Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Jesus you really have swallowed the Israeli cool aid.

ICC is useless , Its not a genocide, channel 4 news is ****, Hamas are responsible for Palestinian deaths etc etc.

You really have a serious problem with anyone disagreeing with your stance.

The real truth is that the IDF and Israel dont give two **** about the civilian population of Palestine and will wipe out entire families to get one so called terrorist. They have broken numerous international laws regarding the welfare of civilians during war time and I for one hope that the leaders see the inside of a court room for their crimes against humanity.

The only long term solution is the two state one - Israel withdraws to the 1967 borders, dismantles their illegal settlements and lets Palestine govern itself. Maybe then there could be peace in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

"The real truth is that the IDF and Israel dont give two **** about the civilian population of Palestine and will wipe out entire families to get one so called terrorist…"

Recently, in the case of the mosque school shelter, it was that the Israeli claim to have killed 31 Hamas/PIJ fighting/hiding from among civilians (or "martyrs" as Hamas calls them all) was reduced on here to "one or two." Now here's an outrageous hypothetical scenario of just one, but with a big difference, that one is a "so-called terrorist". What do you mean by that? That, in your scenario, the Israelis had misidentified a civilian as a militant? Or that Hamas/PIJ are not terrorists?

Post edited by Balagan1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Civilians lives do matter if they are Israelis- things are done differently then.

Which is why the strike on Dief was only authorised after it was established he wasn't surrounded by Israeli Hostages. If the pro Israelis are consistent it shouldn't matter to them, since under the classification of self defense any act is permissable in pursuit of it even if it leads to deaths of Israeli civilians. They can blame it on Hamas anyway. Israel according to them has no obligation to act like a democratic state and worry about trivial things like international law. Hamas are to be condemned for violating international law , but the side i support can willfully ignore such things because they are a democracy and democracies can act as they wish in the name of self defense! At least until the doctrine is then applied to Israel.

Hypocrisy: The Final Chapter.

"Hamas are to be condemned for violating international law…"

International law is the term given to the rules which govern relations between states.

It isn't in any way binding on terrorist organisations. Violating it is pretty much the only thing Hamas can't be condemned for!

Unless, of course, you think Hamas is not a terrorist organization?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,139 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Right on cue -

They are making a laugh of Blinken for sure. The only other explanation is that Blinken is too close to the Israelis and is just bluffing with the peace talks.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0820/1465785-middle-east-gaza/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Netanyahu doesnt want peace. He will continue to order his troops to bomb civilians as long as it keeps him in power. He knows full well that as soon as a ceasefire is called his days in office are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Where does it say that it was a hoax? Have you anything other than Tweets from what would appear to be a very biased source to inform your analysis of the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ethnic cleansing doesn't have to be done in one go you know.

it can be done over years or decades.

so yes, israel are engaging in ethnic cleansing and genocide so as to steal the palestinian territories, and it won't stop there.

they are occupying the syrian golon heights among other territories outside their borders and the likelyhood is they will steal more from their neighbours as time goes on.

a racist, genocidal, apartheid state that needs to be beaten back within its borders and be treated the same as all other rogue states.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

"He will continue to order his troops to bomb civilians as long as it keeps him in power…"

No Hamas in the mix at all for you anymore? You had reduced it to "one so-called terrorist" in your scenario a few posts back, but now even he has disappeared.

Odd that you should comment on something that isn't in the post you quoted rather than what actually is in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Eudaimonia

What you are not stating is that at the beginning of every Israeli offensive orders have been made by Netanyahu that the Gaza Strip be evacuated. That doesn’t excuse targeting civilians but the question begs to be asked why are the civilians there if they have been given ample time on each occasion to flee. The answer is that they are either being ordered by their husbands or support staying in the land until death. T

Rational people would flee at the impending disproportionate might and air power of the Israeli army. So why aren’t the civilians fleeing at the Rafah border on the numerous times they have been advised to do so by Netanyahu? They digging their heels in making themselves victims and drawing out a suicidal plot to draw war crimes out of Israel. But what are Israel supposed to think of the inhabitants guilt or support of Hamas if they been advised to leave, given ample time and not done so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

He (or more accurately IDF I suppose) doesn't order "the strip" to be evacuated. They have never done that. They don't want to taint Israeli soil with Palestinian refugees, or spend their own money & time dealing with them.

The Palestinians are directed to move from one bombed out area that's about to become extremely unsafe, to maybe another less bombed out (or just as bombed out) area that will be safer for now until the Israelis need to bomb some Hamas there, or blow up/collapse a tunnel or perhaps hit a "power target" building/piece of infrastructure (if there's any left).

