Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2024

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Made 4 acres of hay there now. Rained on the last dozen or so bales.

How much is charged by contractor to any man who got rounds of hay baled??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

all baled up this evening after. Was in great shape. One meadow still to do . Couldn’t get to it done week but will wrap it be next week or the next dry spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

don’t know he doesn’t do up the bill until everything is done for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I made a few wynds there this evening for the craic, there was a bit of help around and we'd a grand few hours of sweatin' and banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Aravo

I keep an eye on the weather and measure rainfall. When people think of hay the top thing that would come up is weather. No weather no hay. Sure you need a field fit, but weather still trumps that. There is a reason why a lot of turf is still in the bog. Back to the weather again, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

Cut 7acs Tuesday AM , 1 heavy, 1 light field. Light field could be ready tomorrow, savage drying there. Heavy field came on a lot more than I thought possible so might get hay but band of rain Friday will decide that. Might have to wrap before that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭minerleague

Got some hay baled today (wednesday) cut last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Oh well done, the rest of us never thought of checking the weather.

I still have good quality hay made weeks ago, even had some bright hot days to kill off the grass followed be a cooler breezy few days but they were dry. Rainfall amount can vary significantly from one end of this island to the other, your rain gauge doesn't allow for that. I have my own baler and wrapper, I made hay when I seen an opportunity even if it was tight but had the wrapper on standby just in case, I'd no crystal ball to see this nice period coming, but now I'm busy baling straw and silage so glad I don't have hay on the ground too.

Quality of the hay wouldn't have been any better this week, a heavier matt of poor quality grass that would have been harder to kill. There was rain here Monday and more due tomorrow so probably wouldn't have even saved it without rain either.

How's your own hay coming along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭DBK1

The grass is equally as important as the weather. Lads waiting for the perfect weather and grass growing since last October or November are at nothing. The hay they’re going to make is dirt no matter what the weather is. The only way to get good hay in august is from meadows that were grazed until well into April or even early May. Anything growing since the back end of last year should be chopped being baled and used for bedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Aravo

If we get hay weather I'll be sure to let you know how I got on 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭limo_100

Found the best hay we make is from fields grazed and closed up first half of may made savage feeding nearly all left

Advertisement