Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Shop staff probably think I'm being obsessive when I reach to the back for all the chilled & frozen stuff.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Same with me with the milk- always push past the cartons at the front with only a couple of days left on the use by date and hit the ones at the back with a near 1 week date

I've actually brought sweets back for a refund. Think they were the Mentos equivalent. Like chewing on plastic. Told staff member they were awful. They had to check with a manager, I got my euro something back. Fkit, if ppl don't complain, they'll all just keep reducing the quality to recycled sawdust and lino!

It is what it's.

Let's preserve the absurdity…

Anyone fancy chatting to them for a reason behind this? 😄

[EDIT]

And for good measure… today's exchange rate on Revolut:

Without UK VAT @ 20%, £34.99 is £27.99, which converts to €33.12

Without IE VAT @23%, €64.99 is €50.04

(which would be £42.28 for those converting the other way)

So basically Lidl's sending each and every microwave from its supplier to Ireland on its own Ryanair flight.

But wait, THERE'S MORE!! (and at this stage I'm just throwing numbers at a calculator)

£34.99 includes UK VAT…

That equals €41.40 at today's exchange rate…

€41.40 plus Irish VAT would be €50.92

€50.92 plus Irish VAT again

…would be €62.60, a difference of €2.39, enough to take exchange rate fluctuations into account? 😬 🤔

Even if it's not that at all, a 23% logistics cost/markup difference is absurd.

(the £/€ pricing would likely have been set months ago, but even then, I don't think the exchange rates got that bad)

Post edited by oneweb on

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭jj880

Ireland is treasure island for supermarkets as Gusser09 said above. I believe it was a Tesco executive that said it originally years ago.

Was passing through Strabane a week back anyway so got a much nicer looking black microwave for £39 in Asda. Feck Lidl.

For what its worth here's what they just sent me about it. It's a 57% increase in price for us compared to UK. Complete spoofers.

EDIT: @oneweb Just seeing your calculations above. I did a straight 23.59 / 41.40 * 100 based on your revolut conversion to give the 57% increase on UK pricing. I indeed pointed this out to them and just got a reply:

I expect to see the price of the microwave in Irish stores amended to 45 euro by COB today. 🤣

Post edited by jj880 on

It is what it's.

Just beware that stock rotation is a forgotten skill these days, staff often just put fresh stock at the front and push the older stuff behind. I took a back-of-shelf bottle of milk home only to realise it had a Use By of the day before 🤦‍♂️

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

I reach to the back because a lot of the time the use by/best before date is better.

Edit: seen your most recent comment, I look at the front use by date as well. I'll usually pick up a few to see if theres a better date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I absolutely always reach to the back. I was in Tesco on the 25th. Picked up mince at the front of the shelf. Luckily at the till I realised mince was the 23rd. They are well able to have the pickers going around doing home delivery etc but feck all quality control these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Glebee

Always never pick up meat in the fridges near the doors of large stores either, you can be guaranteed that the longer dated items are in the fridges in the middle of the stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

That's why I never do home delivery or store pickup

Theyll take the stuff from the front

That's what I don't understand.

We are in a bad need of a Costco or a big wholesaler where you can actually save money.

• Advertisement

Interesting on the meat at the front door

Makes sense that they'd be putting the slops at the front door where you'd see them

Used to deliver bread 😁 so reaching into the back of shelf is second nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I specify in my click and collect or home delivery orders that short expiry dates will be refused.

And I do check.

Never been a problem after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Is operating a business that much more expensive in Ireland than the UK that they are selling a lot of products at 50%-100% more than in the UK? That's what always baffled me. What's that huge differential covering if their margins are so small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭JVince

SUPPLIERS!!!!

Danone, Unilever etc have different pricing for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭EarWig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What sometimes surprises me about all this shrinking is why manufacturers never thought about it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Are they in any of the other EU leaflets this week? It would be interesting to see the prices there.

Lidl Spain selling Sharp 800W 20 Litre microwave this week for 84.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭JVince

seems anyone who mentions suppliers profits gets accused of being another poster.

Apologies for mentioning what is obvious. I dabble in shares (and post on the investment forum) and thus see the inordinate profits of suppliers such as Coca Cola, Unilever, Proctor & Gamble.

I'll avoid this thread from now on as it seems you have to be a member of a "I hate supermarkets" club.

bye bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There isn't enough competition like the uk, that's not exclusive to supermarkets though. I work in another industry here dealing with a wholesaler who virtually has a monopoly of the industry, I can buy the same or similar products from the UK for considerably less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Lidl Cheese Puffs used to be 85¢ for 150gms. Now they've been repackaged and they're charging €1.29 for 130gms.

Aldi have done likewise, same 130gms will cost you €1.39 though.

