive jet movements also. They can account for fifty movements a day, often park for days at a time and also the aircraft themselves are getting ever larger. The western ramp area that most now use could probably be better utilised but there's no alternative at the moment. I think the SAR base issue has to be looked at in this context. It's not a completely standalone issue.

The Air Corps have come out swinging at Bristows consutants Rose Aviation. To say they are not impressed with them is an under statement. I cant put the link up but go to South Dublin County Councils Planning website and you will see an angry Air Corps.

Ironically the consultant that the air corps have an issue with is recruiting techs for the Air Corps PC9s!

Post edited by roadmaster on

They just highlighted the fact they're a pack of lazy f***s.

Roughly 1.5 busts per month currently. Using this as a basis for extrapolating future busts (forgetting Weston is a leisure/teaching airport, busts go hand in hand with these locations, and then comparing it to professional pilots).

They usually have 2 controllers there, similar to Solent Radar in the UK, which deals with roughly 100 busts per year, while deconflicting departing and arriving traffic from Bournemouth and Southampton, liaising with Farnborough, and coping with numerous private airfields and 3 military areas. My heart bleeds for them when they have to deconflict a helicopter from 2 or 3 aircraft in touch and go pattern.

They complain the wrong ref map was used, as the IFR "touches" their (not always active) R zone airspace.

Why isn't this highlighted for the numerous private jets in and out recently.

The same airspace is transited for mountain and some west coast ops, why is it not an issue now?

Majority of OPS are along the coast (i.e. away from Bal restricted airspace).

If they are that concerned, simply liaise with ATC over the phone before take off, contact Bal tower for direct deconfliction, or use Dublin tower to allow radar service around the restriction zone.

Bal Tower are notorious for not answering the phone though… "too busy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/stations/raf-lossiemouth/news/raf-lossiemouth-hosts-irish-air-corps-for-search-and-rescue-cooperation-discussions/

Advertisement