Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would properties with a ground floor have a sewage backflow risk?

• 01-08-2024 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm exploring the market to get an a bigger accomidation for my growning family. I came across a house for rent in Dublin 8 and it's ok, but was wondering about the kind of issues I may face with having a ground floor such as sewage, pests, etc. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you!

Regards,

Fady

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You could have a sewage problem in an apartment too, it's not necessarily unique to properties on the ground floor.

Can't say it's something I've ever even given any consideration to in any of the houses I've lived in (nor something I've ever had a problem with)

One thing I was always a bit concerned about was flooding, so I made sure to buy on a bit of a hill so worst case scenario there's no water pooling anywhere near my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 topal

Happened in an apartment block I previously rented in. All the whole ground floor apartments flooded when there was an issue with the sewer connection. Happened around the same time that the bank took control of the apartment block which was an interesting coincidence..

Answers

Master of the Universe

What kind of accommodation do you currently live in? Is it an apartment above ground floor?

Any house is going to have a ground floor so they will all come with ground floor issues.

Most of them are nothing to worry about really. The main one for me going from a top floor apartment to a house was far easier access for break ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fady

I do live currently in an apartment that is on a higher floor, that is why I have no experience about such properties. The most nightmarish situation I'm worried of is that sewage backflowing during a flood or blockage. So was wondering if sewage systems in Dublin have some backflow prevention mechanism installed, or is it a common occurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nobody I have ever met or spoken to ever mentioned this as something to think about when buying a house.

Yeah, I'm quite concerned about such "coincidences"

Master of the Universe

Any property you ever buy or rent can have issues. It's why building and contents insurance exist.

• Advertisement

Speaking of insurance, I did some shopping around, and they wouldn't insure your property if it's designated as flood risk..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Almost all properties have a ground floor and all have a sewage backflow risk. All properties have a leak risk from their roofs, water, heating and drainage systems.

There are three main sources of flooding - rain events (pluvial), riverine (fluvial) flooding and coastal flooding.

Rain events can happen anywhere, but associated floods tend to happen on flat ground and/or in flow-lying areas, where there is too many paved areas and nowhere for the water to go. Localised flooding can happen in Dublin, due to blocked drains and / or exceptionally heavy / prolonged rain. Otherwise, are you potentially at the same level as a river or the sea (noting that levels vary)? Flooding can happen along the Liffey, Tolka and Dodder and along their tributaries. Some places like Clontarf and Sandymount can suffer coastal flooding. Have a look at https://www.floodinfo.ie/map/floodmaps/

Sewage problems tend to be very localised, e.g. people flushing sanitary wipes, etc. and blocking the sewer or sewers being damaged / undermined by construction work. Terraced housing can often have shared sewers at the back of the houses. Occasionally, after a storm, the sewer system can be overwhelmed with rain water and untreated sewage ends up in the sea.

The main pests in Ireland are rats, mice, pigeons, seagulls and some insects - all of these can be avoided if they are deprived of food sources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not quite. They won't give you flood insurance if it's designated as high risk of flooding. They will still give you other types of insurances - fire, leak, public liability, etc. About 20 years ago, properties in Ringsend flooded for the first time in decades and insurers said they were happy to continue insuring for flood risk (albeit with a likely higher premium). Some properties off the North Strand are at risk of flooding almost every year, so their insurance is going to be more problematic.

What is considered high according to the flood maps? And how roughly higher was the new premium percentage wise?

Advertisement