Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't areas like Beaumont and Walkinstown more popular.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Curious to know your definition of a middle class area, and in what regard Beaumont doesn't make the cut. Serious question.

Asking for a friend.(literally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

There's nothing wrong with buying a house that needs work, but that's not an option for everyone. Indeed, there is a lot to be said for being able to move in without the hassle and expense of doing work, even if it's DIY.

Speaking personally, I would have no issue at all with these areas. The only drawback is the proximity to DCU, which means students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Beaumont is no where near being next to phibsboro🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Very few houses in that area of Dublin have ensuites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Both middle class areas. I’d say popular enough with middle income earners.

Well built houses, decent space,not many can afford these without a large mortgage. ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Northside? Castleknock, Portmarnock, tarf

You know places that aren't corpo houses wall to wall

Howth South side is upper class, there are only pockets of these areas

Fairview Raheny also fall into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I know that, I used to live in the area. All I am saying is, if Im going to spend 448k for a 3 bedroom house, I wouldnt want to be sharing a bathroom with 2+ additional people.

Thats why I was questioning the good value assertion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A bit thong in cheek but imagine having to come home from work and light a fire to be warm, cook a dinner on an ancient cooker donated by your parents live with swirly carpets and a green bathroom and spend 4 years living like that doing the house up because that's all you could afford also having a tenent.

The world didn't end

The middle class thing is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Those in middle class Beaumont keep buckets in the wardrobe. Is that not good enough for you?

Anyone how these areas obtain their official designation? I would like to make a submission to have some areas around here upgraded.

Populations change over time. The wealthy townhouses of Georgian Dublin became the squalid tenements. People paying massive prices for apartments down around the IFSC and over on Grand Canal Dock which would have been almost no-go areas for the same people a generation earlier. That said, I think there is also a bit of a bang of snobbery off those trying to convince others that certain rougher areas are now "middle class" …. perhaps because they don't want to be categorised as "lower" or "working" themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Can't speak for Walkinstown, but Beaumont is very popular.

I would class it as "lower middle class" whatever that means. If you call Clontarf "middle class" for example, then Beaumont is not "middle class", but if you call Finglas working class, Beaumont is not "working class".

I've also never heard Phibsboro and Beaumont being described as next to each other (maybe because they are not). They are miles apart in more than one definition of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

All this class discussion reminds me of this sketch.

I think "value" isn't an adjective that can be applied to housing in Ireland anymore :/

I don't see how this relates to ensuite bathrooms…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A bucket in the wardrobe = poor man's ensuite

The other bit was a reference to the implicit class distinction in your statement that

Very few houses in that area of Dublin have ensuites.

Implicit class distinction? What?

The houses in that area don't have ensuites because they're older houses. Ensuites didn't become standard until what, 30 years ago? A house in Blackrock or Stillorgan of the same era wouldn't have an ensuite either, unless it was added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I wish I hadnt mentioned ensuites now.

All I meant was, 448k, 3 bedrooms I would expect not to have to share a bathroom with others. Thats all I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Their locations are convenient, but unless you were visiting a mate there, I don't think either suburb has much craic or scenery to offer, like say Clontarf. That isn't to say the areas are bad because I don't think they are, they're just heavily residential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Walkinstown is getting a fair bit of stick here!
    Greenhills is a lovely settled well to do area.
    You’ll see plenty of extensions done on houses and nice cars in the driveways.
    Very good bus services in the Walkinstown area- the big issue is traffic.
    Unless you are up the long mile road end, you are not near a LUAS, so dependent on a bus.
    The busses in this area have to battle a lot of traffic as there isn’t much QBC infrastructure.
    There are plenty of schools, health centres, doctors etc.

House prices are nuts though.
    The cherry trees a great little pub 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

With others? As in, your wife and kids? Your siblings and parents?

Who else are you letting in to use your jacks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Grey123

Nothing wrong with it but works are expensive and even getting people is a challenge.

If buying mid 20s and you have a few years before kids it’s easier. However trying to do a lot of work with a few young kids in the house is a challenge (and harder to find the money for).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Beaumont is a shameful area. No one wants to admit living there. If the tell someone from Finglas that they live in Beaumont it will spark jealousy and maybe result in a dig. If they tell someone from Clontarf they live in Beaumont the reaction will be one of disdain or pity. If you ever ask a person from Beaumont where they live, they will look sheepish, then look down at their shoes and say they live near Artane or some such. They will never ever admit to living in Beaumont.

I don't know about that, but whatever may be the reputation, it has not stopped rather ordinary houses selling for 500k+. Someone clearly wants to live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Eh what? I've never that before in my life! 😂 I grew up in Artane & still know a lot of people who are in Artane & Beaumont. Never had anyone deny living in Beaumont. I've heard some people say they're from Beaumont & go on to further explain that it's near Artane as more people would know Artane but that's it. And Clontarf people who look down on others for where they live need to cop on. Maybe people from Beaumont who are saying it to people from Clontarf are avoiding the agro from a toolbag commenting on where they live in such a way. Says less about Beaumont - more about Clontarf.

I think Claw hammer might be joking or else it's a tongue common on the petty snobbery of lower middle class areas the penny looking down on the hapnny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Clontarf actually doesn't have much in terms of shops compared to Beaumont. Most of Clontarf isn't actually full of sights to see. It also has quite a few ex-council houses and very small properties. It is a nice area but not that practical without driving. The Dart station is also far away from what most people consider Clontarf

Clontarf has the coast and that trumpts everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most of Clontarf is not by the coast and would be a lengthy walk to the coast from a lot of the area. The coast is nearly as equally accessible to those in Beaumont, Killester and Donnycarney by bicycle and car. You shop more than you look at the sea

Advertisement