I can remember a couple of years ago when they were 59¢ I believe for the 150gm bag.

The neck calling them "Giant", when the bag is smaller, maybe they mean the "new" price is "Giant". It's a 50% increase over the old price for 20% less product. Which is actually more than 50% when you factor in it's a smaller bag now.

Edit: I had another look at these in Aldi. They've gone from €5.67 per kg…

To €10.69 per kg.

That's an 88.5% increase in price per kg. Disgraceful!

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Since inflation picked up, I have notice a trend in Lidl, where an item disappears for a while, the reappears in new packaging and at an increased price. The app is very useful for seeing how prices have risen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

You cant use the word "puff" anymore… its non-PC.

I notice Lidl have the fake Aero chocolate bar for sale at 159c…..a few months back it was 99c.

• Advertisement

I just bought 2 items in my local Super Valu. 1 of them had the price marked on the tag with the barcode, and when I scanned it the price was 33% higher (€2 instead of €1.50). I brought it to their attention to be met with an "ugh" mentality while they resolved it.

It was only 50c but the pure principal of the matter for me was how many other incorrect prices are in their system and is this not false advertising. Does anyone even regulate the supermarkets? I've seem SV regularly mentioned on here as being very loose with their pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Glebee

My SV used to be shocking for price discrepancy, every weekly shop there was always mistakes but you probably would not notice unless you checked the receipt. Special offers not being applied, etc. Strange that it was never under charging but always over charged. Has improved dramatically though over the last 12 months, can't remember last error.

I think it's their business model to play dirty as they can't compete fairly with the big players

If they're caught out it's just an "error"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

It has been going on forever. It was covered in Leaving Cert Business Studies in the 1980s.

As someone else says we badly need a large wholesaler for the end consumer with proper discounts for bulk buying. A target or a costco for example. Hopefully amazon.ie will offer us something next year. Ikea and Jysk in the market for homewares prove it can be done so lets see.

Svalau is going the way of Tesco with their real rewards prices

You'll soon have to use the card when shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭suave.4u

seen this many times in the local SV. Always check your receipt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Supervalu sucks to shop in, but it seems that any time we holiday in Ireland it's the only place in town.

A hidden cost.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Lot of small towns Svalu is the only supermarket

A lot of dodgy pricing with them

Aldi are ceasing their click and collect grocery service from 19th August. Reason given is "to keep costs down".

Maybe it was a loss maker for them, but as a regular user, it was always booked up - if you don't book your slot early you wouldn't get one.

And it wasn't free, like Dunnes or Tesco, there was a charge of €6.49.

I'm actually really pissed off by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi are right. Such services are loss-making. This will help keep prices low. Clearly they are aggressively chasing more market share

Trump explains shrinkflation

“This is Tic Tacs,” he said, holding up a standard-sized box of the mints. “This is inflation,” he said, holding up the smaller box. He called it the “greatest commercial they ever had”.

I used to do 90% of my shopping in Aldi and 10% in Dunnes. Now it will be reversed. Click and Collect is important to me, and a big loss, as I find shopping instore extremely difficult due to mobility issues.

Between not paying Aldi's click and collect charge and Dunnes 10 of 50 voucher offers, with free click and collect, I reckon it will balance out.

But I understand that is not part of Aldi's market strategy, and they don't care about the loss of some customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

A lot of people are not buying meat … its too expensive.

I went to buy a darne salmon - its was 750 cent.

Ive noticed many of our recent arrivals are buying big trays of eggs instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

You can get a whole salmon in Dunnes for €16. They cut it up for you to whatever size you need. I get it cut into 6 pieces, around 200g each which is 2.60 a portion.

Meat accounts for around 40% of my shop price wise. It's **** expensive.

We've started buying large portions of smoked fish from a local processing factory, cutting and freezing. Cheaper than supermarkets and fresh off the boats. Butter and meat have gotten ridiculous.

Overall we've cut down on animal products. Added smoothies for breakfast. I think we were overboard on it before cutting down anyway. Only have a portion of meat or eggs once every few days including meat in takeaways at the weekend. Get some steaks in maybe once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dunnes €9.99 for two good quality sirloin steaks is great value.

Scrap the cap!

How do they lose if they're charging 6.xx

I don't see how it ever fitted their business model though

Aldi stack the shelves and customer is out the door ,no frills

It started during C-19, it made sense then.

Discount supermarket chain Aldi is set to discontinue its c&c, marking the end of a four-year trial that began during the COVID-19 pandemic. "Our focus is on providing customers with high-quality products at the lowest possible prices. One of the ways we keep our prices low is by running the most efficient supermarket business. We've made the decision to bring our c&c to an end so we can focus on doing just that."

• Advertisement
Advertisement