Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭etuzyuk

Might be too much movement. Top goes up, bottom goes down. 2 & 3 playoff. Winner of top 2nd/3rd playoff plays loser of bottom 2nd/3rd playoff in a relegation/promotion final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breffnitightlips

More movement would mean more to play for, teams might be less likely to concede games, less likelihood off teams been comfortable in mid table, an extra place at top and bottom would add a bit more excitement?

Six to 1, half a dozen to the other. Personally, I think 2 spots for movement is plenty. If you step up you should earn it and not be out of your class the next year. If you don't top your division or can't best one of the bottom 3 teams from the next tier up, maybe you need to stay where you are for another year and work a bit on your progress.

One thing most of us can agree on though is the current format is crazy. You top your league you deserve promotion, you finish bottom losing all your games and in fact conceding some, a kick in the hole is all you should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Cavan win an all Ireland title, beating Kerry in a final and not a peep on here?

Well done the Cavan LGFA minors. Mighty performance. I was very worried that we were going to let a 10 point lead slip but it was a serioulsy gutsy performance to see it out. Solid performances all over the pitch but special mention to Sinead Kelly and Blaniad Smith in the full back like, Cora McDonnell and Alex Peters in the half back line and Eillie Brady lording it up in the middle of the park.

Emma Tolan and Katie Fegan were a constant threat but Ella Sheridan rightly got player of the match- she was everywhere and I think she even got that late block in to deny a Kerry goal.

Any day a Cavan team lifts a trophy is a good one, but beating Kerry in an all Ireland final is to be savoured. With the recent u16 success (and continued schools success) surely in years to come we will see this translate into senior success?

Yeah hopefully Baconsarnie. Congratulations to the ladies. Few from last year's U16s on that minor team. U16's did it again this year so minor will be very strong again next year. Ran away with Ulster U16 last year so you'd imagine they should be in the sake up again in minor next year. U14s made the A final this year. Some very good footballers can't get a look in to those county panels. Hopefully will translate to senior eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,036 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Haven't Cavan girls won a few All Irelands this year, 3 if i'm right. Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mylestheslasher

They lost the A final at U14 aet against Galway. I was told 11 of the starting team in minor underage again next year but not sure if true. Maybe the men setup need to swallow their pride and go and see what the cavan lgfa are doing at underage as I think it's unheard of for a county our size (or maybe any county) contesting 3 A finals, winning 2, in one season. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Cohaw

on a separate note. Any sign of the championship fixtures being released.

Imagine the hysteria if Cavan men got into the u14, u16 and minor ULSTER finals one year- never mind the All Irelands! And to win two of the three is some achievement. The growth of ladies football at a club level in the last few years has been brilliant and fingers crossed this underage succesess continues and feeds into strong intercounty level at adult grade. Is an intermediate all Ireland something we could be hoping for in the near future? And then…

Would be great if this momentum is also met with support from the fans. Good numbers on Saturday in Tullamore (Cavan easily outnumbered Kerry by 2-1 but there was a distance issue there) but would like to think with more success, more people will start attending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭celt262

The clubs are obviously doing great work but i think the schools are also doing there part especially Loretto and Virgina college with many titles going there in recent years. A lot of these groups have several medals at provisional and national level and are used to winning so when they get to these finals they know they belong there and have no fear. And no doubt there are many young girls at u10 and u12 watching their club mates winning all these titles and saying that they will do the same when the time comes.

Is there more emphasis on skills with these underage groups i wonder instead of gym work and running around cones.

The boys schools football has not been at the races in a long time and our underage County teams have been no where near good enough, whether that's down to club coaching or development squad coaching i don't know but from reading here the development squads seem to been getting neglected.

Also the first Provisional title that boys can represent there county in is U17 whilst the girls can at U14 which would definitely help in team building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭rrs

Is there a need for All Ireland at u14? The players are in development Squads but to be aiming for an All Ireland at that age seems a bit soon.

Definitely right about the schools, and that should be celebrated as it has not only developed players skills but their confidence that they can compete and win at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't know if there is much need it doesn't seem to do any harm with the girls but with boys it would probably be taking far to serious and some counties would have young lads out training five nights a week and make bits of them.

