Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think Joe has what Eoin McDevitt on Second Captains has - an ability to let the conversation flow and be directed rather than him be a key participant in it. It's a harder skill than you'd imagine…

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sub3wannabe

I judge value and quality on scarcity and availability. They can arguably pay Will O Callaghan a presumably substantially smaller salary to do a seamless job as he generally has demonstrated when filling in for Joe.

He's grand. Nothing special and eminently replaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Exactly. Both top class interviewers and huge respected broadcasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Have they covered the elephant in the room from the Olympics boxing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RINO87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Any show where you still have the likes of Mick McCarthy ass a presenter can't be taken seriously. The guy is dreadful and seems to be on a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

We all know that's a farce. There isn't a media organisation I can think of that doesn't have some political leanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jack747

Hey @sub3wannabe That's really interesting. How do you know this is the case? I seen someone else asked but you haven't responded yet. Havent seen any mention of that from OTB, Kellie or from her camp.

She's done multiple other Irish media outlets and not OTB. OTB and Ger have basically interviewed all high profile and winning athletes at the games. It's pretty clear and with fair justification given Shane Hannons hatchet job on her in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Morgans

Funny how Shane hannon and otb did a hatchet job on her supposedly when kellies friends in the far right have generated fake memes today regarding how she won't fight any males in the boxing ring. Her buddies have stitched her up good and proper and now any interviewer doing their job will need to ask her for a comment. Then the far right trolls can once again pretend it was a hatchet job. Can't blame arseholes for being arseholes I suppose.

• Advertisement

She was emotionally triggered by a post that factually reported a rape of a young girl.

Cornering a working class amateur athlete trying to supplement a modest grant with a bit of work from Spar was and is a disgrace.

He did it as a virtue signal to progress in a ultra liberal organisation and it backfired spectacularly as he was subsequently doxxed himself. Stones and glass houses Shane my man. That's a basic.

Not quite the confirmed BBC/Fergie situation just yet, you are just guessing so. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kellie on OTB again in the future.

Not a fan of either Kellie or Shane but if I was to guess, I'd say both parties are happy to just leave it go at this stage.

Zero chance. I know people in domestic irish boxing. She remains aggrieved and Kenneth Egan also no longer contributes for solidarity.

She had an opportunity to distance herself from an tweet. She made a bags of it and apologised after. It did make her the darling of the far right who assume they have an ally in their cause, rewarding her with a fake meme reinforcing the far right tropes. Best of luck to her. She is being used by scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Stephen Doyle on twitter is concerned for the mental well being of the Algerian boxer. Says all you want to know about OTB

Edit: while Will O Callaghans chief concern with this stiry is the possble mis-quoting of Kellie Harrington. I assume he had a straight face on him as he types that tweet.

As I suspected and with respect, you are a bit of a spoofer.

Kenneth Egan was on Off the Ball this morning.

What's inaccurate about linking mass immigration with an increase in crime? Its been proved in places like France and Sweden. The only reason we can't say for certain it is the same here is that the government refuse to segment this.

Exactly. Shilling for Joes gig no doubt. If you debase yourself into a wolly liberal you'll be in Gers good books.

The shows political leanings are quite clear and a quid pro quo of anyone who works there.

I would think that sort of shite is better places on the site (current affairs).

But, now instead of poor Kellie who unfortunately inadvertently was triggered by a rape, she was in fact accurately articulating a concern that you and other far right trolls are keen to amplify.

It is you and your friends that are using her for you and your friends political ends. Putting words into her mouth, and treating her as an ally. You are lying when you pretend to be concerned about Kellie.

So, stop crying about Shane hannon asking her a question.

• Advertisement

“In fairness to the lads in Off The Ball, that’s their job,” she says now. “That’s what they have to do. They’re journalists. They have to do what they have to do. On that day, I just wasn’t expecting it. I was just shocked. And I reacted quite badly. At the time I didn’t think I reacted badly. I just thought, ‘I’m just not going to answer it.’ But once I looked back at it, I do think I reacted badly.

“I don’t blame him for asking the question. I was annoyed at myself that I didn’t answer it. I was totally shocked that it was coming back up again. I’m not known for politics or for anything other than sport. So I didn’t think that question was going to come back. I know I had put it out there. But I had deleted it. And I thought, ‘Right, that’s gone.’ But it wasn’t. It came back to bite me.”

I believe that Ireland is for everybody. It should be a place to feel safe and to feel welcome. And that’s regardless of your skin colour, your religion, your gender, your sexuality, or anything like that. Ireland is known as being so welcoming. You should be able to feel safe here. And I’m all for that.

“We travel away boxing all the time and that is what comes across to the rest of the world everywhere we go and I want us to have that forever. I’m very, very proud of where I come from. I want our country to be known forever as the country and the people that are very, very welcoming. A country that will help anybody who needs help. That’s what I believe.

The actual story there is a female boxer is being treated horribly online by a certain cohort.

What does him being concerned about her say about OTB?

He has XY chromosomes. He is a biological male. He was banned by other federations and has busted a woman's nose within 45 seconds forcing her to quit and cry.

I think it doesn't take long to find why all that story is hugely suspect - there didn't seem to be any hassle when Kellie beat her 4 years ago. I guess the Russians hadn't decided she was a man then. As someone who lied about consuming content from a range of different media sources, you seem to concentrate on right wing talking points. It was nice of you to pretend. It's old school trolling technique. Shame it doesn't fool anyone anymore.

You can strawman my arguments all you like and ignore facts. There's posts with over 40 million views on X absolutely appalled by this but I guess you know best mate.

Where's the proof of this? Apart from the highly discredited IBA, has anybody else said this? She is a woman. She has been beaten by Irish boxers in the past and nobody batted an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

How dare you question the legitimatcy of his multiple WhatsApp groups of people with different political and social viewpoints engaging in robust discussions on all these matters 😂.

Yeah. Obviously as abraham Lincoln said you can't believe all you read on the internet. You are expecting me to take the bot farms and anti-trans rights trolls as evidence. Faking Kellie Harringtons support for it.

Despite Kellie beating her in the past with zero questions asked, despite transitioning being illegal in Algeria...

Strawman... hilarious....a clichéd Sam Harris fan I'd guess.

" The highly discredited IBA" LOL the cognitive disonence is strong with this one.

Defending a bloke brutally beating up women. Is this the hill you want to die on?

• Advertisement

That made me laugh.

Sure you hardly need to know more than our faked Kellie Harrington quote.

Advertisement