Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who’s bringing the horse - no - EV to France?

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Mine are pretty similar, if they see the sign they go mental. Last week in Wales the closest 150kW charger was an Instavolt in a McDonald's

Needless to say I didn't use that charger once 😏

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is a Chargemap card the only way to pay at a TotalEnergies charger?

Looks like debit card is also an option, but might require scanning a QR code for some chargers. Others might have payment terminals on the charger

https://evcharge.totalenergies.com/en/ev-drivers/how-pay-your-charging-session

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Debit card is definitely an option. Travel companion of ours used his card at one of their charging sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Model 3 RWD. Trip to pick up my son in Germany.

Dublin - Holyhead with a full charge on the Ferry.

Holyhead to Eurotunnel. 2 stops on the way and a top up before boarding the train.

Next day, Calais to Bochum, Germany. 2 stops on the way, including 1 at Eindhoven where I picked up 16 prismatic cells for solar battery. Managed to fit 14 of them into the lower boot area and 2 in the frunk.

Charged to 100% at Bochum next day before heading home. Boot completely stuffed. Frunk stuffed. 3 of us in car. Rear seat stacked to the roof with luggage. No spare spade and I had a planned Seplos battery kit to collect in the UK! Only needed 1 stop at Brugge and charged to 75% when I reached Calais.

From Dover I got to Heathrow SuC and charged to about 60%. From there, I got to Fogstar near Birmingham and picked up my battery case. Strapped it to the roof rack. Charged to 100% at local SuC and drove to a local hotel. Have enough to get to Holyhead from here. Will do a quick topup maybe near Chester just to get out and stretch the legs. Fully charge on the Ferry and zip home with pretty much a full battery. If I had spare time, I'd detour to Wrexham, but need to catch the ferry home and don't want my battery case nicked 😋

Zero stress driving. Zero range anxiety. The car calculated everything with minor interference when I wanted to stop somewhere different, or stay for a longer charge if I was grabbing food. Autopilot was used almost the entire journey 95% minimum. Small stretch of Autobahn where I cruised at 190 😁. Now I have a big battery case strapped to the roof rack and I'm so glad the total height is only 188cm...so OK for the ferry. Also all charging was on Tesla network with credits used from referrals.

Journey not done yet, but would do it again in a heart beat, especially with SuC credits.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Just boarded at Holyhead. Plugged in and chilling in Club with a glass of wine. Epic journey. I even managed to stop off at Wrexham for a quick look. The owner of the Turf was there (for anyone familiar with the documentary). Too early for a drink though.

Battery case was well secure the whole trip from Birmingham. Here she is at the port just before boarding. Early Christmas!

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ha, great trip.

Must have killed you though in having extra unusable battery capacity, and contributing to worse economy on the EV. 😁 What questions did you get at customs?

I was also considering a similar trip to Fogstar, good to know it's it not too tricky to arrange.

It killed me fitting everything in!

Just make sure you strap it down well and wrap it. I had no issue using the Aldi ratchet straps, but I had to cut a meter from each one. I wrapped bungee cords around it to keep the wrap from coming loose. Was solid at full motor way speeds. I could have fit 2 on the roof rack side by side.

No issue at customs. Asked about alcohol, tobacco or cash in Dublin. Told him I don't drink or smoke and I spent my last 20 on KFC in Wales 😂.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

just on way back from France after returning the mini countryman ev. All went fine in the end. Haven’t been charged for any charging yet via card. The mini could do 22kw AC charging which was very handy. Lots of 22 kw chargers around where we were and not much else. Sixt were excellent too. Will use them again.

Did you offer to collect your son purely to devour for the battery cells? 😉

Sounds like a great trip, really hard to beat supercharger pricing even for non Teslas

Having the auto steering really does make a lot of difference on longer journeys, makes it a lot less head wrecking

• Advertisement

Yeah France went a bit mad for 22kW AC early on and there seems to be loads of chargers around. I guess with Renault pushing it with the Zoe it makes sense

Glad to see more cars using 22kW, it's handy when it's there

It's good to see the rental companies getting the idea when someone asks for an EV they won't be happy getting swapped for a diesel car. That's probably one of the main things that puts me off rentals (other being the prices, can be pretty steep)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭prosaic

Travelled down mid West Side of France on Fri/Sat of the basy weekend. Iecharge in Le Mans: it is well off the motorways, hidden in a suburban/rural area, up a rugged lane. We used the 320kW unit and it went to 210kW but went offline after about 10 mins and half the charge we wanted. Maybe the hot day 29C and high charge rate caused an error in the transformer as both units went down. I've noticed a few of their stations have been down sporadically. I'd use the 150kW unit next time.

On to Tesla in Tours which worked perfectly. Nice bit of shopping and the American diner place does nice leaf tea, a rare thing.

On to stop overnight near Chateauroux. Should have slow charged that evening.

