Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭fits

2 weeks in Dordogne and Aquitaine.

Last week was very comfortable temperature wise. This week up to 37 and 38 and roasting at night. Impossible to predict it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Starting to think early June was the best time to go

Now I just need to convince the schools of that 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Urgh, dunno about that. The weather in the northern areas was as poxy as here during June. It can be really hit and miss.

A potentially better solution is to find a campsite where the mobiles have air conditioning. Our mobile in Bonne Anse Plage had it and although it wasn't roasting this year, it helped cool the place down at night if we had been using the oven and/or hob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We've started using the Aircon every night. Windows closed keeps the mozzies and other bugs out which helps too. Everyone just sleeps better.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Le Comptoir Libanais

We ate there with the kids. Gorgeous food. You may need to book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

hi I’m just looking to see if anyone has booked any package deals for ferry and camp to France etc? I’ve been looking and not much is popping up. I created a thread for this. But can a mod delete, as I’ve just found this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Can anyone recommend any websites for a first timer planning a family trip next summer (2025).

Details on when to book ferry/campsites, requirements when bringing a dog, hints & tips etc.

Post edited by sparrowcar on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

basically the same, think the kids will be ready for that kind of holiday, they’ll be 6 and 4. Ferry from Cork preferably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not being funny but this thread is the best source for that info! 373 pages of info!

Not sure I'd risk the website search function these days 🫣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 auntieo

I’m in a few facebook groups which were a great help when we were planning our first French campsite holiday. “Camping with kids in France” would be a good one. Mainly Irish on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭flyer_query

ferries this year seemed less busy, I think the bananas prices are finally impacting bookings, especially Irish ferries. Proof being the sales they have been running for the last 4weeks with kids travelling free, it was cheaper for us to cancel our November booking and rebook their sale price.

So my tips would be 1. Book flexi so you can change date / cancel. 2. Avoid Irish ferries who are a greedy company where all their staff are low cost Eastern European who look miserable which does impact your 18hrs on the boat, everything with Irish ferries is an extra cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

373 pages of info is funny… it's 373 pages of specific experiences generally. Very hard to decipher any good info without taking a week off work :)

The search function is shocking.

We went out on the 12th and it was busy enough but came back on the Monday overnight ferry this week and it was really empty. They even had cars on deck 5 which is where they usually have trucks and caravans. Deck 7 was deserted.

Can't agree re the staff though. I find them very helpful and friendly. It's a tough enough gig and some of them hve been working on that route since I started going from Dublin to Cherbourg in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭flyer_query

We sailed out Irish Ferries and back Stena Line so its fresh in our minds. Staff were a world of difference between the two, its amazing what a friendly smile and hello can do which Stena staff are trained to do. Just a simple example where Stena staff handed out kids coloring packs as we boarded and said hello and asked did we need help finding our cabin all done with a smile whereas Irish Ferries staff just stood hoping not to be asked a question there and they hid their coloring packs away in their customer inquiries desk.

The main thing Irish Ferries has going for it is sailing into Dublin and they know this and therefore can get away with higher fares and not being a direct compare to Stena. Our Irish ferries (€915) fare was 50% more expensive than the Stena (€614) one, fair enough Irish Ferries sail further but our Stena fare included breakfast and a better cabin so you could say the 50% difference was more. We sailed WB yeats and felt poor options for kids with only a tiny soft play area so it consists of small kids trying to dodge 10 year olds jumping everywhere, I think its part of their plan as they get to upsell the cinema so thats another €50 cost. Irish Ferries for me has always been poor customer service and everything costs money with them.

Regarding staff, you just have to remember the massive damage P&O inflicted on themselves in the UK when they sacked all their local staff and hired cheap labor, Irish Ferries did this in 2005 and got away with it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-ferries-will-abandon-routes-unless-staff-go-quietly/25967299.html

Yeah I can fully understand your view.

I guess my kids are a bit older so my view is a little different. I have very little interaction with staff bar the bar staff and the staff in the Lady Gregory restaurant but have found all of them very pleasant. My kids are happy enough to amuse themselves/read/explore the WB Yeats (we travel with friends) and we have a picnic each way so the cost doesn't impact us too much.

There definitely seemed to be a sharp drop in proces from last autumn to this summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

i dont understand the fascination with the staff on the ferry.

They are poorly paid and overworked so im not looking for much from them but always found them fine.

That and the fact that you can bring all your own food and drink on boards with you means there can be next to no interaction with staff u less you go looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Pick your dates and book the ferry first, make sure to book toofbox or bike rack if your bringing one

Then find campsites that suit what your looking for, distance away from the ferry, size of site, prox to beaches and towns, age of your kids and how the site suits them.

have the car serviced before you go.

Pack snacks for journey.

Bring an airfryer

Leave room for wine on way back

Do laundry onsite and pack less

socket adapters.

Take the time to read through this thread and you will get a wealth of info

Bring a bar/tube of Vanish too because the washing machines in most of the campsites are, quite frankly, shite 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭idontknowdoyou

The search function works okish if you use "ferry france"+"xx" what every you want to search. I was looking up cooler boxes for our next trip and it worked reasonably well when I searched "ferry france"+"cooler box"

• Advertisement

We got some detergent pods, they're pretty handy plus they usually come in a box so you can shove a few colour catchers, vanish pods and a delicates bag in as well

Bring some dishwasher tablets as well if your accommodation has a dishwasher

I'll add a few (travelled Irish Ferries):

French workers like strikes, build some flexibility into your schedule to accommodate this

If it's your first time, maybe try to minimise the driving to and from the ferry. I was quite nervous but found it to be a lot easier, however I'm also glad I didn't sign up for a 6 hour drive for my first time