I think it happens repeatedly. Even with my totally limited ability to imagine the daily lives of people in situation Gazans are in, I am sure some must get must very tired of it + utterly worn down and give up packing and moving on such orders from IDF, and take their chances at this stage.

How many times were the population told to leave a certain area and go to another area where they were then bombed? Are you up to date with events in Gaza at all? I seriously doubt it or you wouldn't have posted that.

Yeah, it's clearly their own fault that the coloniser is killing them en masse. Move to where exactly? The places Israel tell them to go and then bomb anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So are you accepting that Israel are targeting civilians? If not, i'm not sure what you are saying you are not excusing targeting civilians.

"Dont misquote me or Ill report your posts. And definitely dont try to twist my posts to suit your deluded narrative…"

I have not misquoted you by a single word. I cut and pasted two of your posts in two posts to you, one this morning and one this evening. I invite you to check them for errors.

In the morning one I asked you what you meant in your use of the term "so called terrorist" and if it meant a misidentified militant or if you felt Hamas were not terrorists.

In response (to the evening post) you state you "stand by that" in relation to the above but leave me none the wiser as to what you meant. And you are of course perfectly free not to explain what you meant.

My evening post quoted your comment about Netanyahu "…continuing to order his troops to bomb civilians as long as it keeps him in power…" and raised the issue of the absence of any reference to Hamas. You did not respond to that and, again, you are free not to.

The last part of your response to me is responding to another poster's comments.

If you feel that quoting your posts correctly and commenting on them and asking for explanations is "twisting your posts" then feel absolutely free to put my posts on your ignore list.

Post edited by Balagan1 on

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

Netanyahu has no interest in a ceasefire in Gaza. His far right coalition partners will walk if he did agree to a ceasefire. Netanyahu has used the October 7th attacks as an excuse to commit genocide in Gaza. Defeating Hamas is a fallacy as Hamas is an ideology.

This Israeli regime is as close to a Nazi one as we have seen since 1945. Which is truly ironic. Israel by it's actions is causing it's very existence to be questioned. Netanyahu is willing to put Israel's continued existence in jeopardy as he pursues policies to save his own skin.

In murdering Haniyeh in Tehran Netanyahu poked his biggest backer America in the eye as well as killing one of Hamas's key negotiators. He also challenged Iran to a fight in so doing. Iran, has so far, thankfully resisted the urge to strike back. Some of that may be due to fear of an American attack.

The status quo cannot remain. Israel needs to radically alter it's attitude to the Palestinian people or be dismantled as a state. Any new Palestinian state must recognise the rights of Israeli's to live there as long as there are willing to do so peacefully.

• Advertisement

What absolute rot. They are ordered to move numerous times yet still get bombed when they do move to so called safe areas.

Thanks for proving my point and admitting Israel is bound by international law. With this in mind What is your opinion on the ICJ ruling regarding the West Bank? Also that the Israeli prime minister and defense minister have been accused of war crimes?

To answer your question, I consider hamas a terrorist organisation just as Irgun were. Do you you think Irgun were a terrorist organisation,Baglan1?

You have misquoted me. Quoting a single line of a post doesnt show the true context of a post and its not quite the etiquette of a discussion forum.

The first post you are referring to is this one which actually wasnt even a reply to you but to Peggyshippen yet you replied to it. Its not just about "one terrorist" - you left out a lot of the important context of the post. If you want an explanation about the "so called one terrorist" part - Theres plenty of reports of no Hamas members being present in these schools, hospitals or shelters yet Israel have dropped 2000lb bombs on them. Only a few days ago the IDF bombed a town in Lebanon - there were interviews with residents of that town who said that there were ZERO Hezbollah members in the town and they couldnt understand why it was bombed.Obviously the IDF will dispute these claims since their "intelligence" is so great.

So to sum it up - I dont believe that these schools etc are legitimate targets and that Hamas are present at every site and I believe that Israel are carrying out an ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people.

Jesus you really have swallowed the Israeli cool aid.

ICC is useless , Its not a genocide, channel 4 news is ****, Hamas are responsible for Palestinian deaths etc etc.

You really have a serious problem with anyone disagreeing with your stance.

The real truth is that the IDF and Israel dont give two **** about the civilian population of Palestine and will wipe out entire families to get one so called terrorist. They have broken numerous international laws regarding the welfare of civilians during war time and I for one hope that the leaders see the inside of a court room for their crimes against humanity.

The only long term solution is the two state one - Israel withdraws to the 1967 borders, dismantles their illegal settlements and lets Palestine govern itself. Maybe then there could be peace in the region.