Black Saturday for EV drivers seemed particularly black. Went to the ionity place in Boismande. 4 high power chargers with queue of 50 mins. A well organised group managed the order and chatted. Only needed 20 mins once connected. It seemed a lot of ionity stations were at similar overcapacity. I think the Tesla one in Limoge might have been more free.

A few traffic jams to add to the occasion.

Quick topup in Caussade to finish the not so pleasant day.

Just to note that it was fairly busy for all comers to the Aires on Black Saturday. Queues for pumps too. Just not so long.

We stopped in Aire near Masseret for few mins and there was a TotalEnergies ev station with a queue of 7 cars for 4 units. Queue was managed by an employee with clipboard!

If better prepared, could avoid these bottlenecks but it's just the busiest day of the year for travelling south in France.

Which date was this as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I suspect the poster was referring to last weekend (2-5 August) which was this year's "chassé-croisé" weekend. There's no "Black Saturday" to speak of in France, but every day is given a colour by Bison Futé (green, yellow, red or black) for each direction of travel "outbound" and "return" (primarily with reference to Paris).

The term "Chassé-croisé" translates as "criss-cross" and generally refers to any weekend when holiday makers are going in every possible direction, and in particular either the last weekend in July or the first weekend in August. For this reason, Saturday 3rd was classed "black" on account of traffic being heavy on all major routes. There are often several "black" days throughout the year (the worst so far in 2024 was in May).

If you were on smaller roads though, as I was, you wouldn't have noticed much of a difference compared to any other Saturday. I noticed that there were several EV charging points in the car-park where I spent the night/next morning, with a grand total of two vehicles plugged in over the course of 12 hours.

Thanks. I was on the road from La Palmyre to La Rochelle and then to Caen the previous Saturday but never had to queue for a charger once but I was heading the opposite direction to the main seaside destinations. Nantes was still chronic though. I don't think I've ever avoided traffic there 🤣

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_%28France%29

If we had time and heads pace we'd go off motorway more. We did a good stretch of it off motorway after Tour and it was quiet pleasant. Went off motorway for two sections on Saturday, where there were traffic jams. In one town it was slow going due to people avoiding jam.

Yeah - that's an Anglo-American term pasted onto the original French, written by a railway enthusiast. In France there is no one "Black Saturday". Contrary to what the wiki article says, newspapers refer to un samedi noir (= "a Saturday designated 'black' for heavy traffic") and in due course they'll refer to un dimanche (classé) noir (dans le sens de retour) and other "black" days and directions.

If you want to label the weekend in some way, you'd be better off using the French term Chassé-croisé, as featured in the French version of the Wiki page, which incidentally, is how it was taught to me in Dublin way back in the 80s.

As with most things from the 80s, the concept is dying out because even the French have realised some traditions are not worth wasting a hot summer's day stuck in traffic jams for … so they do it in the Spring instead when our multiple public holidays line up. As I mentioned, the "Black Saturday" this year was the 11th May (followed immediately by a "Black Sunday"). The all-time record was also broken this year - but on the Wednesday (8th May), with traffic jams totalling 2125km at midday.

Incidentally, if you're following road signage rather than a sat nav, lower-traffic alternative routes are indicated for all major destinations : a yellow panel with the word "bis" on it -

These aren't short-term deviations, but long-distance routes set up to avoid known bottlenecks. When the motorways are clogged up with tourist traffic, the "Bis" route can shave a good couple of hours off a journey (and they're generally toll-free, and fuel is cheaper along the way, if you're into that kind of thing :-) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

great info thanks! We were caught up in the holiday traffic with our EV last year. It was crazy in the AIRES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Top marks, better than my learned understanding.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

Yes, good to know. I'll look out for bis routes in future!

To add to iecharge, tried another today. Got 15 mins at about 105 kW on 160 kW unit and it hit an error. Both sets were knocked out for maybe 15 or 20 mins. This was running on the lowere power side which I did to avoid overloading it. Perhaps some issue with transformer overheating, since both sets were knocked out at same time?

A guy pulled in on way back to UK from Spain. He'd been using Tesla all the way and it was a breeze. He thought to give iecharge a try. Back to Tesla for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Baybay

A couple of screenshots from a bit earlier this afternoon just to underline an earlier post by @CelticRambler on how travelling by motorway on certain Saturdays can be challenging. Today is one of them although a little bit better in the region than last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

we drove across France there (petrol estate) at the start of August the day before the Juliettes and the Aouts (people coming back from a July break, heading on an August break) were about to all be on the road for one of the black Saturdays on the road. Because of the somewhat better toilets and also in the quest for a picnic table in the shade at lunchtime, we dropped into quite a few rest stations and at a couple there was a queue for the half dozen or so quick chargers, at the others no problem getting a charger. Almost all cars charging were Belgian, UK or Netherlands.

On the way back just there a few days ago, less stops were had, but there was ample available chargers anywhere we stopped with max 1 or 2 charging, if at all. We also saw stations like by Disneyland where a dozen + chargers were installed and nobody using them. Further along a Tesla station with I would say 30+ chargers and next to nobody using them.

