Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options
1512513514515516518»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

signed, but some uphill stuggle there - 1 million signatures required..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a valid and noble exercise, but 1 million signatures feels like an incredibly high bar (probably by design to ensure credibility), but also I gotta quibble on the details here.

This initiative calls to require publishers that sell or license videogames to consumers in the European Union (or related features and assets sold for videogames they operate) to leave said videogames in a functional (playable) state.

Specifically, the initiative seeks to prevent the remote disabling of videogames by the publishers, before providing reasonable means to continue functioning of said videogames without the involvement from the side of the publisher.

The initiative does not seek to acquire ownership of said videogames, associated intellectual rights or monetization rights, neither does it expect the publisher to provide resources for the said videogame once they discontinue it while leaving it in a reasonably functional (playable) state.

Emphasis mine: what is a "functional (playable) state" mean here 'cos with the best will in the world & as much as it really sucks when your favourite game's servers are killed off - data centres cost resources. A LOT of money and manpower to keep running and even if committing to some kind of code update to support dedicated 3rd party servers, again that's gonna cost money.

I 100% support the theory, just think it'd die on the vine through quibbling and discussions on the implementation and requirements of the companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

In theory its a great idea which I support but there could be unintended consequences for such a law as it could have a chilling effect on the industry where companies will not develop as many games (with an online aspect) unless the game is a lock for long term success.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc at

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most of these games that have been preserved by community have been due to self funded private servers. I'd be pretty happy if the devs just gave people the ability and code to run private servers when the game is abandoned.

The EU was also supposed to look into loot boxes and gambling in games with a report in June but it got delayed, hopefully because they saw how widespread and scummy it is. There was a lootbox petition in the UK that reached the required amount of signatures but that got a cursory response thanks to the slimy Tories being in power.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The re-release of Tomba (aka Tombi to us Europeans) is out today - finally liberated from the PS1 disc and old PSN release. Will be picking this one up on Steam to have a more permanent way to play it. The sequel - which I've never played - is also coming out at some unspecified point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's only a relatively recent phenomenon that most games have relied so heavily on 'official' servers. Lots of classic games retain vibrant and active communities thanks to private servers and local hosting.

Now, don't get me wrong - there are also plenty of games these days that are more complex than a simple team deathmatch, whether down to persistent online worlds or complex progression systems. Those are no doubt more difficult to run privately. But some regulation requiring the publisher to at least support some kind of community support (even if some features are necessarily pared back) would be very worthwhile, even with the inevitable complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Cordell

Open sourcing the code is problematic without significant effort to ensure no legal liabilities will result - things like infringing patents and license violations could be very common in code that was never developed as open source.

Advertisement