Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Date RTÉ Radio 1

• 30-12-2023 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭

This show can be hit or miss when it comes to good tunes on the radio Friday and Saturday nights. Unfortunately when it's presented by the main host, a certain Fiachna Ó Braonain, him of the Hothouse Flowers, I have to say his music choices in the main are awful middle of the road stuff. It seems as if he's giving some of his local musician mates a leg up by playing them on the radio but 90% if it is just so dull.

On the odd night we get a replacement host, the quality goes right up, especially when Ray Cuddihy, Nadine O'Regan or Cathal Murray are on the decks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭morphy87

Late Date it was a show I used to really like, my favourite presenter was Alf Mcarthy, I thought he played great music which really suited the hour of the night and I thought it was a better format when the book on one used to start immediately after the news compared to now it starts at 11.25

Lilian smith was also a great host at the weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Cathal Murray has been consistently great on Late Date imo

Lovely manner, voice, interesting playlists and tempo to the show he does

I very much agree that the show with Fiachna is a different thing, and I completely think the same thing about the 'mates of mine' thingy. He seems to be always blowing his own trumpet somehow and thus irritates me, but mainly I don't listen to his nights because the music tends towards boring for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Cathal is excellent, used to fall asleep to it midweek but now listen to it on headphones on the Web the next days; as said, FOB is horrifically self-indulgent, you would know he has strong family connections in RTE - even when he fills,in for Creedon on his absences, the shows are dull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

FOB has family connections in RTE? That would explain a lot. Who are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

Got to say I agree with all here. Cathal is fantastic, as is Ray when he stands in, always has an interesting selection. Have not heard much of Nadine.

Fiachna is absolutely insufferable...as was said it just seems like you are gatecrashing a party of him and a few of his mates all blowing smoke up each others holes. This carries over to when he fills in for Creedon. The same bunch of people all texting in and chatting to each other via a radio show. Same music, same people....

On that note, he must have internal connections. In what other world would an active touring musician, who mostly works weekends with his main job, be given a weekend night time radio slot??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

In the interest of fairness.. Cathal Murray is the nephew of the late RTE presenter Colm Murray

It's RTE, par for the course but I don't think that's an issue in and of itself. Some people are insufferable with or without family connections in life

FOB is just both, connected and an absolute bore to listen to

as gaeilge, ach "ag obair lu cúrsaí riaracháin" means he was the accountant so must know where plenty of bodies were buried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Alf McCarthy, an RTE employee was forced to retire at 65.

On the other hand, FO'B, the son of another RTE employee, who presumably was also forced to retire at 65 at least 25 years ago, was able to use that family connection to hold on to his Late Date role. Now that his father has died will FO'B's contract be terminated? After all there must be many offspring of people currently working in RTE who would covet the Late Date gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭gluppers

When I hear "New Irish music" I run a mile

• Advertisement

Heard a bit of Leftfield last night on Late Date last night while out in the car. Fair play Cathal. Always a good mix guaranteed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

as announced today, after 14 years Fiachna's final show is tonight.

why would he leave a cushy few nights of radio each weekend (when he wasnt playing with the hothouse flowers) and also filling in for john creedon? was his contract not renewed?

no doubt they've a female lined up to replace him. those who have covered for him in recent years have been terrible, so lets hope it's a "real DJ", the ones we used to listen to back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

^^ "real DJ" replacement ? ? if not deceased these ones are either retired or on far more eminent contracts. Lucky if we get anybody who can talk a wee bit knowelgebly about the songs and give somewhat solid comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I've found that ANYONE who stepped in for him did a much better show. I don't want to gloat but I'll welcome a new presenter to freshen up the playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭deise man

I'd fully agree with you. The music selection was always better when someone subbed in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ray Cuddihy does an outstanding job when he deputises,hope he gets it.

The same producer, so dont give the presenter credit for the music. those days are sadly gone.

Hopefully Ray. Fi O'B played a lot of the same stuff over the years. Usual Irish stuff. Good night time Radio voice though, and a good man by all accounts

I am guessing he was axed from Radio 1, Fiachna doesn't seem like a person who would give up such a high profile gig.

or maybe being a member of Hothouse Flowers was creating problems in relation to the RTE payments scandal, similar to the social media 2FM presenters who recently left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I would say its a mix of more Hothouse Flower commitments and also he spoke before with his wife on BOC Show about his son who needed extra care and support (can't remember all of the details) and possibly the whole RTE debacle and work outside of RTE disclosures
    Will be interesting to see who gets the weekend gig as I'd say their listener figures at the weekend is higher than week nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stinkbomb

Fiachna probably just has too many weekend commitments between the flowers and the 'on the road' project. Spinning too many plates was how he put it I think. He's also starting a podcast with Tom Dunne. I'd like to think he'll turn again on Radio 1 at some stage even if it's just covering for others.

Cathal also announced this weekend that he'll no longer be doing Sunday nights so presumably whoever gets the weekend gig will do three nights. I also hope Ray Cuddihy gets it.

any hope of any former 2FM presenters from the 80s/90s getting slots on late date?

currently John Kenny is the only ex 2FM fill in on late date

with the RTE nixers register in the news today, i'm sure fiachna earns a fair bit as a member hothouse flowers. I'm assuming this is why he had to leave ??

Then again is brendan o'connor still editor of the sunday indo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xxnza.com

They have dispensed with Fiachna's services and cut Murray back to 4 nights so that Ciara King will get 3 nights, they are paying her 55k per year, so at least now she'll be doing more than roaming the corridors.

please tell me this is a wind-up. she's as bad as the 12 noon presenter for bluffing about music.

they haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xxnza.com

You can thank the department of social protection, they have in their wisdom decided that anyone on 2fms books longer than 3 years, who's pay was never adjusted is entitled to be an RTE employee.

Your hothouseness has gone

Handy gig now for Cathal, 4 nights a week

• Advertisement
Advertisement