Anyhow, one observation is that its bonkers how many people are stop at those large rest stop car parks on a busy day for a break/ picnic/ lunch - whereas on our return journey/ winter they are virtually deserted. That begs the question how chargers can be provided/ justified/ managed for those occasional peak days when you have a couple of 100 cars all stopping for lunch and wanting a charge - but otherwise no need for them. If everyone wants a charge at lunchtime you really need a reservation system, peak pricing or some other way of managing demand

They will also need to work out better traffic management as the ONLY path through one large rest area passed by the chargers and a Evs fighting over who should charge next and blocking all other users of the area. It was a really stupid design decision and eventually busy charger areas will need a properly marked queuing area away from those not looking to charge.

Another observation/ thought is that eventually they may need to get round to equipping some of the non manned services to having chargers (or is there such a plan??). Some of those basic services now have a coffee machine and vending machine so if they had a charger or 2 it could be a reasonably pleasant place to stop. That aside, some of the larger unmanned rest stops have lovely wooded picnic areas so for longer lunchtime stops there would be demand for charging from people stopping for a prolonged stop.

Oh, and in non Ev matters, when down to 80km in the tank we stopped for petrol in Alsace at an online station and the fuppin station was out of petrol. Only the french could manage to not have petrol at a petrol station at an online services. It wasnt too bad as there was an intermarche 10km away, on a quite pleasant parallel road to the Autoroute, so did get sorted and as its a petrol there was a fair few options even if intermarche was out of action.

Station was out of petrol, I've heard it all now 🤣

It would have been perfect if there was a bank of chargers at the same petrol station

I think you've got some great points, it's a difficult balance between adding capacity and ensuring it'll be used. I'd say we're still a bit away from EV charger saturation though, 90% if vehicles still have a combustion engine

I'd say when it does start to happen then battery backed chargers will really come into their own because they enable another source of revenue by selling electricity back to the grid and also have lower running costs

I think better signage around EV chargers would really help a lot. Those hubs that were full was likely in part down to some networks not appearing on all providers

If you were driving along the road and on the services sign there was a live display with the number of available and unavailable

So for example if you saw a sign saying there were 12x 300kW chargers at the next stop and 9 were unavailable it tells you a bunch of useful things

-There's a bunch of 300kW chargers ahead

-Some of them are currently available so there's a good chance you can charge

-If those chargers are occupied by the time you get there, then there'll probably be good turnover so you won't be queueing long

Add a price display, and a sign showing the distance to the next charger hub and you've got pretty much all the info you need

I've seen videos of some Ionity stations where a guy was directing traffic and helping people plug in on busy days. Was probably a one off though

A pull through layout would probably help with spaces for queuing, so you just join the shortest queue

we stopped for petrol in Alsace at an online station

What's "an online station" ? Alsace is my home-from-home, but if you asked me to direct you to an online station, I wouldn't know where to send you. :D

I could tell you where you'd get the cheapest (liquid) fuel on any given day, though. Generally not anywhere the Swiss or the Germans have easy access to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

I understand online to mean a motorway service station where you dont have to get off the network. Usually fuel is 5-10% more expensive at them. Some EV charging hubs, especially Tesla SuCs, are offline where you have to exit and reenter.

So just "motorway services" then … ?

I've had a quick look at the fuel availability on the A35 (main north-south motorway in Alsace) and see that SP95-E5 is out-of-stock just about everywhere. That stands to reason - we don't use it any more in France; you choose either SP95-E10 or SP98.

Unless @munchkin_utd is referring back to last year, in which case there were shortages of all fuels in Alsace on account of the heatwave/drought, and there being not enough water in the Rhine for the tanker barges to travel fully loaded … but the same weather meant there wasn't enough cold water in the Rhone to cool the powerstations, so we were short on electricity too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

no, I was travelling through only 2 days ago. No loss, got a scenic spin through the countryside so was grand. And yes, there was a bunch of chargers there unused.

The Aire that had the queue for chargers was Aire de Bolleville north of Le Havre. The layout of that Aire is a little mental. Its a facility for traffic in both directions BUT in some fit of French quirkyness, they have decided to keep both sets of traffic separate with duplicate carparks, picnic areas, petrol pumps and Ev chargers - but share the restaurant.

Another point I forgot to mention was that the Hotel B+B we stayed at near Metz had just installed 5pillars, so 10x 22kw chargers. There seems to be a new law that all hotels in France with 20+ parking spaces must provide chargers by next year, so thats another piece in the jigsaw in making Evs (in general, not Tesla in specific) more attractive for long distance spins

That's what they're referred to on the signs 😉

Lesson learned, drive electric next time 😜

AC chargers were always popular in France, but it's great to see them getting rolled out en masse

I agree having destination chargers makes life much easier. I've done campsites with destination chargers in France, and without chargers in Wales

There were plenty of DC chargers around Wales so it wasn't hard to find them on day trips, but it was much simpler having the chargers on the campsite in France

• Advertisement
Advertisement