Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,456 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nuclear is NOT zero CO2, it is low CO2. It is also not renewable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have not been proven wrong. It's reasonably simple maths. I have given the costings multiple times and gotten nothing but silence and side slipping topic changes.

Even the very expensive Finnish OK-3 reactor, recently completed and commissioned, which was far more expensive than Korean built reactors, is far cheaper than commercial scale solar in Ireland, if you care to do the maths.

German dealers say private orders for electric cars have fallen by nearly half in 2024

July 31, 2024

That no ICE by 2030 might come to pass, but i doubt it from current trends. A survey of EV owners in the US recently found near 50% of current EV owners intend to switch back to ICE with their next purchase.

Using nuclear to displace either coal or gas, results in a far higher reduction in CO2 than any other technology, beating solar and wind by a large margin. I'm wondering what makes you claim that nuclear energy isn't zero CO2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Well stupid people need to have their stupid choices taken away from them by the government if the world is to survive for much longer

No one is talking about the environment destroying waste of nuclear? For thousands of years.

Fusion is the future once we work it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Jesus give it a break, even if nuclear makes sense in other countries it'll never make sense here

We've some of the highest construction wages in Europe, I doubt the industry will accept a 50% wage cut just to work on a nuclear reactor. It'll make Hinckley Point C look like the bargain if the century by comparison

Are we going to have a single plant powering the entire country? What happens when it has to shut down, we'll just sit around a candle in a preindustrial society while we wait for it to come online again

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Nah I'll just switch to the EPS supply on my inverter and good ol' Sol and lithium will provide 🤣

37% of Irish workers are deemed to earn so little money they pay no income tax on their earnings. You seriously think you can just overnight force everyone to cough up for an EV? How about forcing them to spend €120k to retrofit their houses so they can be forced to use a heat pump, and then force them to put solar panels on their roofs? €160k of forcing per household should do the trick. Our current national debt amounts to €42,300 per person, with the average household size of 2.74, that means your forcing would only come to an additional debt of €58,400 per person, bringing our debt to only €100.7K per head of population. Great idea, it's only money, force them to borrow from a bank, unaffordable private borrowing from banks, we know that no harm can possibly come from that.

Fusion creates far more nuclear waste than fission. It's only saving grace is it's less long lived, but there is an awful lot more of it. Care to provide examples of the environmental destruction caused by nuclear waste? I haven't managed to find a single human death attributable to almost a 100 years of nuclear reactors. The amount of waste from nuclear is tiny in terms of volume. If you created a slug of Synroc - a safe way of dealing with nuclear waste - the size of a can of soup, it could contain all of the waste resulting from producing all of the energy a person uses in their entire lifetime. Drop that slug 2-3km down a bore hole into a 100-300 million year old salt layer,and job done for millions of years longer than necessary for even plutonium to decay.

Given our construction costs, would it not have been a better idea to not build the National Childrens Hospital, or the motorways, or come to think of it, wouldn't these extra costs also make the already hugely expensive offshore wind farms even worse of an idea than they are already? It's a zero sum game. We need the NCH so we build it, even though the same thing in Perth cost a fraction. Nuclear likely would cost more to build here, but that applies to renewables infrastructure, and power grids - speaking of which, I haven't even factored the savings on grid build out for renewables into my cost savings yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

@cnocbui you haven't posted this nonsense in the Nuclear for Ireland thread in ages because it has been picked apart.

I've posted several key differences between Ireland and Continental Europe for several years now. Stop wasting everyone's time.

You could put me on ignore, in order to save your precious time. It's the best way to fix things when discussions are not to your liking.

• Advertisement

You'll have a mob at your door asking for some boiled water for tea

And what happens if there's a shutdown?

Wouldn't it be more economical to build more interconnectors to piggyback off France and the UK's nuclear power supply?

That would totally undermine the whole point of having debate.

Interconnectors are a mugs game. The Celtic interconnector is on course for costing €2-3 billion for a paltry 0.7GW of capacity. The white elephant is so over budget they have stopped issuing reports about by how much it's over budget.

