Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh, nice one @Comerman! That looks so delicious (I have never tried ribs!).

I haven't come across the Smokey Sally stuff down here, but will keep an eye out. 🤤

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Comerman

Too posh for the ribs igCorcaigh 😁 I'm too poor for Ye're kinda grub 👍 smokey Sally was purchased in an airport in Portugal as far as I remember.

Nah, just still exploring meat cuts @Comerman, it's only recently that I've tried steak. The old vegetarian roots are still strong in me :/

I'm the opposite, just put meat on the plate and I'm happy, each to their own eh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Bit of baba ganoush. Toasted pitta with it.

Making burgers and lamb koftas too but this is the pretty dish. Dinner in the garden I think.

What's going on with images? Can ye see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you click on it, you can see it but otherwise, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

My computer is telling me it's a .heic file, which is "the space-saving standard image format used by Apple across their devices."

So, you might want to look into telling your iPhone to save photos as jpegs, or something else that everyone else uses 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Juicy burgers. Salty streaky bacon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Love the pineapple addition. Huge fan. And yes, on pizzas too.

Such an underrrated fruit.

Gotta get at least 1 of my 5 a day.

• Advertisement

Such as this Nal, leftover dough from Friday. Hot pineapple is 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭con747

I rectified that for you. Lasagne with garlic potatoes and coleslaw.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Talking of coleslaw … got some from Supervalu the other day, just the standard stuff. Was mightily disappointed when I read the ingredients list (after tasting it and thinking it was a bit 'meh') no onion in it! How can it be coleslaw with no onion?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭con747

Most supermarket ones have no onion, I always throw in a chopped up scallion from the salad into mine.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Griddled pork chops with Greek green beans (Fasolakia) and steamed potatoes.

Encona jerk BBQ sauce for seasoning.

I completely overcooked the pork. Stupid BBC recipe!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Channeling my inner churchill insurance ad - oh yesh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Absolute bugbear of mine, find dunnes and lidl reliable for onion content

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Recliner

First of the Hello Fresh recipes. Bacon and mushroom linguine. Have to say, even with my limited taste, it was bloody good. I did add some cherry toms and basil that I wanted to use up, but the OH was very impressed. He did add a barrel load of parmesan to his, and he said he'd probably add chicken to up the protein. We both agreed that the chilli was a great addition. Not something I would have used myself, but I'll definitely use it in future.

8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Traditionally, I don't think coleslaw contains onions. It's not going to keep very well with onions which is why most commercial versions don't have it. If I wasn't going to use up all the slaw in one go, I wouldn't use onions either.

Day 2 of Hello Fresh meals.

Salmon with buttered rice and roast broccoli.

Very disappointing. I gave the 2 pieces of salmon to my OH because they were tiny. The rice was very stodgy and the broccoli was still hard after 40 mins in the oven.

The OH said the salmon was very tasty, seasoned, coated with mayonnaise and breadcrumbs. But he hated the rice and broccoli as did I. I cooked some prawns in garlic butter for myself to have instead of the salmon.

No pics, honestly it looked too disgusting to warrant a photo.

3/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

I was sick with Covid and I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out shopping. It just seemed like a handy way to get what I needed to make a few meals without having any waste. Also, there was a offer for 50% off the first box, I love a barg! I've one more meal to make, but I've cancelled the subscription.

I think it has its merits, I could definitely see the value of it if I was living on my own or living somewhere rural. I know I could have gotten a supermarket delivery, but my brain was not braining enough to even think about planning what to make, and the no waste element is very appealing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I tried Hello Fresh a few months ago as well and cancelled it after week 3. Mostly because I didn't get to it in time to cancel after Week 2 😁 The meals we chose were mostly tasty but I thought a Hello Fresh order would save me time but it did the opposite. Instead of cooking a recipe I know well, I had to keep checking the recipe card to see if I was doing it right and I honestly would have been better off just cooking my usual stuff. At the time I was doing several week night classes and needed to have dinner soon after but HF did not improve the process for me at all.

Last of the Hello Fresh dinners. Cottage pie, was supposed to be served with green beans but they looked a bit ropey, so baked beans it was.

Tasty, good sized portion.

Overall I'd give the whole experience 6/10.

Post edited by Recliner on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 536 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Too warm for lots of food so a quick charcuterie board instead

Quick! I'd be an hour slicing the cheese never mind the assembly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grilled chilli and lemon chicken, Asian slaw, cucumber, maybe some rice.

Chickpeas in BBQ sauce, carrot and sweet potato mash with mackerel (canned, King Oscar's).

Actually very tasty 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had chicken goujons from the air fryer tonight. We normally deep fry so the four sprays of oil was eye opening. 18 minutes at 200c and they were dry and tasteless.
    Too high/too long? Maybe chicken thigh meat will survive better.

Advertisement