Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The toasty and the chicken/stuffing are their most popular options. I would guess 90% of their stock are those.

I think they do have a vegan wrap and a chicken wrap option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

in 2024 - how can you not have functionality where a customer can order something in advance, it is loaded onto the aircraft and reserved for you. They can also carry general stock to sell on board.

I fully agree. Seems like a very doable system.

EI had pre-order meals before, I think around 8 years ago. They were very popular. As were the upgraded meals on their TA flights.

It seems the outsourced catering contract delivers the most basic level of complexity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The upgraded meals on the transatlantic flights were great.

It's a measure of EI that an advertisement for them appeared on my online boarding pass in June 2023, several years after they were discontinued.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Astral Nav

Correct, IIRC they were abandoned during the reign of a certain COO when the general shortage of staff and everything else meant that a lot of passengers weren't getting their order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Trampas

I asked for the vegan wrap and all gone. Whatever about later in the day I understand but just did one leg

and the first run is probably 630am to 1030, not huge demand for lunch items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Most days the first DUB-ACE flight is at 0750, so I guess a mid-morning snack is probably on the cards for a lot of pax.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭TheBetsy

Is the 321LR going to be running any European routes outside LHR this winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

food sells extremely well on the ace flight in the mornings. People have been up a good while and the flight is quite long so it seems to sell quite a lot of Sambos and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭FionnK86

It doesn't help that in T2 at 0600 the only place open is a slighlty artisan place (cannot remember the name) who don't seem to have their numbering worked out. Waited 20 minutes for a coffee last week and nearly missed boarding because they'd not worked out if people had numbers on their receipts so people were diving in for the coffees of other customers.

They probably only have 2-3 onboard.
    Keep in mind that while you were in row 6, half of the stock is down the back. So you were probably the 10-11 row served of 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Normally when we fly to ACE we try and get seated towards the aft of the plane 2 rows up from toilets, For easy access to toilets and to get served by the CC first as the majority of carts are loaded to the aft.Anytime I've flown with IE to ACE everyone be ordering food. One time the aircraft operating the afternoon flight had all ready done another sector so the bar was fairly empty according to the CC.And that catering just added the duty free cart.

Maybe EI could back cater and have more of the popular products loaded in the hold and have them taking out during the turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Financial results are out and the disruption caused cost €55 million, AL are in the minus due to interest and costs, they are the worst performing now in IAG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Adrian and Lynne will still get their bonuses so alls good😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

There will be a review of the weaker parts of the network and its cost base, the airline said in its statement today.

Not only was the industrial action incredibly damaging, there are underlying market pressures which affected performance, particularly across the Atlantic. With other unions now looking into the pilot deal, increasing costs, a lacklustre product, little investment and tougher competition, I think we can expect things to become difficult for Aer Lingus in the short to medium term.

The questions likely being asked now are; does the airline have to downsize and if so, by how much? Can current staffing levels be maintained, and is there a way to ensure viability in a more sustainable way going forward?

IAG is also under pressure, the Air Europa deal has collapsed while Lufthansa and AF-KL proceed with their successful acquisitions. They’ve seemed disinterested in the Aer Lingus project for quite some time, this looks unlikely to change so I’m not sure how the airline will navigate itself through the next months and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I wonder if we’ll ever see the XLR now, there doesn’t seem to be any investment, no sign of a new wide body investment, same boring service, pushing ground operations to breaking point with taking on BA/IB/VY and now also AA in the autum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

When i left working in the airport back in 2013, There was rumours of EI taking over the handling for EY did that ever materialise? As for them taking on the other IAG airlines has EI taking on additional staff to cover this work? Or is it a case of just get on with it. Probably someone in mgmt doing the Lean 6 sigma crap(Do more with less) I've seen it with other ground handling companies get the contracts in and run them on a Skelton crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

It looks like there will almost certainly be some cuts now as a result of the weakening demand (which the airline will of course conveniently blame on its incredibly greedy workforce of cabin crew, ground staff and pilots). Lynn saying that the review will include "a look at weaker parts of the airline" which I would imagine means the thinner NA routes and some of the new European destinations they've launched. She explicitly called out Cork and Shannon as well so likely to look there again for further cuts in flights etc. Wouldn't be surprised to see them give an ultimatum to Cork-based crews to move to Dublin "or else". A convenient way for them to downsize that base and make up for shortfall of crews in Dublin.

