Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland GAA final & All Ireland LGFA final

• 01-08-2024 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

Last weekend tickets couldnt be had for love nor money at €100 a pop. I had folks from Galway telling me they had looked everywhere and were desperate.

This weekend, the tickets are on Ticketmaster for €30 for adults and €15 for kids, and they arent anywhere close to selling out the lower tier of Croke Park.

What is the issue here?

I know people like to have a pop at LGFA, and the camogie association. And they like to have a pop (rightly) that the women arent as well funded.

But its been pretty well documented that these games are happening. The tickets are easy to get.

The only people responsible for putting bums on seats here are the Gaelic Football communities of Kerry, Galway, Tyrone, Leitrim, Fermanagh and Louth. Why arent they supporting their teams? Especially, why arent the women in these counties supporting their teams? Why arent the parents with young girls in GAA clubs in these counties supporting their teams?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Why arent they supporting their teams?

They have no interest that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Well they should. The games are just as good as the mens games.

And its just not about 'interest' - its also about role models for tens of thousands of girls playing gaa games.

This game should be a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Charlo30

Nail on the head. When Dublin have been in the final they've drawn a decent crowd. But mainly because the DCB have given a lot of free tickets to clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Charlo30

Bottom line. You can't make people take an interest. And the Ladies Final has no divine to sell out. If the product was popularly enough they would have no problem filling Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Fyi I paid €55 for a terrace ticket last week, and there were plenty of tickets around on Sunday.

From a Galway perspective there has been 3 big matches at Croke park in the last 5 weeks, quite expensive to get to all those. Also factor in the heartbreak of last week, going back to Croke park so soon would be traumatic (I'm not joking).

I agree with your overall point, I hope ladies Football and Camogie keep growing in popularity, it won't happen overnight though.

I'll watch both the ladies finals on TV, looking forward to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Largely the same reason that thousands of Irish people support British soccer teams rather than their local LoI team i.e. marketing, tradition of support, perceived quality of the sport, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

These games will never get the same crowd, they are not the best teams as any of the men's teams would beat them.

However, the LGFA made a huge mistake by changing their season to shadow the male game. Had they left their final in September than they would have had significant media limelight for 6 weeks. In the last two weeks with the All Ireland hurling and football finals involving relatively novel teams there is only so much opportunity left for the ladies game to get publicity.

And in practical terms, Galway people not going to trek to Dublin this week again, especially as they are likely to be disappointed again. Kerry is a long way from Dublin, the cost of the tickets are only part of the cost of the day.

Nobody said they were the best teams.

What I said was that the games were just as good. Would you not watch Ciara Mageaan or Mona McSharry because the men can go faster? Their races are just as good.

What I will say is that a lot of the same ingredients are there - supporting the county, supporting the player from the local clubs, in an All Ireland final in Croke Park. But people do it for the mens, and wont do it for the womens. In particular what puzzles me is - all the women involved in GAA in these counties - why are they not getting out there to support their county teams.

Your point on September is well made - however the female players have the same problems as the men with long seasons and losing out their summer months, so fair is fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For me it stems from the Club game rather than the County game.

If you're not in the 'circle' you wouldn't know what's going on at all. Hard to get involved as a fan of the County team when you barely follow the sport as it is (compared to Hurling/Men's Gaelic Football which have massive coverage).

It's a long-term project obviously but they really really have to up things Marketing-wise and get as many eyes on the product as possible, while also trying to make the product exciting to watch for new viewers. Funnily enough, a lot of people think having it on TG4 is great for it, but we know ourselves, casual viewers of a younger age won't stick around on TG4.

Two more things - A) Lack of decent Social Media from LGFA (and Camogie Association) doesn't help…and B) Like the GAA, not using a Data Provider leaves the information on their webites boring and basic. There's Irish Data providers to Clubs and Counties that have thousands upon thousands of data points and these archaic organisations don't want to use them.

• Advertisement

Take all your points - but I'd still feel there are enough people involved in GAA in these counties to fill it comfortably. They know its on, social media presence or not, and they arent going.

And they are missing out by not getting involved. It was brilliant for Meath when the LGFA team won two years in a row. And the crowds were big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Course there is enough people but they couldn't be arsed going. The Semi finals were a double header a few weeks ago with what looked like 4 or 5 hundred at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Tickets for Hill 16 were €65 I think, people keep talking about the €100 seated tickets.

There is no logical reason why I would attend a ladies match. The people who go seem to attend because they want to bring their daughters to it whereas I have no kids. You may say "well you attend mens games", yes I attend mens games because that is what I grew up with, I didn't grow up going to ladies games therefore I have no interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭threeball

No, no their not. They're miles off. A good minor boys club team would beat them and that's the reality. Great to see women's sport progressing but if people want to see big crowds then women need to attend the games and support it in the same numbers as men support the mens codes. There will be a handful who went to last week's game and again to Sundays.

No point comparing them to olympians either as anyone competing for honours at that level is an absolute unicorn. Freakishly athletic in their given discipline to be in the conversation at world level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

When you look at the crowds at the matches up to the finals it's no wonder that the crowd is small for the actual final .The years they had big crowds were really manufactured crowds with a lot of free tickets and counties having to buy tickets .I have attended when Dublin were playing and have seen the the same profile of fans there, a small number of adults with the vast majority of the crowd being kids and young women .It's a shame I know but even the crowd I would attend a men's match with the women had little interest and these are women who attend matches throughout the year .

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carfinder

I think the Lidl ad on radio (not sure if on TV as I don't watch tv) calling for an end to inequality in sport and referencing the large variance in attendance at the womens games versus the men's games, is pathetic, woke crap.

There is equality of opportunity for both - but the wokies demand equality of outcome and anything less is "inequality".