If it ends up costing €2.5 billion, that's €3.57 billion per GW of capacity, of which it generates none - zero - nada. We have to pay for the energy on top of that. Poland were recently was offered six APR-1400 reactors by S Korea at €2.94 billion per GW.

Do I really need to explain which is a better use of money? Even without mentioning that Russian Kilo class subs have now twice been skulking near the Irish sea? You'd have thought Nordstream would have put paid to stupid enthusiasm for interconnectors, but it seems not.

You can not rely on spare French nuclear, because the stupid Germans are making the same mistake Ireland is. The next Pan European multi week dunkelflaut will mean every country in Europe that is reliant on wind - like Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, Uk, us, etc - will be pleading with the French for every spare watt of nuclear they can get. As it will probably come down to a bidding war, I'm fairly confident that Germany and the Netherlands can handilly outbid us.

As for shutdowns, the mistaken belief is that Ireland could at most justify one reactor, when it could handily take 8 or more. With electrification of transport - EV's - and heating - heat pumps and industry, our energy requirements are going to more than double. The ESB projections are absolutely mind blowing - just for energy storage it's a trillion Tesla Powerwalls or 2 Hiroshima sized nuclear weapons worth of stored Hydrogen. You've seen the 'history of hydrogen' gag in 'The Martian'? It's Ironic people use Fukashima as a nuclear scare story when it was a hydrogen explosion that blew it up (thanks to Sabine Hossenfelder for pointing that out).

So yes, a reactor shutdown would be problematic if you just had one, so we build at least 6+, and if we are smart, one extra to export via the white elephant when the wind reliants are begging for ergs and to make hydrogen when they are not - for transport, making fertiliser (ammonia) to replace that we import. The French are so dumb with their nuclear they earn enough from energy exports to build a new reactor every 3 years.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Boards isn't for debate!

In the Irish energy infrastructure thread, the mod declared that only renewables could be discussed, and directed that all things nuclear should be discussed in a separate nuclear for Ireland thread. Then the same mod grew uncomfortable with cost comparrisons between nuclear and wind in that thread and declared that such comparrisons were verbotten and grounds for thread banning. Quite how you can argue the merits of different energy technologies and infrastructure strategies without cost comparisons is a conundrum I am yet to puzzle out.

It is a Nuclear for Ireland thread. That topic has almost never been discussed because of non-stop anti renewable diatribe.

If you are about to get banned from a thread opened just for you, then look in the mirror bro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭deezell

I'm in, especially when the response to your winning debate is an attempt to silence you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It would cost £128 Bn to provide 3GW of low emissions power over the 16 years it's taking the Czechs to add a Generation III reactor to an existing nuclear power plant. And that's not including another £31.7 Bn of subsidies for carbon capture.

At most that could only save you an average of 5% emissions between 2040 and 2050 because that's were renewables are heading. And that 5% would only be if you had a magic reactor that didn't need backup for planned and unplanned outages, didn't need spinning reserve, and could ramp up to meet any and every shortfall in demand.

Iron-Air batteries sound like something that could get really cheap in future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We may be getting more electrified lines. And trains with batteries. Decarbonisation and all that for 2050.

€36 bn or so.

36bn is pennies, people have up to about 145bn euro in savings at this moment in time, so not sure how Ireland is classified as poor.

• Advertisement

While I'm all for it, I think 36bn is vastly underestimating the cost. Could spend that on legal and consultants fees alone

I hope it goes ahead but I can also see some future government playing the cost overrun power card and vastly scaling back the project, or underfunding it to the point where tickets are more expensive than driving

Whole bunch of societal failures resulting in large amounts of the country's wealth being in stuff that has little utility to the people living here (aircraft being a great example)

For full disclosure, I've always worked for multinational companies that invest heavily in Ireland. They do bring wealth and jobs to the country, but we're hooked on their tax revenue like an addict mainlining heroin

Couple that with a property market which is trickling out houses just enough to keep the price where they want it, plus just general high cost of living issues and you end up with the richest country in the world by GDP per capita somehow having a housing crisis and a whole generation of disillusioned people who don't see a future worth working towards

Asking prices for houses in Dublin went up by something like €25k last year. So for someone saving €2k a month after rent then you've literally just lost an entire year of saving up for a deposit

Easy to see then why people check out of the whole process and just give up

Anyway.... sorry for the rant, trains are good, we need more of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

37% of Irish workers are deemed to earn so little money they pay no income tax on their earnings. You seriously think you can just overnight force everyone to cough up for an EV? How about forcing them to spend €120k to retrofit their houses so they can be forced to use a heat pump, and then force them to put solar panels on their roofs? €160k of forcing per household should do the trick. 

