Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Theres nothing wrong with my statement. You can't help being wrong.

They boycotted because it was only proposing a single solution. When they had agreed to come to the table thanks to the efforts of he and hoc conciliatory group they were not given any heed. The vote was postponed for this group to have 24 hours to put together it's findings and when they did present them, they were told too late this is the deal.

What about this don't you under stand because it seems to be you have no clue as to what happened beyond the the very problematic final outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They boycottes because it was only proposing a single solution

A two-state solution? Why is that a bad thing? Should a one-state solution have been on the table, in your opinion?

In hindsight do you think the boycott was a terrible miscalculation?

Are you saying that the findings of the UNSCOP were done, dusted and signed off on before any of them visted Palestine?

beyond the the very problematic final outcome

That final outcome being a 2 state solution, a solution more or less supported by everyone, including you?

I dont understand how you can be against a 2 state solution in 1947, but for it now…

I'm going to move the goalposts like you do so very often. In 1917 the population was less than 10%, a little over 5% when this push really began.

Sounds ominous, but it could be noise.

The Israelis should be able to handle it though, and have an ace up their sleave with US backing if needs be.

I never ever said a 2 state solution was a bad thing. Once more take something I haven't said and attribute to me.

The United kingdom absyained saying they could have no part in the UNSCOp solution because it was not going to work. They were right. They should have blocked it and made it go back.

It was half baked and this is fundamental to why here are so many issues today .

• Advertisement

We were talking about 1947, the year the UNSCOP visited Palestine.

That is the dataset that is important.

You also don't answer the question in regards to the one-state solution that the Arab delegation wanted and their clear intent to ethnically cleanse hundreds of thousands of Jews from the land.

An inconvienient truth?

A 2 state solution was the best outcome for all, but the Arabs refused to accept their loss and here we are… 80 years later and they still have not accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Americans are the big Daddy of the allies but let's give the UK some credit..Alot of the high altitude surveillance is done by the RAF out of cyprus including one by Cork Pilot mate of mine. Cyprus is actually central to all this. Aircraft carriers are great but to have that huge base at RAF Akrotiri is a big logistical advantage.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I never ever said a 2 state solution was a bad thing.

The main premise of the UNSCOP and UN Resolution 181(II) was a 2 state solution.

You seem intent on trying to discredit it.

It was half baked and this is fundamental to why here are so many issues today .

What exactly about it was half-baked?

Let's say we agree that the UNSCOP was always going to advocate a 2 state solution/parition, what in your mind should have happened instead?

It seems to me that your main argument is that the plan was not 'perfect' (no plan is), but we have no evidence that the Arab delegation would have accepted partition and a 2 state solution anyhow. We know what the Arabs wanted, (One state majority rule and kicking out all the new Jewish immigrants) and it appears they were dogmatic, uncompromising, and without alternatives. This is an issue even today, Arafat refused a 2 state solution for example.

The more I read about the Arab attitudes of the time, it reminds me of dogmatic Ulster Unionist ala Ian Paisley.

Keep ignoring that they had agreed to enter talks due to the efforts of the ad hoc conciliatory committee

Again, that's not me saying the 2 state solution was a bad idea. This is you being once again deliberately ignorant of what I have said and trying to twist it into something.

And the 2 state solution forced the Palestine populations out of their homees and turned them into refugees at the stroke of a pen.

The world had come out of 6 years of conflict after decades of numerous other conflicts. Nationalism was still dangerous. The world was slowly moving away from colonialism (USSR aside) and a massive refugee crises already existed and they created 1.5 million more overnight.

It was a completely Immoral decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Clap, clap, clap.

The Israelis are indeed backed by the US, UK and many other countries BUT it doesn't make their brutality any less hard to take and never will. Might is not always right. At least decent people have seen the Israeli crimes at first hand and the UN and the ICC have called them out for their crimes against humanity. Murdering 17,000 children and as many again women is something to be ashamed of and not lauded as you seem to be doing. Israel is a basket case.

