Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish to Royalty - The Sega Drive

• 30-07-2024 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭

I bought this Sega Mega Drive on Adverts a good few months back for little or nothing. It was sold as faulty, not powering on…so I said there's usually very little to prevent a Sega Megadrive from powering on, and as such, might be worth a look. What I wasn't expecting though, was this Megadrive was missing its Mega….it's in a very, very sorry state. Lets see if we can give this Sega Drive its Mega back!

^^ On first glance it's not that bad. Obviously the plastic is very dry and in need of some 303 but nothing out of the ordinary….

^^ Until you look closer, it's absolutely filthy dirty. Caked in dirt and grime.

^^ A cart slot pin looks heavily corroded, with some others slightly discoloured…

^^ And both controller ports are beyond repair, pins missing, bent, pushed back and broken.

^^ When I first opened it, both legs of the power led were actually twisted together for some bizarre reason. That'd obviously prevent the LED from turning on, so maybe it was powering up all along but appeared not to be? Anyway, I straighten them out in order to be able to remove the top shell.

^^ The infestation of filth continues under the shell sadly. I don't know how so much dirt can penetrate this far inside of a closed shell so badly.

^^ Yikes. The dirt alone likely isn't a real problem here in terms of preventing anything working (cart slot aside), but there's no way I can work on this in this state. It''ll need a deep clean.

^^ Not much a beauty shot, unless you're into human hair, skin cells, and god only knows what else…

^^ Surprisingly, with the top RF shield removed, it's a little better under there. Dusty, but not particularly dirty per se.

^^ Before I work on it though, I just want to see if it actually does power up and the issue was the LED legs twisted together…

^^ Noice, that's all it was as suspected. I knew that very little little stop these tanks from working. Forgive the awful composite image, it's the only cable I have here at the moment, but from here I can get started on a deep clean and sorting some of these issues out. Amazing it works with the cart slot pin completely caked like that!

^^ Fully removed from the shell, and ready for cleaning.

^^ I had bought a few bits in preparation for this job. New controller ports, a new DC jack, and a new cart connector. Obviously the controller ports are beyond repair so I'll need to swap them out, but ideally I'd love to keep the original cart slot (as the replacements are likely of a lesser quality these days), and the barrel jack isn't required as we've seen the unit is happily powering up.

^^ I reflow all the cart slot pins to begin with, hopefully it's salvageable.

^^ A pic I had to grab later on as I'd forgotten at the time, but the cart slot pin corrosion cleaned off fairly well. There's a small bit that's caked on, but there's more than enough of the pin exposed now to make a proper contact.

^^ One controller port desoldered and ready to fall out…

^^ And fallen out…

^^ The new Ali ones are as you'd expect, not an exact match at all. They lack the retaining tab that'll prevent the port being pushed in too far also. Hopefully they work well enough to at least play/use the console.

^^ Replacement soldered in. We need nice solid joints here, as the port is only strengthened by its solder connections here given there's no locking tab on these new ones.

^^ A quick test fit shows it fits in anyway. It sits slightly back compared to an original, but it should suffice.

^^ Both done.

^^ Time for a warm bath I think…

^^ While the shell is soaking in water, I decide to treat the voltage regulators to some nice fresh new thermal paste. They're 7805's so they do run hot, but with some fresh paste they should be a little happier anyway.

^^ Reassembly begins. Both RF shields were showing notable corrosion, so they got a clean down and then spray painted to prevent any further spread of corrosion. You can see the silver colour of the lower shield here in places…

^^ Top shield got the same treatment, and is back in place here.

^^ Ok it's looking a little better here. I'll need to buy some 303 Protectant to really lift the plastic, but at least it's very clean now.

^^ Controller ports ready for action.

^^ Ok it still works! Always nice to see…you never know what you've forgotten to reconnect etc.

^^ Time to test the controller…they feel a little loose in the controller port it must be said, definitely not a factory feel….but hey, they'll do until I can secure some better quality ones and these should at least work!

^^ I can select and play games perfectly! Looks like a good result here.

^^ Yep, the game is still great - Sorry @CiDeRmAn!

^^ Well there you have it, back working, playing games, and very very clean! Its got its Mega back!

^^ I've a few plans for this machine down the road, here's a hint as to what to expect in its next thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Aw, there's my childhood! Possibly the first games I ever owned, those, but in the 6-in-1 version with Columns, World Cup Italia 90, and Super Hang-On. Fair play for getting that machine so clean again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That is absolutely hilarious with the power LED. 😁

You going to build a tower of power? Those 3 in 1 PSUs are an absolute godsend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've a Mega CD & 32X already sitting in a tower of power, but on a Megadrive I want to keep stock. With this one, I might go the whole hog (triple bypass, switchless region mod, dual frequency oscillator, etc.) I need to see what modifications are required for the Mega CD & 32X though, as I don't want particularly want to mod them. Can the Mega Everdrive Pro allow the Mega CD to boot different region bios etc? What about 60Hz etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Never tried it, as my Mega CD is packed up and away (not to mention having seen better days), but from what i remember reading online, the Everdrive will act as the ram cart for an external CD attachment, as well as allowing you to swap the internal CD bios to a bios file loaded from SD card. You lose the ability to boot CD games from the Pro though with the unit attached.