Lidl should stick to selling cheap groceries and power tools and let the Irish public decide what way they want to soend their weekend free time, and their money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

You're right about the Lidl advert. Its very condescending. You'd swear someone had issued an edict preventing people from attending.

The geographical spread of the counties contending all of the finals really hurt the attendance this year. When Meath and Dublin were playing it was very easy for even casual fans to head in for the matches.

A few years ago I found the ladies game quite entertaining, but now with teams adopting the same tactics as the mens game it is a poor spectacle. As the ladies cant kick the ball as far as the men defensive coaches can really pack the area around the D to stifle their opponents attacking play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

What was the crowd today didn't look that big and the senior final wasn't great ,looked a done deal for a long time .Definitely missed a couple of local counties involved. The three winners rightly won't be bothered but it wasn't a great advert for the ladies game today .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I commented about the Lidl ad around a couple of weeks ago.

It's woke nonsense. It's not inequality, the truth is the majority of people just don't give a damn about women's football or camogie. The 2 camogie senior semi-finals were on in Nolan Park last weekend. If I said the stadium was 1/5th full, I would probably be generous.

Anyone have the attendance numbers for today's trio of finals? Didn't watch it but heard Off The Ball describe Kerry's first goal in the first half from a nothing looping ball in. Which connects to my next point.

"The games are just as good as the mens games."

🤣 No they're not. The standard is tripe.

I have today's attendance. 30,340. That's pathetic. What's the excuse? 3 finals, tickets cheap as chips, being given away in some instances, heavily promoted. Do these matches cost the GAA money?

Post edited by sligeach on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kerry played some nice football, was a bad spectacle because Galway were poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The games are nowhere near as good as the men's. That's why people aren't attending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is equality of opportunity for both - but the wokies demand equality of outcome and anything less is "inequality"

If you where anyway involved in ladies football you would know well that there is no equal opportunity.

The girls get short shrift all the time, they are second class citizens compared to the boys.

I've seen it loads of times as both a girls and boys coach.

The girls are always bottom of the pile when it comes to access to pitches, equipment, etc.

I've seen u-14s girls (15 a side/full pitch) have to play a challenge game in preparation for the county championships on half a pitch because the u10 boys needed to use the other half of the pitch.

That doesn't happen the other way around.

Our u14 and u12 teams have to train in the local rugby club because none of the three clubs they are affiliated with are willing to give them a definite day and time to use any pitch for training, the boys teams get first call on the slots and the girls are forced to work around what's left

Clubs pay lip service to the ladies game and the need to retain girls playing into their teenage years, but it's only lip service.

And I can totally see why the boys get better treated, they are the ones that people will come to see as seniors and keep the club fielding teams in the county championships.

Only if ladies clubs own their own facilities, be that merely a pitch to train and play on, will they be able to do things their own way and not be relying on the "boys" club.

So no, it's not "wokies" demanding equality of outcomes, it just the absence of equality of opportunity.

I've been at plenty of good LGFA games - Meath and Dublin for example have had some super games; especially the final a few years back.

There plenty of lads out there who will have a closed mind about it, as we've seen on this discussion. But really, they arent the ones the LGFA should be trying to persude to go to the games. It would be bit like asking some alt-right good ol' boy to vote for Kamala instead of Trump. Wont happen.

I hear what you saying - and there probably should be joint ownership, but to my mind there already is. Like yourself, I've coached girls teams and boys teams. Its the same game, in the same club, on the same pitch, in the same jersey.

I referenced this earlier, a gripe I have with womens football is that women dont support it and they are never called out on it. Thats the same at Croke Park on Sunday, and the same with coaching underage. Its all the dads who run the show, or for the most part it is.

The GAA/ LGFA is a volunteer run organisation, I feel women need to be more involved in the grassroots running of it.

One additional point - its not my experience locally that the girls get short shrift for facilities. The biggest gap is that they dont have women coaching them, and I think that matters a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hopgirl

We are lucky enough with our U12, U14s U16 and minors the pitch they use has availability and doesn't get sidelined due to the lads. But where the senior ladies train and play their matches they don't get to play their matches on the main pitch due to the lads/boys training or having a match. They are put down to the bottom pitch. They can't even use the facilities even when they have a match as the men get priority over the ladies. So glad that the girls use a different pitch now when one sees the carry on that goes on with the ladies.

The U14s had a schedule match away but the other team couldn't get a slot in any of the three pitches due to the lads using them. Even though, they had booked a pitch but the boys got priority over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Lidl advertisers for the ladies football have clearly changed their narrative over the years.

Lidl ladies football advert 8 years ago -

The ladies Lidl advert of 3 years ago had changed to "level the playing field" - equality angle

6 months ago Lidl's slogan has gone even more direct. Rather than focus on the play on the pitch, the slogan has changed to "smash inequality get behind the fight" break the barrier etc. Complete with a Sinead O'Connor song to hammer home the message.

The truth is the majority of women do not support women's games, the quality overall is not good enough to make the men (who are used to the men's game) to go and watch. Women do not have interest in sport in general the same way men do.

A lot of young women who go to men's matches, they go because there is a crowd there, and it basically is an "event". Young single women of dating age also know that men's games with decent crowd, means an opportunity to meet men. The match itself is secondary for the majority of women supporters. That is the truth of it women have other interests.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Give me a shout in a few years time when the next "good" game happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The games are different.

Basic biology means to that the ladies can't do the same things as the men.

No one in kick long range points like the men, you're not going to see some of the scores the likes of Rian O'Neil got this year in a ladies game.

Keepers are going to get chipped more.

Female players don't have the speed male players have.

So there is no use comparing it to the men's game.

Advertisement