Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Olympic Games 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Connor O Leary surfing for Japan. Mother Akeimi from Japan Father Finbar from Cronulla neither a surfing strong hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

it’s interesting watching the Olympics now and all the Irish surnames that have moved across planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This pidcock fella is a machine! Still a chance at gold despite puncture.

The women's mountain bike race yesterday was also very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

FFs we're getting a summary of Kennys travel itinerary here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Soccer and Rugby are much better for that. Australia, Canada, USA and NZ all have multiple players through Irish Lineage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A lot of Irish names popping up via Canada and Australia in swimming.

In the swimming there is even a Haughey! Grand niece of CJ Haughey, representing Hong Kong.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

ya everything on demand,

Live very good too, can watch pretty much everything e.g. can choose a specific apparatus in gynamstics.

Nice highlights packages of certain events the next morning too.

The app itself is a bit slow but once you get in the streams are very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

actually plenty a fine wave can be caught off Cronulla beach (one of NSW’s finest IMO)😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,402 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I signed up yesterday.its been fierce handy and I can watch the basketball in peace and not have to listen to Timmy mccarthy act the eijit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭squonk

Timmy is great. I know he’s like a lad that spends way too much time watching NBA matches and has all the lingo but forgets he’s from Cork and not Brooklyn! It’s just very funny though and great for those of us who aren’t regular basketball viewers.

Great to hear Gerry Kelly still doing the gymnastics coverage. The Olympics is great for bringing these guys out of the woodwork. It’s great to hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Nick…lost for words…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ireland's first medal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Well done, Mona! 🙂

Christ leave Joanne Cantwell horsing away on the Sunday Gabe. She guys in well there but doing Olympic coverage she’s a dose to listen to. Back in the day Michael Lyster was a GAA only presenter and far okay to him but I thought he was good at his job full stop and wouldn’t have been to bad in general sport. Time to leave the GAA crowd back doing GAA only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

what’s wrong with Joanne, I think she is doing well.

Nothing wrong with her, wait till the big mares appear later in the week.

Hate the Allianz stinger at the start and end of each ad break. I presumed it’s Rashida Adeleke they’re showing but with their corporate colours and it being so fast it looks like a Team GB or USA athlete. It’s just shown way too much

Thats it. She’s falling all over her words. She’s meant to be a senior sports presenter but a college work placement student wouldn’t do much worse. Awful stuff.

Post edited by squonk on

• Advertisement

Isn’t Claire whatshername already out there along with Joe Stack and a few others. Jacqui is reasonably useful but Des should have been put out to pasture ages ago. He’s fairly useless.

Anyone know who was commentating on RTE Radio One last night?

Sounded like a cartoon drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

anyone else watch the sailing today?

Surprisingly good to watch on tv, with lots of changing places etc.

Irish pair in second too - good chance of getting a medal even if today wasn’t their best.

NICE ONE, DANIEL!!

GOLD!! 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Superb performance, we're proud of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

ah come one now, there’s absolutely **** all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Our two swimmers who won medals won them from training abroad

That’s the standard for most of our medal winners and probably a lot of other countries medal winners as well. In athletics and swimming there isn’t much point us all racing each other. The people on podiums benefit from sports programs at us, uk universities or universities elsewhere. That’s where the competition is.

We can’t be all things to all sports. We can’t train everybody 100% internally. We’re a small country. That we are winning anything is particularly impressive when most young people are hoovered up by the domestic dead end that is the GAA.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The swimming pundits are absolute tools of the highest order. It's like watching loose women or something.

Jaysus, Cahill was on radio this am and straight in to "fellas with signs up" looking for tickets for "de swimming".

Gone into Italia 90 mode very early and will be 'getting emotional' quite soon I would predict.

"tell us how you felt going into…." " what was going through your mind in the last….' " how did it feel standing on the podium"

Time to rest those overworked bad boys lads….cmon

• Advertisement

No need for that “fellas with signs” stuff. You can pick tickets up online or there are resale online. I picked up a ticket for Katie’s boxing final in 2012 after her semi. That was 12 years ago so things are likely even better now. I’d say if you’re Des everything is still like Italia 90 and Whacker standing around with a sign is good for filling up a report. Sports reporters always seem a bit lazy. I really hate the orchestrated crowd cheer after a report about some club or county being in a final. That’s after asking kids who will win and getting the obvious answer. Pure lazy and right out of the Marty/Des playbook.

