Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,569 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

True enough. On the other hand Mclaren will see the goal to get ahead and hope Mercedes can get between them and Max so they take points off him. It's a long shot, but it's the best outcome they have to work towards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭quokula

I've been saying this for ages. It's not like Perez has suddenly forgotten how to drive and he's always been a great driver at multiple different teams. Just to put it in laptime context, the previous two drivers in that seat were 0.592s and 0.625s slower than Verstappen on average in qualifying. Perez has been 0.520s slower on average (as of stats collated on July 3rd so not counting the last couple of races) and I'd argue Max himself has gotten better with each passing year as he is 26 years old now and at his peak, making Checo's job all the more difficult compared to the guys he replaced.

So on average Perez has been better than other drivers they've put in that seat and you have to go back to when Verstappen was still a teenager learning the ropes to find the last time a driver was closer. What's different between now and previous seasons is that the field is closer than ever and half a second can mean a dozen grid spots whereas in the past the second driver at a top team, someone like Bottas for example, could be half a second off and still be 2nd on the grid.

Meanwhile it's obvious that the development time handicap Red Bull are facing has massively hindered their development. They've been well off the pace of McLaren for all but the first few races of the season, they've been behind Mercedes since Merc's upgrade package at Canada, and their pace relative to Ferrari has ebbed and flowed with different tracks (though Ferrari themselves have been on the back foot for the last while) and really it's Max that's been carrying the team. Perez is generally better in the race than in qualifying and is usually there or there abouts fighting for 6th or 7th come the chequered flag which is about as good as the Red Bull is right now.

I don't think there is any other driver available who they could drop in and would do much better, while they could potentially do worse, they would certainly bring less money, and they could possibly upset the relationships in the team. They've made it clear a few times that they see Norris as a target but he instead chose to tie his future to McLaren which seemed crazy at the time but now looks like it was the right choice. They didn't go for Sainz for whatever reason and outside of that there is maybe Leclerc or Piastri, Alonso is too old now, I just don't see anyone else on the grid who you could say would be a certain improvement. And all of those drivers mentioned have existing contracts in place. It would be a very big gamble to drop in someone unproven like Lawson or someone who's proven they no longer have what it takes like Ricciardo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭rock22

The Red Bull car, on mediums, seemed difficult to drive for both Verstappen and Perez. No doubt the team have a lot more data to analyse how Perez is really doing. he did seem better on the hard tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I wonder where Hamilton would have finished this year had Merc sorted itself out at the season?

As good a driver as he is I cant see him getting that elusive 8th title with Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If I were forced to put money on who of the current grid would be the first 8 time world champion, then I'd choose Max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

this feels like the start of silly season

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/new-usa-f1-project-revealed-involving-former-alpine-boss-szafnauer/10640481/

Post edited by Joeface on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Danny Ric is probably the safest option but he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire in the sister team. 10 races to go, if they sub someone else in now it'll take them a few races to get up to speed at least so maybe they're thinking what's the point, just stick with Perez until the end of the season and then reassess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There is one thing to note. Back in Imola it was announced that Perez had a new multi year deal. As of yesterday, that's down to the rest of this year.

Presumably there were performance clauses in the contract which he hasn't met.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

SM RUMOURS liberty media told Red Bull not to drop checo due to loss of revenue in Mexico GP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Fu_ck Liberty Media. That's not Red Bulls fault if that were to happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

No idea if there's any truth to that, but what I'd worry about is the quid pro quo.

If Liberty owe Red Bull a favour now, what favour would Red Bull call in?

That's where F1 goes wrong. Making business deals that mess up the sporting part of F1. Deals like Ferrari creaming money off the pot before it's divvied up is an example. Totally unsporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is a pretty good overview of it all.

From bbc report

Vowles has been trying to modernise the team and this has put unexpected strains on them. He said his attempts to update the team's construction processes had led to the car still being overweight.

Vowles, who said he first approached Sainz at the final race of last season, said: "From the beginning I gave him warts-and-all 'here's what's going to happen'.

"We are going to go backwards. Here's why. Here's what we're investing in. Here's what's coming. Here's why I'm excited by this project, and it's your choice if you want to be a part it.

"But I know we will have success in the future and it will cost us in the short term and I am confident that honesty and transparency has paid off.

"It was worse than I expected it to be in that there was more weight on the car, but the aerodynamic performance of the car is in a reasonable place. We just have to shed that weight off it and we can start fighting at the front."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wouldnt be surprised if it's true

Few other murmurs that Max left with Ric on Sunday with both under the impression they were team mates at Zaandvoort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ms

Who's Helicopter is that I wonder. Is it a Red Bull one or do one of them own it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭quokula

It's still entirely unproven though. Every single team has plans to improve and do better in future, it's a very easy thing to say that they're laying the groundwork to do better next season. Alpine have been saying that every year for the last decade.

So far we've seen Williams take two steps back since Vowles joined while promising the steps forward are coming, but those steps forward haven't actually happened yet and there is no guarantee they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It's still entirely unproven though.

Fair enough, that's true.