If, like me, you're a bad sleeper then keep in mind you might not get a great night's sleep on the ferry. Factor this in when planning your driving, you might want to break a long drive up into smaller ones with a couple hours break in between (or even an overnight in a hotel if you're very tired). It's better to arrive late, alive and slightly poorer than not arrive at all

In general you can get anything you need in supermarkets there, but keep in mind they're selling supermarket quantities. You probably don't need 30 dishwasher tablets, a full tub of detergent powder or 1l of olive oil for a week's holiday. For some things it's easier and less wasteful to bring stuff from home

Get some mini cereals for the ferry for breakfast, buy a carton of milk from the cafe. Maybe consider a travel kettle and teabags if you're really looking to save

Bring bags of popcorn for the cinema on the ferry and lots of snacks for kids

The muffins on Irish Ferries are excellent though, worth treating yourself to one or three IMO 😁

Have a bag of essential supplies (toilet roll, 1 days worth of food, etc). French shops are all closed on Sunday and your ferry might get delayed

Bring some tea towels, oven gloves, bin bags, a chopping board and tinfoil or baking paper. Oil spray is also handy

Bring your pillows from home for some extra comfort while sleeping

Don't forget your medicines like paracetamol and ibuprofen (and kids ones as well). Grab a few OTC medicines for.... let's say digestive problems and bring them. Hopefully you don't need them, but you want them close if you do

If you have a cordless vacuum like a Dyson then it could be worth bringing it. Pretty sure none of the accommodations have hoovers. If yours has one of the mini floor heads (I think they're called pet tool) then that's a less bulky option than the full sized floor attachment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭webpal

If anyone is heading to Rosslare this week, give yourself some extra time. Fleadh is on in Wexford town which is closed to traffic including the bridge from 10am-4am (following day) each day. Park and ride available. Ring road (N25) is fine but there will be delays on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Second this and generally dear enough! The one in Les Menhirs wasn't too bad, but if you are in Les Ormes, the laundry room is tiny for the size of the campsite. We normally go out to the laverie at Super U and do it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Baybay

K2r détachant for stain removal is a vastly superior product than Vanish, imo so we always bring a couple home with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Deeman83

How did you find Les Brunelles? Is there a good mix of Irish and other nationalities on site? I.e. plenty of english speakers for the kids to make friends?

Is there any open green spaces, football pitches etc,?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I can appreciate this is a very helpful post but I just can't understand worrying about bringing all this stuff on holiday.

We've done French eurocamps for the last 2 summers, flew in and hired a car. We went to an intermarche both times on the day we landed and did a full shop (about €150) and didn't have to worry about packing things from home. Surely to god, it's easier to fly, hire a car and just do a shop when you get where you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Over 20 years experience and still going despite kids flown the nest. Some great advice already given, so off the top of my head, I would say:

Decide what matters most to your family…… beach / town / sports / pool / entertainment / road trip / time of year etc

French Camp sites are graded on their amenities such as pools, slides, sports, restaurant and the to 4/5 star ones have everything. However, just because a camp site is 3 star does not mean its a kip and in some cases those sites have so much locally that they dont need the extras.

Most French people have some English, but often dont bother if you come across as making no effort to speak French ….. a few phrases goes a long way and you will be surprised how helpful they can be if you make the effort.

Roscoff is a small port and easy to get in and out of, Cherbourg is much bigger and busier.

Northern France can have Irish weather up to July, my advice would be to drive south to the Vendee as its less industrial and driving is easier (sat navs are great, use one but stick to motorways as you can end up on roads the size of a footpath!).

Looking at a map can be deceptive, use AA Autoroute to assess your journey times and allow for pit stops.

Bring your pillows from home is a great tip ! as is a mobile with a deck that allows you chill on your doorstep.

Speed traps work there and in recent times, many Irish drivers have got unwanted fines post holiday as the French can now track your Reg…. its not worth the risk and they also time you between toll bridges for evidence of speeding in some cases.

We have always booked directly with French campsites as it gave us far more choice and suited our sense of independence. All camp sites offer deals and their high season is late July / August, shop around and dont forget to look at whats local for your kids and yourselves of course.

WiFi is much improved over the years and a huge bonus if you want to use your laptop/tablet for TV etc in the evenings.

Finally, it can be expensive…. but does not have to be, there is value to be had.

Enjoy, treat it as an adventure and remember you are making memories that will last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭gaillimh

Whatever about bringing stuff from home - I’m with you on the fly drive side of things.

We did the ferry last year for the first time. We won’t be doing it again. So much holiday time wasted.

We left our house on Saturday morning and did not get to our destination until after 6pm on the Sunday.

This year we had an early flight and were at our destination around 10:30am in the South of France. And we did not need to hire a car in the end.

No brainer for me

• Advertisement

Maybe, obviously if you're flying you've constraints on luggage which is going to result in some priority calls being made.

I guess when you're taking a car there's a temptation to bring the proverbial kitchen sink since you've more space

I based the list on a bunch of things we wished we'd had on our last (and first) Eurocamps holiday. We made do without a lot of the stuff, for example by using one of the bath towels as a combo dish towel and oven glove

It worked, but it would have been nice to have some other options

We can't really fly at the moment anyway because my daughter has been having issues with ear pain and pressure changes make it a lot worse. It's difficult to book a flight ahead when you don't know when she'll have an episode of ear pain

I wouldn't really say the plane is easier or more difficult, just a different set of challenges. I find the whole experience of dealing with airports and airlines to be very unpleasant, like I'm suffering for someone's amusement and profit

There's definitely a dropping off point where flying is the only option, can't imagine driving to the south of Spain would go over well with the missus, and it's kind of hard to do a weekend break with 2 overnight ferry journeys

However I didn't feel inconvenienced by taking the ferry even if it cost me some time

Advertisement