The second post is this one which you have again left out some context. Again its related to my previous views that Netanyahu could stop this tomorrow - They have made their point by reducing Palestine to rubble. destroying almost the entire health and education system but he chooses not to.

Netanyahu doesnt want peace. He will continue to order his troops to bomb civilians as long as it keeps him in power. He knows full well that as soon as a ceasefire is called his days in office are numbered.

In both instances where I pulled a quote of yours to focus on specific questions that I had, I also linked to the full texts of both your posts. However, I will refrain from pulling quotes in future.I am also aware that one of my posts was in response to a reply of yours to another poster, surely perfectly acceptable on a discussion forum?

Thank you for your responses to the questions I had. As you will no doubt expect, I do not agree with you that Israel is carrying out ethnic cleansing on the Palestinian people. But the cataclysmic horror and fear and heartbreak that they are experiencing could not be clearer. Hezbollah and Lebanon, like the West Bank, are for another thread ( are there current threads on boards covering those?), but, again I would strongly feel that Israel's targets would be direct responses to Hezbollah's attacks and not directed at civilian areas from where Hezbollah does not operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Except that they always target civilian areas. They target hospitals, ambulances schools etc. they always claim that there's terrorists there and never provide any evidence. It's always "Trust us bro"

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭WEST

A snippet of an interview between CBS news and Dr. Mark Perlmutter, an orthopedic surgeon from North Carolina was on Newstalk this morning. It highlights that the IDF are just evil and it is difficult to comprehend that anyone can support these actions that are done on behalf of Israel. The pro-Israel people might be able to excuse civilians dying from a bomb blast, saying that is just war, but how can you support Israeli soldiers deliberately snipping children.

From the interview:

Dr. Mark Perlmutter, an orthopedic surgeon from North Carolina, and vice president of the International College of Surgeons, volunteered in Gaza from the end of April through the first half of May. Asked to describe what he witnessed in Gaza, Dr. Perlmutter replied, "All of the disasters I've seen, combined – 40 mission trips, 30 years, Ground Zero, earthquakes, all of that combined – doesn't equal the level of carnage that I saw against civilians in just my first week in Gaza."

And the civilian casualties, he said, are almost exclusively children. "I've never seen that before," he said. "I've seen more incinerated children than I've ever seen in my entire life, combined. I've seen more shredded children in just the first week … missing body parts, being crushed by buildings, the greatest majority, or bomb explosions, the next greatest majority. We've taken shrapnel as big as my thumb out of eight-year-olds. And then there's sniper bullets. I have children that were shot twice."

"You're saying that children in Gaza are being shot by snipers?" asked Smith.

"Definitively," said Dr. Perlmutter. "I have two children that I have photographs of that were shot so perfectly in the chest, I couldn't put my stethoscope over their heart more accurately, and directly on the side of the head, in the same child. No toddler gets shot twice by mistake by the 'world's best sniper.' And they're dead-center shots."

Extract above is from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/children-of-gaza/#:~:text=Asked%20to%20describe%20what%20he,my%20first%20week%20in%20Gaza.%22

There will be the required mental gymnastics applied to defend it. The children were believed to be hamas members; the doctor is a hamas supporter- anything but apportion the blame where it lies.

You are entitled to feel as you like. The evidence to the contrary trump your feelings,however. There is a reason Israel won't let journalists into Gaza, and it isn't to ensure the safety of the journalists .Still the truth gets outs.

War criminals always have their apologists- some people still feel Milsosevic was a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Eudaimonia

Yes I heard about that interview saying sniper bullets almost surgically targeted in the dead child’s chest and forehead which can leave no doubt as to war crimes being committed. All war crimes must be punished and the leaders Netanyahu and the leading military members must be held accountable. These actions must be stopped and punished.

What I don’t like, is Irish people who refuse to condemn the Nazis in WW2 and the IRA shouting their heads off about Israel committing those crimes also. It’s sadly possibly the long term demise of Israel which will result from such actions which Irish anti semites will be delighted about. With the far right capturing the middle in America it is very dangerous times for Israel and the world and it could all go up in flames internally and by stupid Americans who don’t heed calls for restraint.

Just to clarify if anyone thought my previous post was excusing war crimes it wasn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm not sure why you think there are irish posters here who are nazis supporters or IRA supporters. I don't think the actions by Israel will cause their demise, nor do the majority wish that here, we just wish they would stop committing war crimes.

It is strange that so many Israeli supporters seem to show more distain for the Irish calling out the the Israeli actions than the Israeli actions itself.

Advertisement