And before you come back about lobbying for interests. No population for ever have to lobby to not be forced out of their homes.

You keep ignoring my questions in regards to the Arab position, especially when it came to only accepting a one-state solution and their desire to ethnically cleanse Jews from the land.

The only people being cleansed from their lands are Palestinians, brutally and illegally so. And it has been happening for many years.

And the 2 state solution forced the Palestine populations out of their homees and turned them into refugees at the stroke of a pen.

So in essence, a one-state solution was the preferable solution in 1947?

This appears to be your stated position, but today, you advocate a 2 state solution.

It appears you want it every which way.

Again, I've never said either. Keep trying to dig

I didn't ignore anyhing. They agreed to.come to talks. There was a chance of compromise solution that worked better for both parties. Imperfect but better.

Keep ignoring what I've actually said. You can't discuss anything in good faith. Just keep waiting for that gotcha moment

The Ad-hoc committee rejected the subcommittee 2 plan, largely, I presume, because they still advocated a single one-state solution.

The Ad Hoc Committee rejected the subcommittee 2 resolution to constitute a unitary Palestinian state and accepted the proposed partition plan of subcommittee 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_Hoc_Committee_on_the_Palestinian_Question

So, if you are not for a 2-state solution, what in your mind is the solution going forward long term?

I am asking because your argument appears to be conflicted.

You appear to favour the one state solution adopted by the Arabs in 1947, but you also say a 2 state solution wouldn't be bad either…. which is it?

If for example, the Ad-hoc subcommittee accepted the Arab plan, where there was a federal unity state (under Arab majority rule) there would be some sort of utopian peace there at the moment, ignoring the chatter and context that many Arabs wanted to ethnically cleanse Jews from the region….

• Advertisement

For the very last time. I've never said anything resembling that.

You seem to have problem actually reading what has been said. If not then you are, and not for the first time deliberately trying to imply I am saying something which I have not.

I never said that the ad hoc committee were coming to the table with a one state solution. They had got the delegation to agree in part to be part of the still ongoing and not yet finalised UNSCOP deliberations at that point. They were told it's too late, this is the plan. Do you not understand what compromise means. You seem to be having a hard time understanding a lot of what you read so maybe you don't.

You stick with your last minute cramming of Wikipedia and ignore everything that was suggested you read ages ago so you could actually see the big gaping hole in your understanding.

I'm only surprised you haven't tried the antisemitism argument again. So you've learned something at least

And you've **** all ground to stand on demanding your questions to be answered. You've a history of ignoring some yourself and when you don't like answers you have a desperate habit of moving goalposts.

The flawed process of UNSCOP which lead the deeply flawed outcome which has lead to where we are today stand on their own merits without you trying to constantly bait and insist things are being said which are not.

Nope. That wasn't it at all marko. Keep digging through wiki though

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Balagan1

Has Miggeldy lost it entirely with that "Best Wishes" to Iran message?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Funny. Lists out (correctly) multiple states with Human Right violations whilst leaving out a glaring omission, and here. Oh and here. I mean even the Times of Israel is reporting yesterday on humans rights violations. Strange for some lads here to be banging on about Human Rights Issues in one camp only? I mean you raise the issues of genocide being committed and you're a Hamas supporter. All part of the deflection strategy though right?

Post edited by Spudmonkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Christ man at least try to hide the racism. Generic Arabs taking in generic Arabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Germany took in over 10m of her generic refugees after their failed war of aggression.

🙈🙉🙊

At least he hangs around even if he gets things confused. There's another lad on here who posts one-liners and then runs back into the bushes to hide.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/un-report-says-palestinian-detainees-in-israel-subjected-to-torture-mistreatment/

That is one very disturbing article. The regions only Democracy ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Iranians in the main aren't Arabs. Don't let that stop ye though.

Advertisement