So you can, if the above is to be believed, just can just boot the region bios you need for whatever game and off it goes. Unsure about the 60Hz side though, though I'd imagine theres no issue with a basic modded console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Nice, looks great - interested to see the future plans :)

There is a suggestion that C64 joystick ports fit the Mega Drive / Genesis. Found a set on eBay which look like they might work with the screw mounting holes.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

My Mega CD to my knowledge is completely unmodified and yep, I can boot any region bios just by loading it via the Everdrive. My Everdrive is ancient too, a v1.0 so it will definitely work with your Pro version.

You stuck a switch on the back of my 32X Many many moons ago alright that needs to be hit when playing PAL or NTSC games. I wonder is there a switchless version you could install on your unit?

There is indeed a switch free internal ribbon mod for the 32X which I'd be fine fitting. The Mega-CD though, I can't remember if there's a software way to switch 50/60Hz or not. I'll look into it at some stage no doubt!

I'm talking crap, the Mega CD doesn't have a 50/60Hz consideration, it simply matches the region to the region of the Megadrive. So a region controllable megadrive will set the Mega CD to the appropriate region if it has one of those 3 in 1 multi bios chips installed.

You can also just grab a region free bios for the Mega CD, but you're stuck with a particular boot animation then for all games which bothers my ocd a little 🙄

So yeah, I'm forming plans....

Master of the Universe

Just tested that out as a matter of interest.

50/60hz modded PAL Megadrive II with manual switches, stock PAL Mega CD 2. US Mega CD game.

All of the region bios files for the Mega CD on my flash cart seem to be region free. (so they don't care if the Megadrive is set to 50/60hz)

I tried booting the Megadrive in 50hz PAL and then loaded an NTSC Jap and an NTSC US bios. All bios files boot fine without issue and run in 50hz.

Only the US one will play the US Mega CD game though.

So yep, you don't really need to modify your Mega CD at all. Just use the region free Mega CD bios file from the Everdrive for the region you want. Simple as that.

Cheers for testing that out man, appreciate it. @McDermotX do you mean with the Everdrive Pro plugged in, and a Mega CD also attached, you can't boot CD images from the Pro is it?

• Advertisement

That's my understanding alright boss, or at least it's very temperamental. Never had the opportunity to try it out myself, but, and I'd imagine this also applies to the MegaSD cartridge , the CD core of the cartridge conflicts with the Mega-CD addon registers. So while the cart operates fine as a RAM cart and runs roms as normal, it needs the CD unit disconnected (not just turned off) to allow CD images to run correctly. Should be handy enough to get around with a Model 1 anyway.

Seems to be a universal issue with these kind of solutions - even the likes of the Turbo Everdrive Pro cannot run CD images on PC Engine Duo systems (even the Analogue Duo needs it's CD core disabled to allow the Everdrive to run - graphical corruption and lockups abound otherwise)

Edit - just looking at some of the limitations section of the Everdrive Pro manual - looks like you may need to disable a built-in warning to try it out. Have no idea if any of this was ever addressed with firmware updates, but talk of register conflicts suggests it's an unavoidable limitation.

Half tempted to try it out myself if I could get the unit out of storage 😣

https://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-everdrive/pro-series/mega-ed-pro-manual.pdf

• Built-In CD core registers conflict with external Mega-CD addon registers. Due this
      reason CD games executed from the cart may not work properly if external Mega-CD is
      installed. It is not recommended to leave external CD unit unpowered in attempt to
      solve this problem, this only will make things worse and may cause glitches even in
      regular Genesis or SMS games. Internal CD core can be executed in pair with external
      CD unit only if “warnings” option is turned off.
    • Some SMS games may refuse to work if external Mega-CD is installed.
    • Built-In CD core can not be used in pair with 32X because 32X locks part of address
      space required for Mega-CD

Master of the Universe

That's fascinating, I didn't know that at all. Making me think twice now about picking up a Mega Everdrive Pro as that would be an absolute pain with my Mega CD II.

Cheers man, definitely a hmm moment in terms of what to do. I'd have loved to have been able to leave the Tower of Power all connected, and choose myself how to play the games. Seems this way requires burning discs, or else disconnecting the Mega CD and letting the Everdrive Pro handle CD duty. Not ideal really, but what can ya do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Yvonne007

I genuinely wish I had your skills. I'm having issues trying to find a shop to fix a USB-C charging point on my laptop. You should really set up a side hustle :)

Aye....first world problems alright lads !

Imagine way back when, if someone had told us we could have an entire cart and CD collection on a single cartridge, and not even need the CD addon ! All available from a single screen without having to have any fancy doodads hooked up.

Witchcraft !!! You'd have burned that person at the stake.

I guess there's just some inherent limitations trying to marry old hardware with new technology. Disconnecting a MegaCD II would be an almighty pain in the arse each time you want to use the Pro for CDs, likewise messing about with a full tower. TBH, I'm not even sure what the implications are throwing a 32X into the mix (already needs a workaround with a Mega SG), so I've not bothered with one. Happy enough to let a MiSTer or emulation handle those titles.

Advertisement