Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

More unexpected rain this morning in Celbridge - just light drizzle, thankfully. Finally starting to brighten up now. I'd love one sunny evening this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭compsys

Well the stats for July are in.

Temps ended up around -0.5º to -1º cooler than average. Cooler generally further West.

In Dublin temps still breached the 20º mark on 13 days (11 in DA, 13 in PP). Not far off the LTA.

It won't go down in the record books as a very cold July. But coming on the back of a June than was also a bit cooler than average, you can see why some people are complaining. Two cooler than average months coming back to back at the height of summer feels like a kick in the teeth a bit…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

lovely morning here hazy sunshine and again warm which is all you can ask for. Loving every minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭esposito

sure does feel like a kick in the teeth.

I doubt August will be cooler than average.

Hopefully all the winter months for 2024/25 will be cooler than average!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

An important note of context to add is both June and July had notable cold first halves that those monthly means won't show. The second halves of both have been much warmer and I think it's rather impressive (and not, as you expect it given the times we live in) that they skewed the monthly means as much as they have, particularly in June's case which was basically average in the east rather than cool or warm. Like look at the mean daily temperature departures for July at the end, it's literally a case of two halves.. first half full of blue down spikes and the second half not much blue but the red was not enough to skew the cool first half to average in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

To add insult to injury I think we all know this winter will the same old story, record breaking pv, high pressure sitting just to our south from November all the way to end of March and those moist long fetch south-westerlies over us for the majority of winter and a 13C Christmas Day. I'm sure we will eventually get a cold winter again at some stage in our lifetime but these are becoming a once in over a decade event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2020 and 2023 recorded the exact same max temp as 2024.

24.1C Phoenix Park 16th July 2020

24.1C Malin Head 7th July 2023

24.1C Moore Park 31st July 2024

2021 and 2022 were exceptional with 30.8C at Mount Dillon on 21st July 2021 (or 31.3C at Castlederg on the same day if considering Northern Ireland) and 33.0C at Phoenix Park on 18th July 2022. They should be considered in their own ball park.

Mind these are only out of the 25 synoptic stations, always the chance a climate station recorded higher like Durrow 31.2C on 22nd July 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

This wasn't too far off the mark. But still a pleasant enough spell though

I don't mind the cooler summer. And I'm happy with the rain levels this summer so far. It's the lack of sunshine is my problem - that's why I'm feeling down about this summer. Also the persistent breezy conditions - at least in my perception.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Cracking day in Dublin very warm and sunny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Billcarson

That makes it 3 out of the first 7 months of the yr coming in below average. Or 4 out of the last 13 months. Funnily enough all starting with the letter J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Verm warm, even warmer than yesterday and Sun still shining. Humid, 23c, N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Trés warm in Meath. Great bright skies all day. More cloud coming across now.. Cutting the grass before the rain.

23⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lovely and warm here in rathfarnham 24c where as mam was saying its 19c back home , unfortunately this is set to change surprise surprise by low pressure, I'm almost writing this summer off but I'm still hoping this month will deliver some kind of warmth be it 5 to 10 days that's all I'm asking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Overcast with stratus pig gloom, air is very moist and clamy, with a gusty wind, impossible to sit outside comfortably with the gustsd blowing into your face, yesterday started off beautiful with sunshine and warmth but clouded over very quickly with high level misery followed by lower level pig gloom and misty drizzle and sporadic bursts of rain, almost like a tease, as if to say this is what you could have, but you cant. Horrendous summer, i cant repeat it often enough, the fact that at no stage it has settled down in 4 months, is just woeful.

Feeling very warm in actual sunshine in Celbridge. Ever present breeze, but not enough to ruin the warmth. Sitting out in short sleeves for possibly only the fourth time since the beginning of May. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭giveitholly

5th day in a row with temps over 20c. It has been a fabulous week and really enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭pad199207

Calm and Warm here in N Kildare with a few massive drops of starting to fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Have to rename them so and we'll be sorted ! Start all with the letter M or S ...like warmer months of May and September , not the shop ;)

Beautiful day yesterday and today in NCD . Clouded over a bit this afternoon late but think it's clearing again now to give us a nice evening again outside .

Very nice to get some real warmth and sunshine at last while not the extremes they are getting on the continent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I think id take the extreme continental heat rather than being traped under a grey damp drizzley gloomy cloudfest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

Another cracking day in Mid Tipp, almost as warm as yesterday. Even now it’s 20.2C, some evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The last 3 months have had less than average rainfall across most stations. Often far less than the average.

For example for May, June, July (Average in brackets)

Mace Head = 51mm (81), 46mm (82), 48mm (84)

Dublin Airport = 36mm (59), 30mm (66), 37mm (56)

That's 58% and 56% of average respectively. I cant remember the last time we had 3 relatively dry months in row. I haven't seen Lough Corrib as low for a long time.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today was easily one of the best days of this summer, probably one of the best 5 days we have had since June 1st, got to 23C but felt warmer and bags of sunshine all day. Another warm day tomorrow but it will become much more cloudy and cooler conditions rolling in from the west as the day goes on. Hopefully can avoid any rain or showers tomorrow.

Next week we are potentially in a battleground scenario with cooler airmass from the Atlantic colliding with some very warm or hot air from the south, knowing our luck we will be on the cooler and cloudy side while England/Wales will see a few very hot days. As ever this summer so much uncertainty in the modeling a few days out. The GFS 12z is an outlier with 2 heat spikes, pretty much on it's own with no support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Oh yeah ...I was comparing with the lovely weather over the last few days which if we got more of , it would be perfect .

It has not been lovely all over unfortunately, but it's the first nice weather we have had in Dublin for a good while .

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Well that's July done and dusted and dare I say it, but I was happy with it in terms of pleasant weather. Location was a huge factor this year in terms of drizzle and temperatures. Poor sligo seems to have faired poorly reading reports here but Galway , I think it's Cluedo country, seems to have faired alot better. My location in North Meath had lots of sunshine, not all clear blue skies but pleasantly warm and dry for outdoor work. The ground is rock hard after a particularly dry 3 months as pointed out and river levels are extremely low. My fear is when will the real monsoons start ,which seems to occur in cycles in recent years . Hopefully it's not August or September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Went out for a run before work and it was tough going. The temperature is only 16C but the humidity and still air is unbelievable, going to be hot and sticky today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Might be a tad wet later..especially in the west

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lashing in Galway City. How did "passing showers" become this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Cloudy and humid, looks to be some Thunderstorm potential for this afernoon, with this band of rain moving eastwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dark (street lights on) and deluge in the whest and strong gusty southerlies. It is warm though

Advertisement