Feck sake. RTE seem to have been banging on about Daniel Wiffen and Mona McSharry for the last 20-30 minutes. I actually popped out to do a few bits. Meanwhile there’s a sculls going on with a girl from Northern Ireland competing though she’s on Team GB but, all the sane, it’d be something to watch. I have a suspicion that there are broadcaster packages available for combos of specific events and some general highlights. Strikes me that RTE went for the value pack and are filling in the remaining time with ads, replays and talking shîte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Does anyone know where I can find a list of exactly what RTE have shown/are showing throughout the day?

It's easy enough to find a list of the Irish in action, I just want to know what else is dotted across the day.

I'll lose my mind if I try to skip through the shows on the RTE Player and have to watch the same handful of ads (why are there so many ads for things on the RTE Player? I'm already using the player, stop telling me about it) every time I fast forward a bit.

Post edited by Ol' Donie on

No idea but the volume of ads is getting to me at this stage. It’s almost US tv bad this time around. The ad breaks are quite long as well. They’re looking to take in on ad revenue I guess but aren’t caring that they’re cutting off their nose to spite their face as it’ll drive lots of viewers elsewhere. Discovery+ gets you all you can watch fur €7 and there’s always the BBC often showing the sage effects so Pele can switch during the RTE ad breaks and probably won’t come back. I never remember it being as bad as this time round but maybe my memory is short!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,322 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I never remember this volume of ad breaks during their Olympic coverage before, not even as recently as 2021. It seems to be five ad breaks per hour or something. It's making their coverage seem very disjointed and with no natural flow to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Nightwing1862

It's public knowledge. Discovery (Eurosport) have the european broadcasting rights for the olympics. The IOC mandated that 200hrs be made available free to air which is all RTE are going to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

How many medals do people think Ireland will end up?

More than 6?

That explains I guess why sailing and everting are being largely ignored as they take time to show. I miss that aspect though. Mind you they deal only covers LA abd wherever us after that. I wonder how many hits RTE currently have? Not too keen if must be says on stuff like the Olympics going predominantly to streaming platforms. I suppose tge works is changing though avc the days of RTE showing a smorgasbord of sports ask over the place are gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think possibly but we do tend to get excited when we win one or two early and expect all they have to do is turn up for the rest. Rowing we are almost guaranteed a medal. Harrington has one guaranteed. Three more would be a lot. Maybe Wiffen again, Adeleke possibly and the pommel horse guy. I don't think we will smash that record of 6. It will be 5,6, or 7 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I would say 2 in rowing plus we have a couple of sailing chances, medal race for the Skiff tomorrow and Eve McMahon could go well in Dinghy although maybe an Olympics to soon for her. We need golfers to get off to a good start as well, small field gets strung out. Also the real equestrian to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I'm hoping for 8 but I haven't a clue.

We already have 3.

Then maybe a few more from boxing, rowing, sailing, swimming, sailing, golf, equestrian maybe.

I'm not sure we'll win anything in track.

Adeleke's obviously brilliant but it's a very competitive field.

Anyknd else getting this loading some of the pastbolympic events on discovery+? It’s very annoying and not a good look for them during the Olympics!

The showjumping commentator isn’t that great. The expert with him keels having to correct him on this he’s coming out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The expert says every competitor is an excellent rider lol, as if it needs saying 😄

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Re the boxing gender controversy, I asked Chatgpt to advise on distinguishing between men and women.

Sure, here's a light-hearted, non-biological way to distinguish between a man and a woman:The Shoe Test:Find a shoe store that sells a variety of shoes, particularly those that are on sale.Bring your subject (the person you want to test) into the store.Observe their reaction:If they make a beeline for the sale section, carefully inspecting each pair and trying on several, even asking for opinions on how they look, there's a good chance they are a woman.If they head directly to the section they need, grab the first pair that looks decent, try it on for size, and then head straight to the checkout, they are likely a man.Remember, this is just a humorous stereotype and not a true indicator of gender. People are unique and diverse, and shoe shopping habits can vary widely regardless of gender.

Yeah he’s a bit too reticent to say anything bad about any of the other competitors. At one point the commentator mentioned that Ireland needed to have the likes of ZUK, USA pick up a few more faults while the expert jumped in saying that want very sporting and we should hope they all jump clear round but Ireland jumps better or some such.

what were those two plumbers in the skiff competition thinking.

The one thing you couldn’t do……go early….. and they did it ??
    Why…..didn’t seem that important…..gonzo!

There is plenty more controversy besides gender. Same old boxing organisation by the looks of it. It seems inherently corrupt regardless of who is organising the events.

Good to hear ‘‘Zombie Nation’ during the basketball time-out. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This is so annoying. I'm watching this afternoon's coverage on the RTE player. I'm trying to skip past the horsey business, cos that's not for me. I don't know when it ends though, and everytime I skip a bit forward I have to watch that ad for Planet of the bleedin Apes.

Advertisement