Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2024

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Made 4 acres of hay there now. Rained on the last dozen or so bales.

How much is charged by contractor to any man who got rounds of hay baled??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

all baled up this evening after. Was in great shape. One meadow still to do . Couldn’t get to it done week but will wrap it be next week or the next dry spell.

don’t know he doesn’t do up the bill until everything is done for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I made a few wynds there this evening for the craic, there was a bit of help around and we'd a grand few hours of sweatin' and banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

I keep an eye on the weather and measure rainfall. When people think of hay the top thing that would come up is weather. No weather no hay. Sure you need a field fit, but weather still trumps that. There is a reason why a lot of turf is still in the bog. Back to the weather again, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

Cut 7acs Tuesday AM , 1 heavy, 1 light field. Light field could be ready tomorrow, savage drying there. Heavy field came on a lot more than I thought possible so might get hay but band of rain Friday will decide that. Might have to wrap before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Got some hay baled today (wednesday) cut last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Oh well done, the rest of us never thought of checking the weather.

I still have good quality hay made weeks ago, even had some bright hot days to kill off the grass followed be a cooler breezy few days but they were dry. Rainfall amount can vary significantly from one end of this island to the other, your rain gauge doesn't allow for that. I have my own baler and wrapper, I made hay when I seen an opportunity even if it was tight but had the wrapper on standby just in case, I'd no crystal ball to see this nice period coming, but now I'm busy baling straw and silage so glad I don't have hay on the ground too.

Quality of the hay wouldn't have been any better this week, a heavier matt of poor quality grass that would have been harder to kill. There was rain here Monday and more due tomorrow so probably wouldn't have even saved it without rain either.

How's your own hay coming along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

The grass is equally as important as the weather. Lads waiting for the perfect weather and grass growing since last October or November are at nothing. The hay they’re going to make is dirt no matter what the weather is. The only way to get good hay in august is from meadows that were grazed until well into April or even early May. Anything growing since the back end of last year should be chopped being baled and used for bedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

If we get hay weather I'll be sure to let you know how I got on 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭limo_100

Found the best hay we make is from fields grazed and closed up first half of may made savage feeding nearly all left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Anyone chancing this week?

I held because of that storm but it never arrived.

Looking like showers Thursday but clear before and after

I cut Friday and wrapped up yesterday. Raging now as storm never arrived and fanatic day tod and next few days.
    id say u may chance it at this stage as the year is moving on. Friday and sat look ok also so even if it gets a little wet you will be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Cut 1 acre field Tuesday evening, make square bales here every year - bit of a gamble with weather but will leave it till Friday now and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I knocked a light field yesterday, showers Thursday so will turn it Friday and hope for the best.

Giving serious rain now Monday, hope the contractor isn't going to the electric picnic 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mitchells33

Mondays whether seems to have improved, hopefully you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Austinbrick

20 acres of rushy hay cut Mon ,Tue and Wed.turned once so far with the rickety pz haybob. This field hasnt been cut in 30 yrs! Always summer autumn grazing land.Can't give all the money to the contractor!!! In 1st gear rabbit speed on the landini blizzard. 3/4s of the land smooth . Very enjoyable and relaxing. The rough ground less so. There are a few ridges in the field as the previous owner made one field from 5 or 6 smaller fields back in the 70s or 80s and we haven't altered it since.

Selling the bales at 15 euro each. Cost price really but clears the field.Would lime be a waste to put on it afterwards?. Its a dry field ,just not fed or minded.We are in the lime scheme. I think it would benefit.Awaiting soil samples.

Probably baling Sat.Might make a start tomorrow if it's looking fit.

The warm wind the last few days has been great.

• Advertisement

My son turned a bit as well.He maintains the haybob is only 2 feet wide!!!

The field is in LIG ( low input grazing) with the Acres scheme . It can get minimal fertiliser or cow slurry but not pig slurry. Hoe does one tell the difference ? Is it the lack of flower species the following year or how would they know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

If he's like my son's he doesn't work in feet at all. If I mention any imperial measurements around here I get asked what's that in real measurements?

Same. I tell him 55 mph is a good speed to drive. He says that doesn't mean anything to him (as well as not being able to stay at that speed!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mitchells33

There is talks of high pressure and good weather coming in from next Friday. I know the days are shorter but is there anyone thinking of going for more. I saved some in September last year. I mowed a few acres last night that were for silage, would i be crazy leaving unshook for the week and tedding out if the dry weather comes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭limo_100

I would just bale it in silage seems along time to wait before even starting to turn it as it is given a wet week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Unless it’s fully surplus I would take no risk and make silage if the chance arises asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dew is too heavy and last till mid morning to make hay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

Will be even hard to get silage this week with the forecast but definitely don't leave it on the ground all week if you can

• Advertisement
Advertisement