Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Last Supper" depiction at Olympics Opening Ceremony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You bring up an interesting point. If it was muslims claiming offence there's 0% chance you'd be here writing reams about how they are ill informed about their own religion and shouldn't be offended

And as for diversity of france nowadays WTF. There was like 5 drag queens in the lineup, that's modern france is it? You're right 1 in 25 are muslim and yet they weren't reflected in this modern depiction of france, that's crazy. Wonder why they didn't involve them. And you're the one saying I'm reaching? Lord above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If you can tell a man is gay just by looking at him, then it’s you is doing the stereotyping, nobody else.

That guy with the beard in the first photo though, I still say he’s the spit of Jesus:

EDIT: for clarity, just in case anyone misses the joke - that’s not Jesus either, it’s Sam Ryder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

If Muslims were claiming offence in your hypothetical strawman scenario the secular French and most posters here would rightly laugh and then tell the lot to bugger back to any number of Islamic theocratic hellholes that would have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

This is worth reposting…

https://deadline.com/2024/07/olympics-opening-ceremony-artistic-director-intention-mock-or-shock-1236024601/

Thomas Jolly, the artistic director of the Paris Olympic opening ceremony, claimed that the controversial tableau at the ceremony depicted a pagan festival and not Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper.

Jolly told French outlet BFMTV said that the scene was inspired by Dionysus, the Greek god of wine, rather than Jesus.

"Dionysus is the first to arrive at the table. Why Dionysus? Because Dionysus is the god of celebrations and wine in Greek mythology and the father of Sequana, the goddess of the Seine River. Here, the idea is a grand pagan festival connected with the gods of Olympus," Jolly said.

Dionysus was the blue guy.

Sequana was the figure on the horse.

The artistic director has explained his inspiration for the segment, but it seems some would prefer to stay outraged rather than accept his explanation and that they interpreted it incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How is this thread still going and why are people talking about racism and body size? 🙈

If it was muslims claiming offence there's 0% chance you'd be here writing reams about how they are ill informed about their own religion and shouldn't be offended.

I would if they insisted on claiming that anything was intended to be offensive to their religion in the same manner as people here are claiming it was offensive for all sorts of reasons. I’m equally as comfortable pointing out bullshìt regardless of the ideological motivation behind it.

For example I know volchista’s argument against drag is rooted in Feminist ideology - women’s liberation from Patriarchal oppression, all that good stuff, rooted in Leftist politics. That’s why even though I understand it, I don’t care for the argument because I’m neither Left leaning politically, nor am I a Feminist - volchista has a point, it’s just not one I’d be interested in or willing to entertain.

Agree that not every gay man is sterotypical.

My best friend since my school days is a gay man, and you would have no indication he was gay, until he introduced you to his husband.

Was there a thread here about that back then, I want to see how many were laughing at this lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

Aye, in my school days there were plenty of lads who were gay (all boys school, CBS), that when one of my mates was telling me all about her new boyfriend and how he was a great kisser, without thinking I replied enthusiastically “I know!” She looked at me like “what do YOU mean?”

My brain was just like “Find your own way back out of that one!” 😂

Could you explain why please?

It's a genuine question. I cannot see why, if white people dressing as black people using exaggerated physical characteristics like big lips etc, is deemed so obviously offensive that it can be career-ending, a woman who states that it equally offensive for men to dress as woman using exaggerated physical characteristics is positively ridiculed.

If you can explain to me why, as a woman, I am not even entitled to feel offended at the grossly stereotypical portrayal of women in drag acts, I'm all ears.

And TBC, I'm not saying all women need to think the same (Lenny Henry, as I said, had no objection to blackface back in the day). I'm asking why my opinion is deemed somehow just wrong.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Overall and with the benefit of hindsight it was a difficult w@nk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nermal

Why is it worth reposting an obvious lie?

It's not remotely creditable that someone of his background could create the setting in the first picture of this thread and not be making a deliberate reference to the Last Supper.

Not to mention that promotional materials circulated in advance, the producers themselves, and the main performer all explicitly named the painting.