Aer Lingus faces bill of at least €55m over pilots’ industrial action – The Irish Times

I could see possability of ORK-AMS being scaled back or cut altogether, with the competition from KLM on the route. From word of mouth many flights are not every busy especially in winter even with bargain basement prices. Maybe reducing LHR from 4x to 3x could be on the cards. I don't think they will close the base though as sun and holiday flights are generally pretty busy, but I guess anything is possible.

• Advertisement

In fairness the airline has already stated that they’re experiencing tougher competition across the Atlantic which is affecting revenues. Whether we like it or not, increasing staff costs aren’t going to make those battles easier and will be a genuine factor in any potential cuts.

As for Cork and Shannon, Aer Lingus has failed miserably at both airports but in particular Cork. They were the largest airline at Cork for many years but never managed to diversify the network and make it work, many attempts were made (Brussels, Lisbon etc.) but failed. The A320s were too big, the costs too high, the product too mediocre. Post pandemic Ryanair has leap frogged and filled the spaces Aer Lingus left behind while AF-KL go from strength to strength on their routes.

Cork is a small scale example of the much bigger problem at Aer Lingus short haul, its stagnant and too reliant on summer sun, they repeatedly admit when claiming how seasonal the business is. If you believed Aer Lingus management, you’d think we never leave the house from October to March!

This has all been overshadowed by the roaring success of the North Atlantic but now that’s facing pressure we’re going to see just how weak the current strategy really is outside of June, July and August.

A mix of some A220-100 and 300s would probably be a good fit for them from Cork but never going to happen

A regional jet sub-fleet, operated by a wholly owned subsidiary or another franchise partner should have been explored a decade ago in my opinion.

It’s been clear for many years now that a one size fits all approach to short haul wasn’t working, especially as they tried to grow the DUBHUB project. Every other network carrier in Europe has a diversified fleet to support their hubs and smaller bases.

It would have been expensive for sure but the long term consequences have been a shrinking network, a collapse in market share at home bases and a transatlantic network that is nowhere near reaching its potential. The latter is obviously impacted by limited facilities at DUB and now the cap but that’s a convenient excuse now.

it really is a sad picture. If they aren’t filling their planes now then the cap can’t be blamed. Expect a few more route cuts I think and downsizing. I fear they have missed the opportunity to grow on the SH side.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Willie Walsh was the CEO of IAG at the time of the purchase of EI, maybe that was more of a personal pet project of Willie's and now that he is gone IAG don't really know what to do with EI anymore? It also fits in to the timeline when he left IAG roughly aligns with the time EI started to lack direction.

The lack of direction in EI occurred when Stephen Kavanagh became CEO, then Sean Walsh who left after less than a year, to be replaced by the work-from-home Lynn Embleton.

I remember Kavanagh from my time working in EI.

Very good at the financials but never a "big picture/long-term thinker"

Unrelated, but the first XLR for Iberia rolled out of the paint hanger 2 weeks ago:
    This is MSN11504, which was the original planned first for Iberia, but planned 2nd XLR)

https://x.com/Iberia/status/1813893814072885373

• Registered Users Posts: 11 StakeholderValue

EI made its biggest ever profits under Kavanagh and Doyle underpinned by IAG economies of scale.

The place has gone backwards rapidly under Embleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭sailing

Concur with the above. There appears to be a very weak Executive Management team running Aer Lingus at the moment. It remains to be seen how long IAG will put up with it. The danger is they will get bored of Aer Lingus as time goes by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭coupons1987

Was Christoph Mueller the last decent boss there ?

• Advertisement

if IAG get fed up - do you think they are the kind of group to let it stay steady or sell it off?

I think Ryanair could buy it if it was ever for sale!! Third times a charm!

Advertisement