So far we've seen Williams take two steps back since Vowles joined

I'm not sure why you're persisting with this blatant lie? Your statement is verifiably false.

Wvery new team has a 3-5 year plan to win a world championship. Haas and Alpine recently. Did AM talk about a similar plan.

I imagine it in terms of how they pitch it at board level to get the funds. They have to convince the big knobs of the short-medium term plan for success if they're going to turn on the money taps.

Looking back in history, there probably haven't been a lot of teams who won a championship in 3-5 years. Maybe Mercedes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ross brawn typically won world championships everywhere he went, within that timeframe

Oh yeah. Fair one. Was he a part of the Beneton success?

Ya wasn't too long with benetton until they won 2 titles.

Went with Schumacher to Ferrari and won constructors in 1999 so about 3 years in then won everything.

Went to Honda f1 for 2008. Had them on a good track until honda pulled plug .... won 2009 champ with remains of that honda team.

Team Became mercedes with brawn at head from 2010 to 2013. Team wins championship 2014.

• Advertisement

I'd believe Brawn making the 3-5 year championship pitch then. I wouldn't buy it from anyone else. Probably with exception of Newey. His record is pretty good with Williams, mclaren and Red Bull

Has Newey confirmed where he's going next?

I think with Williams they have lost their one strength which was straight line speed. But they have done that to try to get a better overall package. So they are trying to be more consistent and grow from there, rather than having a car that was decent at a small number of tracks only.

I'd be all for giving them time and seeing where they end up in 2026. They really were starting from a very low base, so give them time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

As far as I know he hasn't but it seems he's been talking to pretty much everyone except Sauber and Haas, and obviously RBR and VisaCashapp whatever they're called.

And from what Vowles has said, the entire process was completely not fit for purpose and needed to be overhauled, so while trying to build f1 cars while changing the entire structure of the organisation, integrating a lot of new personnel etc it's not going to be plain sailing.

The construction processes just added weight to the cars they are working hard to shed, so when your limited by a budget cap that makes it even harder. They have already taken 14kg of excess weight off the car this season. That's a huge amount.

Especially when competing with some of the world's biggest car manufacturers in Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda.

Williams have made huge strides forward. Just appointing Vowles isn't going to turn them around immediately and turning around probably decades of stagnation and decline will take a few years.

Doohan in at Alpine for 2025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

Hmmm. I wonder how far down the list he was. Defiantly behind Sianz. Since Perez didn't get the boot. Seats are filling up quickly.

I've a feeling Red Bull were leaned on somehow. Liberty is a rumour but Carlos Slim too. It doesn't add up.

Red Bull - Max and Checo

merc - George and ???

Ferrari - Lec and Hamilton

Mclaren - Oscar and Lando

Aston - Stroll and Alonso

VCARB - Yuki and ???

Alpine - Gasly and Doohan*

Haas - Bearman and Ocon

Williams - Albon and Sainz

Sauber - Hulk and Bottas*

*Rumoured

Merc seem to be just getting on a par with red Bull and I wonder if Max fancies a new challenge. Toto counting him so publicly has me wondering if there is something going on.

Not seeing any mainstream news outlet reporting this. We've already had one attention seeking sh*t stirrer, I know you're a better contributor Burkie so can you please give us your source.

Many thanks. He's not there yet but he's getting there which is why Sky, BBC and the-race haven't picked up on it. It'll be good to have another new face on the grid next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How about that? @AMKC 😂😂😂

It really was the right decision he took, fair play to Mark Webber in making sure it got sorted.

And shame on Alpine's contract team for not locking him down properly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Some bullet he dodged by rightfully leaving the shambles that is Alpine. Sainz choosing Williams over them says it all.

I remember I thought Piasri at the time was a cheeky fecker with the way it all went down given that he was an alpine reserve and being offered seat at a works team.

Clearly, internally, they could see it was a sh1t show and he clearly made the right choice.

I can see (and/or hope?) that he will be the better McLaren driver as soon as next year maybe. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement

Ya, nothing between them right now. If anything, piastri a cooler customer out front.

Yeah but, they waited until after his contract expired and then announced him as their driver.

Alonso was in the mix too with Webber. They waited until Piastri's contract expired to announce Alonso would't sign with Alipne. So alpine tried to strong arm Piastri to stay rather than negotiate with him before he signed for anyone else.

Alpine were shafted, and they tried to shaft Piastri but he stood up for himself. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭This is it

I thought similar. From the outside he seems like a decent lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Tenner going on him to be champion next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Jonathan Wheatley gone now from Red Bull to Audi. That's another shock departure for them. There must be something very wrong going on behind the scenes there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ah I think it’s more a case that he’d gone as far as he could in that team, like Vowles at Mercedes. Wheatley was hoping for Horner’s job when all that WhatsApp business was going on but that was never going to happen when Horner had the support of the Thai owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

Will the impact be the same as it is now. they are not in a good position so don't get to see them in the races and Unless you sign up to an Onlyfans account you wont get to see them,.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
    Ms

Very good. Fair play to him. I guess I was just annoyed that kast time but ye he is going good at McLaren and Alpine did make a right balls of it so ye can't blame him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement