Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s Olympics boxers Paris 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Too late now but I think all the fights are on RTE 2.

How did she do? I didn't hear it mentioned on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Answering my own question

https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow/66546216064

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,538 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Chang just a level above unfortunately.

Seems a bit out of her depth against the Chinese girl. I only saw R3. Chinese girl is sharp.

The few clips I've seen from the boxing seems like there is a lot more of hands down style these days. Looks a bit sloppy. Referring to the Chinese girl

• Advertisement

Too sharp and too strong.

Clear win. We just lack power and strength. Very weak

Tip tap tip tap. Neat lil boxer, but you need that bit strength and bit power/zip

Tomorrow feels fairly make or break for our chances to have a good games. Gallagher and O'Rourke get their campaigns underway and Kellie fights for a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

When in Marleys next fight ?

Thursday at 21:00 QF medal bout vs. Tajikistan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I know lot of punching power you are born with but why do our boxers seem so weak, is it wrong s&c we doing?

• Advertisement

No.

We just don’t have heavy handed boxers a lot of the time. Very little to do with training or technique. We just don’t seem to produce boxers who have effortless power, or even decent power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Mcgregor in mma seemed be only one with power we have produced in combat sports. Part reason he is what he is. Fans love kos.

Yes, he has heavy hands alright. Forgetting even what fans like, having ok-decent power is amost always needed to get to the top. You have to be able to stun, hurt and discourage your opponent. It's all well and good (with little power) when meeting very weak opposition who can't hurt you, but when you step up and you have someone strong, who can punch clean and hard, you need to be able to get their respect.

Dean Clancy lost the other day to a very basic opponent, who won because Dean couldn't at all hurt him, discourage him, or stop him pressing forward. Dean's very weak power was a factor in that loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Ye Andy Lee probably the biggest one punch KO fighter we've had. His hook was lethal. Frampton had decent power at SBW as well. But generally ye we aren't power punchers. Nobody who's out so far was someone I thought would medal. I'm hoping Harrington, Rourke and maybe one more. 3 medals would be good going imo.

Tomorrow Jude Gallagher 57 Kgs 14:30 last 16 and Kellie 16:55 QF 60 kgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭megadodge

No country produces big punchers on a regular basis.

Big punchers are rare!

But when you have 350 million Americans the mathematical probability is they will produce more big punchers than Ireland's 6 million.

Not very hard to figure out really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You need to do a bit of homework on the professional records of young and upcoming Callum Walsh, Tommy Hyde and an honourable mention to Brandon McCarthy. That's three young fellas off the top of my head that know what it's like to KO an opponent.

Plenty of Irish boxers were well known and feared for their power.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Yes, we produce punchers here and there. But remember, sometimes opposition needs to be considered, as well as manner of victory

As mega said, real punchers are rare, and we have a small pool here…

I have been following our amateurs years. Power punchers is not something I’d say about us as regards what we produce.

And where do you think the three lads learned their trade?

They are products of the Irish amateur scene.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

I am well aware these now pros (like Lee) were amateurs.

Example: Pierce O’Leary getting hyped as a puncher. Was never a puncher as an amateur. Few good KOs against very poor pro opposition doesn’t change that.

Ah yeah, never threw a powerful punch in his life.

Nine times National Champion with 140 wins from 150 fights, all hype, couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag.

If begrudgery is what floats your boat, sail away.

You see to be running away with yourself here. #

Nobody is begrudging anyone anything, and nor is anyone dismissing his success. It's specific to talking about labeling boxers punchers, is all.

I'll leave it there, as it is clear you are incapable of discussing it without resorting to lil sensitive outbursts.

Where are the insensitive outbursts?

You made a blanket statement that Ireland doesn't produce power punchers and when you were given 3 quick examples of young Irish boxers with fantastic Knock Out records your response was to belittle their opponents.

In an attempt to strengthen your argument you then gave Pierce O Leary as an example, his amateur record is up there with the best in the world. He won 140 out of 150 fights, he won 9 National Titles and he's won 8 of his 15 professional fights by Knock Out.

Gift wrap it anyway you want but that is begrudgery at it's finest.

Nobody is begrudging or belittling anyone. People who bandy about the begrudgery card usually incapable of reasonable discussion. You’re going off with silly lil points about “wet paper bags and never threw a heavy punch in his life” nonsense.

Of course we can produce punchers. Nobody said otherwise. We have done so. It’s just not something I’d “generally” associate with our boxers.

We’re a relatively small island and population. As said already, punchers are rare. In Irish boxing this description fits well. You listing a few boxers and clinging to boxrec to say otherwise doesn't change that.

And just for clarity: There are levels to punching/punchers: From Julian Jackson/Tyson to Ray Leonard/Hagler to Mosley to Oscar to Floyd to Pea Whitaker to Malignaggi. The real power punchers, the good solid punchers, the good, the average and the weak.

So when I discuss the topic and say that we don't seem to produce punchers, I am not saying all our boxers are Malignaggi like. Punchers to me are in the Jackson/Tyson to say Ray Leonard range. Elite to the good/sold variety

And I am not ready to label Callum Walsh or Tommy Hyde just yet as punchers in the above category: Elite to the good/solid variety

Of recent times we had Carl Frampton. I would label him a decent puncher, but not a puncher in the true fight-changing sense. Can get opponents’ respect, but nothing too heavy

James Tennyson a notch higher. Proper solid puncher.

Post edited by walshb on

3/2 first rd to Philippines. Thought he won it well. Galkagher needs to up the pace

Rd win for Gallagher for rd 2 I thought.. but 5-0 for Philippines..

Needs huge rd here to win

I just caught the last two minutes of the second. Thought he did alright. The Filiplino fella has very good movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lonester99

the judges have decided whos won the fights before either fighter even steps in the ring, second round scoring shows that.

Advertisement