Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

Describes us both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I have seen no difference, in fact, if anything I think the situation has deteriorated, instead of improved.

It's actually even less possible to navigate now, so I no longer expend any energy concerning myself with staying on this side or that side of rules that mods make up as they go along, and then issue warnings and threadbans for supposedly breaking them. It's exhausting.

Just my two cents worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd, honestly, say it's has to be the particular threads you're reading. People seem to forget that there are hundreds of threads on the go at any one time and they're not all CA or AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I've read threads from many different forums on boards.ie and that's where I'm getting my opinion from. Many posters seem to want to drag others down. That's a sure sign that something is lacking in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I agree if you ignore people and thus certain forums and subjects you avoid most of the negativity and certain personality types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

Having said that, the current Southport thread is the flipside. You couldn't pay me to post on that thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It has been closed like many other threads in CA forum which is a shame, too many threads get closed especially in CA, it is maybe a forum with many posters, opinionated posters with all views which can get heated but also interesting topics covered, current topics hence the forum title current affairs 😄 but not sure if "imho" part is really allowed as also sort of anecdotal

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Baseball72

Something I have asked on several occasions over the past 2 years is for the re-introduction of "how many users are logged in" and how many "Guests" are currently visiting the site - why can't that be done?

It would give a better sense of interaction/activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭flyer_query

Is it not as simple as setting up secondary independent and unconnected accounts with "mod powers" where the sole purpose is to mod?

I stand by my earlier comment that the above wont work as most mods want the mod label on their regular posting account and this label is their reward for dedicating so much of their personal time for free to a private company (albeit providing a public service). You risk losing on the double as you will lose mod volunteers and also possibly the posters themselves as they need to have the mod label.

• Advertisement

Is there any supervision or evaluation of mod decisions made?

I recently reported a flagrant breach of a site wide rule. The mod of the forum was actively posting on the thread, so must have seen it, but didn't act on it until it was reported.

When they did act on it, they put a half-assed warning on thread, but qualified in such a way that they let it be known they agreed with the comments made, but had to put their mod hat on, following a report.

Not the first time I've seen this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,853 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There isn't even the people or the time available for regular mod interventions, having people and time available for assessing those interventions is probably something that won't happen unless there's a new pandemic and the whole country is stuck at home in front of their computers again.

I agree, you're probably right about that.

But it goes to show that mod bias does exist, and some of them do pick and choose when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Unfortunately, that isn't possible either on Vanilla. It was mentioned a lot when the new platform was foisted upon us, I remember saying that it feels like you're shouting into an abyss because it seemed like you were the only one about when you couldn't see that list.

I'm sure it encouraged new posters too when they could see how many other posters were active.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s only, really, the users who, continually, get on the “wrong side” of the mods, and admins, who complain about this, fictional, mod bias.

As has been stated many times, previously, it’s not hard to post within “the rules” and not get sanctioned.

A mod, or admin, can’t warn anyone who is posting normally. Having a terrible opinion isn’t an offence, it’s how it’s “expressed” that seems to be the issue. Posting in anger rarely works out well but some users still persist.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ahh dunno lads, some of the reasons, such as 'off topic posting' being used to ban a poster, when they are literally trying to stick up for themselves, isn't very fair. Ever been the subject of bullying or a pile on?

if someone is the victim of this on a thread, then the 'off topic posting ' needs to be read as part of a wider issue. It's happened to me and I've seen it happen to other posters. Mods looking at one reported post but not the others leading up to it can feel very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s difficult to stick to rules if the enforcer can reinterpret them at their leisure.
    Opinions most certainly get actioned, even if they are expressed properly. Then they get interpreted as “trolling”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Until people acknowledge that most bans are based upon specific breaches of the forum rules - such as advocating illegal behaviour or abusing another poster, these threads are simply bitching by people who are incapable of restraint or self reflection.

I don't know if it's as simple as that.

I've seen a lot of what other people are referring to here. I wouldn't call it biased modding per se, but it is definitely heavily subjective and often seems to be enforced for no other reason than someone has reported a post and then the mod comes in and makes a snap decisions and uses 'the rules' as justification for that when the same 'rules' could be used to ban several posts on the same thread within the last couple pages only no one reported them.

It's a long time since I've seen what I would describe as modding with context. Some of the mods do attempt to do so, but it seems there aren't enough left who actively participate that this could be viewed as such.

And it is a problem. The UK is in the midst of one of the most sensitive societal environments for at least 20 years and it is not being actively discussed on here because the site doesn't possess the capacity to moderate such a discussion appropriately.

And I say that as someone very much on the left of such discussions when it comes to ideological leaning which is the supposed favoured bias as claimed by some, including on this thread. I started the 'Dangers coming from the Right Thread' until I was banned for asking someone to defend their position. See paragraph B here for an explanation of how that came about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And here on the thread we see a textboox example of a problem affecfing the site. Obvious rereg account showing obvious knowledge of forums enough to comment on them here

And feedback is only supposed to be open to accounts with certain number of posts…

You need to have a minimum postcount of 100 and your account must be at least 3 months old before you can post in this forum

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You don't have to purge your old account in order to do this.

You can just step away if you need time to cleanse.

The example of someone coming in to a topic with a minimal post count but clear knowledge of the conversation does come across as someone attempting to hide their previous identity. For whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Someone with very low comment numbers who instantly launches into a contentious thread with comments likely to lead to a ban - is suspect.

Most new commentators join to ask questions about DIY/gardening/etc and draw no suspicion of been rereg trolls at all.

Post edited by Shoog on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement