Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Kalimah

You'd want to be fairly innocent to fall for any of those scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭calculator

Tbf if you think about it, loads of people are quite innocent. Technology moves fast and people often can't keep up. Not to mention when it's the elderly being targeted etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Aaah good decision ……. Bit less ‘in your face’ down there.

Beware of the lads with the monkeys for. ‘Petting’. Fcbookers can be carrying disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Sorry, we rang you by mistake. A year or two ago is far too recent for de Lahvlahn!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Let me preface this story by saying I have been working in IT Security for over 15 years.

A couple of years ago, I got a call from a Pakistani scammer who tried to blackmail me. He told me he had hacked my computer and encrypted the hard drive. If I attempted to switch it off or reboot, I would get prompted for the key, and without the key I could not access my data.

Me:"Oh no! But, but, but, how did you encrypt my Windows computer??"

Scammer: I used a well known exploit to gain administrator access on your computer

It's at this point I was suspicious because I dont use windows at home, I use Linux, and Linux does not have an administrator, the super-user is called root. However, I did a quick alt+tab to my shell, ran dmesg and there was no sign of any encrypting going on. ANyway,

Me:"Oh noes! What am I going to do??"

Scammer: If you Western Union me $1000 dollars and email me the receipt, I will tell you the pass key.

Me: OK, I will do it now. What name and Western Union destination will I send it to?

Scammer: <scammers name> and Western Union, whatever street, Karachi, Pakistan. Email address is douchebag491@gmail.com

Me: OK, give me a few minutes.

I went on to Western Union, and sent 1 dollar to the Western Union in the Pakistani town of Karak, downloaded the receipt but before emailing it, I fired up GIMP which is the Open Source answer to photoshop, and changed the $1 to $1000. Saved it as a new image and emailed it to him.

Went back on the phone and told him I'd sent it. You could hear the excitement in his voice and he said "The passkey is <some random string of letters>

Me: Thanks, oh, I just noticed, I made a typo, I sent the $1000 to Karak not Karachi, well nevermind, you can get the bus there. Thanks again, Bye!"

Scammer: no wait.. wait!

<click>

For those of you unfamiliar with the geography of Pakistan, Karak is a city about 3000km from Karachi. Just for context, its further than the distance between Dublin and Moscow. The quickest way to get there is a 5 hour flight, or a bus for 26 hours. Considering the average monthly wage is about $280, a $1000 ransom is a good incentive to travel to go get.

To this day, I wonder what his reaction was after getting a bus for 26 hours, arriving at the Western Union, and getting $1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Won’t be petting any monkeys for sure. Malaysia is mostly a grand place to visit, good roads, food, sanitation, and some very modern shopping centres as well as the original and the primitive. A place you might see Christmas trees in one shop window, and Hindu stuff in the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Yep not a word about Mona. Our first swimming medalist in nearly 30 years and not a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Tow

Joe is auditing for This is You Life?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"Coffin". Joe will try to bring death into any topic.

Joe has not gotten over our last female medal winner swimmer.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

It's much more important to read out the potted life stories of Daniel and his brother. Whose careers he has been following avidly for years no doubt. Such a plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

put a sock in it Joe….please

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

De three twins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

lol Joe reading the thread the Three Twins “as people (on Boards) call them”

telepathy and dat cawlur

Joe too scabby to buy the twins clothes so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Astartes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭archfi

Wednesday being my day for the AirPods, wunnerful technology but unfortunately I can hear flubberchops sucking his teeth clean from his subbed canteen lunch in between asking ‘what’s it like being a twin? Take ur time now’

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

'Tipping each udder', times are different now Joe.

No I don't know them Joe. I don't watch 💩 like Gagglepox.

• Advertisement

she’s not from de north so Joe not interested

Producer must have thought there was a 10 second delay and could cover over the F### bomb.

Is this just going to be about twins so?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Was Eamonn Casey a twin ?

I'd be happy to live the rest of my days never hearing joe uttering the word shifting ever again.

Was it a good quality whisky or did it taste like piss?

They're "celebrities"? 🤣🤣🤣 Never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Could one of the twins turn up their radio a bit louder there it's hard to make out the feedback

• Advertisement

Turn off the twin radio in the background you pair of eejits.

Advertisement