You make some good points cnocbui, but that one I'd have to dispute. Gradual phase out over 15-20 years isn't overnight, and EV's are getting to the point now where they are in or about the same price as equivalent ICE cars of the same spec. 2nd hand market for EV's is actually blunting the sales of new EV's as the secondhand market/depreciation on EV's isn't great. That's not to say EV's are bad, but if you were lower earning, a 2nd hand EV might be a solid purchase. (Disclaimer I've a 16 year old petrol car) https://www.goldmansachs.com/intelligence/pages/why-are-ev-sales-slowing.html

As for the whole nuclear debate, people think that it's a binary thing. Nuclear = good or nuclear = bad.

People who've been here for awhile will know, it's not so simple. Generally I'd be supportive of a lot of the newer nuclear designs. Some Thorium reactors sound promising if they can get production capable, but them aside your bog standard nuclear stations are generally more expensive than renewables …...but they don't behave the same. To start unilaterally arguing on cost alone isn't right either.

Same with interconnectors. Expensive as hell, but once in place it opens up a lot of flexibility. What you need in any grid is a solid mix of power. If Ireland wasn't 50-55 deg north, I'd double down on solar, but it is what it is. If someone came up with a solid proven nuclear design that was 50% more expensive than solar per GWh, and it brought a reliable additional input, I'd give them my money - but it'd be based on sound engineering rational that it brings certain benifits that we can't get elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭conor_mc

treating an interconnector as an import-only instrument to make your point isn’t particularly fair, since exporting of excess wind&solar is also possible, thereby improving the business case.

You'd have to give away excess nighttime wind back down an interconnecter, who would pay more than a few cent for it. And your backwards feed would have to be stable, not fluctuating, so you'd have to back it up with fossil here, which could end up costing more. It's not simple or trivial to get large scale export of renewables profitable.

We only stopped paying huge levies to wind when the domestic rate exceeded 35c. I really like the idea of paying subsidies here to send unprofitable wind energy abroad. Not. Who remembers unaffordable butter here in the 60s, as we subsidised the exports to the UK? (they had dirt cheap colonial new zealand butter you see). It was 10 shillings a pound or something here, and 2 in the UK. Irish people had to spread Stork margarine on their bread. Ugh. Fk that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭conor_mc

We've already seen the French nuclear fleet creaking the past two summers with shutdowns and high loads for A/C, etc., and that fleet is not getting any younger. It's actually quite conceivable that with a combination of much larger volumes of wind/solar/storage in Ireland over coming years that we could be selling into Europe at their peak prices. Not saying we're at that point yet but to compare it to Stork in the 60's is ridiculous, the opportunity in front of us is more like MNC's in the 80's if we're smart enough to grasp it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭curioustony

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

have a system installed 2 years, it has tripped the emergency switch twice now in a month. I will get on to the installer tomorrow but anyone got an idea of what can cause this?

I presume you meant the ac connections on or beside the consumer unit. There should be a current trip and leakage breaker. Either will point to some issue in the inverter, as this is the only mains connected device. Does the inverter have online access, and access to logs, assuming you can get it to stay on for long enough. Try isolating the panels using the DC switch, see does the inverter idle without tripping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thinking about it nothing has tripped. the breaker is still up. the last time, turning the rotary isolator switch next to the inverter off , and back on again a few minutes worked. there was no fault logged in inverter logs. This time, that hasn't worked yet. will try isolating the panels. tried that, makes no difference. inverter won't come on. light on projoy fireman switch blinking, will look into that..

Advertisement