They have organised club leagues at U12 level where U12 boys are not and you are expected to tell them every GoGame they play ended in a draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Once the county team end, you don’t see much in here.

We had two club League finals at the weekend too. I went to the game in Kilnaleck.

Both teams will do well to stay senior much longer going on what I saw. Cormac Timoney the pick of the players on show.

Lavey must be counting their blessings Paddy is injured for the first round as he generally puts up a show against them.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

An Intermediate wouldn't really be breaking new ground for us. Senior is where it's at.

And players would be hyped up to be the next big thing before they get to 15 or 16. When they use to have the underage International Rules at U17, there was lots of players who didn't push to on to County Senior.

Understand the concerns about over-hype but it's not unique to this county. Every good sportsperson in every sport in every walk of life, if they show great potential, are going to be hyped up and talked about. There's no getting round it. If you're not being hyped up you're simply not in the bigger picture. Up to the individual and coaches to manage that to a certain degree but ultimately if you can't handle hype you don't have the temperament for top level sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Exactly, we just need to make sure we have a stable Senior intercounty dressing room with plenty of experience to provide role models and group discipline for young talented lads that have been hyped up like this. There were long periods in the past when we haven't had this and it showed.

It happens in all Sports of course. Hype can cause some players to slack off and think they have made it others can't handle the attention. The local podcast can get carried away at times with players but they have to discuss something.

Looking at McGeeney and his longevity, was 2016/2017 a ‘sliding doors’ moment for Cavan GAA - had we just stuck with Terry Hyland how far could we have gone?

Listening to discussion about Gareth Southgate and England fans criticising him, I think Cavan supporters forget how far Terry brought us in his tenure.

We moved from being blessed to not be relegated to Division 4 in 2012 (immediately after which he took over) to promotion to Division 1 in 2016. It was a remarkable turn around.

• Advertisement

That would be great. There should be a culture of hard work they come into, nothing should come easy, but hard work should always be rewarded too regardless of experience. Likewise if standards have dropped, so should the person, regardless of experience.

I really liked Hyland as a manager of the squad. Mightn't have been the best sometimes tactically and not "jazzy" enough for a lot of casual fans, but I genuinely can't remember two no show performances in a row under him. In fact don't remember too many at all. You could not slack off with him. He still had the dressing room and I think he should have stayed on but maybe he felt his voice was waning and would eventually lose the support of the clubs. But we progressed ever year under him and innovated on tactics. Left a great squad in a great position for the men coming next.

It was a strong panel in 2016. The likes of Keating was coming in off the bench. Givney was playing full forward. The last year either player featured with Cavan. The likes of Monaghan and Armagh hold on to their players a lot longer.

We Are Cavan have said since he left because a section of the players wanted him to. It was very short sighted unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭mogue77

any word of who is in for the job of running the development squads?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tazman06

Senior fixtures for 2 weeks time announced

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭quidel7

Don’t know why it says Reserve championship on the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tazman06

Yeah they sent new fixture sheet minutes after with that corrected

I definitely remember hearing something about lads "wanting a fresh approach". I also seem to remember that the county board were only willing to give Terry one more year as opposed to something more long-term. I may be completely off the mark there.

Either way, at the time I thought it was one of the most ludicrous decisions ever made. Barring 2014, year on year there was progress and the football we played in 2016 was superb. On a practical basis, Terry had earned the right to have a crack at division one football. In hindsight, maybe what was needed was freshing up the backroom team (which seems to be the norm now). He was a brilliant manager and didn't get the credit he deserved, then or now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mylestheslasher

The thing is things had stalled a bit with Terry regarding championship, our league form was decent with him but we didnt seem to be able to step it up. And I was a great admirer of Terry and am so grateful for what he did for Cavan football at the time. The decision to move to a new man did pay dividends, we contested 2 Ulster finals in a row and won one of them. However it went stale under Graham too and the relegation to Div 4 was utterly disastrous for us. So overall I cant say that the decision for Terry to move on was a bad one overall but I think Cavan GAA should have done everything they could to get the man back in with the underage teams where he was so good. Lets hope Raymond can tweak things and get some improvements from last year.

Speaking of underage I see our U16s won the Gerry Reilly tournament, easily beating Meath in the final.

Advertisement