They reference the painting, not Christianity - a small but fairly important distinction between the two. A recreation of the Last Supper is not mocking Christianity, not even remotely coming close to it.

When was the last time you actually saw anyone use black face? If someone gets too dark a spray tan these days, they're accused of cultural appropriation, let alone black face.

Raising black face in this thread is just total whataboutery. As is men portraying women back in Shakesperian times. We've moved far beyond the days of black face.

You're entitled to feel however you want (no one said any different) and if you're a woman who is offended by drag queens, I'm not going to go to any effort to make you change your mind. It is what it is.

Drag artists are meant to be exaggerated and over the top. They are entertainers. Most people get that without needing to have it explained to them.

And I think anyone (male or female) that is offended by them is being over-sensitive. And I'm equally entitled to feel that way.

Recreating the most iconic image of Christian art with people behaving utterly at odds with Christian values is deliberate mockery.

You asserted as fact that drag was not a mockery of women because it was performance art. That is why a comparison with blackface is relevant. It's also performance art. So, it's not whataboutery - because there is a clear link between the two, and one you made yourself.

Drag artists are not mocking women, it is performance art!

The fact that blackface is NOW deemed inappropriate is really not the point here. A few decades back, anyone complaining about the Black and White Minstrel Show as being a mockery of black people would have been met with the same incomprehension. That doesn't make them right - it's just a question of awareness and social norms.

And yes you're entitled to feel that objecting to drag is being oversensitive - but if your best explanation is "because it's performance art" while not being able to explain why that doesn't also apply to blackface, then there's a glaring inconsistency there that, IMO, comes down to the fact that so many people - men and women - still believe that women's opinions are basically less important than men's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Its a painting of a bible story. It's not sacred Christian anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

IIts not a Christian anything at all then. It's a painting by a renaissance artist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what was at odds with christian values? dressing up in drag? i really doubt big JC would have a problem with any of that, he was a notoriously live and let live chill kind of bloke

Honestly, if you want to believe the creative director is lying, go right ahead.

But somehow, the inclusion of Dionysus and Sequana doesn't fit in with a depiction of the Last Supper.

It does, however, fit in with the Artistic Director's explanation of a Greek feast.

Greece being the birthplace of the Olympic Games, and this being an opening ceremony, for the Olympic Games, and all.

Well, I guess you as a woman, can continue to be outraged, and I, as a woman, will continue to think there is nothing to be outraged about.

It is what it is.

It's not sacred or the object of worship.

But it's a painting by a Christian, of a story central to Christianity, inside a monastery. It's the most iconic piece of Christian art that I can think of. It is emblematic of Christianity in the culture at large.

Falling over your keyboard to claim 'it's not a Christian anything' makes you look totally ridiculous.

Look back at the picture in the first post. He depicted the Last Supper, and then depicted the Greek feast. It's not a binary choice.

He also was able to turn water into wine and was a childless and catless person

I’m not even sure where to begin. It’s not at all the most iconic image of Christian art. European art perhaps, up there with many, many, maaaany examples of art from the Renaissance period. Numerous attempts throughout history have been made to restore the original, but little of it remains intact today.

People behaving at odds with Christian values? I’m not at all sure what you mean by that, because you’ve not established what you characterise as Christian values, let alone the behaviour you claim is at odds with them. You’ve not managed to achieve anything different from people who claim issuing death threats and rape threats are associated with Christian values, but that’s them making the association between the two, because they too are most assuredly not representative of Christian values. A community gathered round in celebration is certainly not peculiar to Christianity either, much as some Christians like to claim ownership of the concept.

That is the height of pedanticism.It was created for worshippers of the religion, and holds high importance to them. Calling it anything but a highly important piece of religious symbolism within christianity is quite ridiculous. You could make the same case for the station of the crosses seeing as they are relatively subjective artistic impressions that vary within every church, it doesn't take away from their importance though. And you could make the same ridiculous argument for numerous objects artefacts and artwork which were gradually incorporated into religious cultures around the world.

• Advertisement

I've got it. 💡

Dionysus and Sequana must have gate-crashed the Last Supper.

That explains everything.

Advertisement