Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PremierSky

Hi, anyone receive an update from PAS on the Open Panel for batch 4.2?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PWDUB

Hi @PremierSky

Note received from PAS on 16th of July.

We have not yet commenced the clearance of Open candidates in batch 4.2.

No other details I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Foxy1987

Hi @PremierSky I received this update on Monday re open Dublin - "We have just commenced the pre-employment checks of the Open candidates in batch 4.1"

@civilservant01 sorry to hear that! You can email for feedback but from past experience it is quite vague! No harm to ask for it anyways! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moneymaid

I have an AP level interview which involves role play.

Role play is not something I'm familiar with in an interview setting. Has anyone done a role play in an AP interview previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Disney2003

To those with an offer on batch 4.3, I asked PAS and they said there are approx 20 people still to be placed from batch 4.1, & 4.2 . I am on OOM for batch 4.3 but I am not to hopefully! I know the batch finishes in October 2024 but the next competition is going to take a while to get people so will they draw from 4.3 until the new one is up and running?

Is this for open or interD? They told me Monday they are still pulling from 4.1 on open for clearance but have finished clearance for 4.2 on interD and are starting 4.3 in the coming weeks!?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sweeps McKenzie

I genuinely think they wouldn't be establishing panels if vacancies weren't projected. They've already committed to carrying out pre-employment checks for Interdepartmental batch 4.3 'in the coming weeks' (which admittedly could amount to quite a lot of weeks!), so I can't see them not doing so for the Open batch 4.3 at some stage. I think there's more chance of them extending the expiry date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭countyireland12345

I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise (that you will be placed). I would expect anyone currently on a panel will be placed by 31 October. Not sure if they will call another batch to interview though. They have vacancies every year towards the end of the competitions and they don't extend them so I expect they won't this time either. Suspect they will want to launch a new competiton before the end of the year so they have a new candidate pool to tap into. PAS confirmed a AP competition would be launched in 2024.

Just to note that PAS did recently extend the current PO panel from the 2022 competition until the end of this year so it is a possibility that the same will happen for this panel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭FlexBrowne

I hope you're right but in regional panels there may not be any posts. Start all over on November 1st. Was on an internal AP panel which also expired. Getting tired now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Brera

I would be surprised if they called another batch in this competition. I would think that between 4.1 and 4.3 would be enough until the next competition is up an running.

Its just a bad time of the year. I can see everything grinding to a halt from now until September. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Post edited by Brera on

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rog32

If the current competition expires in October does that mean that all panels will expire and won’t transfer onto any new AP competition or how does this normally work?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 is that a button

Yes, if the competition expires then order of merit no longer matters as the panel ceases. There is no option to transfer across to another panel, etc after that date. Instead you would need to apply for the new competition & complete the entire process again including strategic analysis exercise & interview. I believe anyone who is in the process of providing clearance documentation at the time the comp expires would be offered a position but anyone still waiting on the panel would not.

Thanks for that, it be very hard to start all over again!! Time will tell I suppose if there is going to be any movement on panels, summer time of it probably doesn’t help. Fingers crossed some panels start moving over the next few weeks!

Does anyone know if the majority of new AP jobs being offered are full time in the office in Dublin? I have heard there seems to be quite a few refusals (but basing this on info from one person in my office)

• Advertisement

Hi everyone - just an update - they have already put no1 & no.2 into clearance from InterD batch 4.3. I also confirmed that there is no break or slow down in summer months so we can remain hopeful.

I have heard reports of people turning down transfers either via mobility or secondment as it required being in the office full time.

A lot will depend on the role and the departments attitude.

They do seem to be moving very quickly !

Good to know they won’t be slowing down during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ozark

Hi @Ozark yeah we did interviews last week of June into start of July. And they are on 4.3 of the InterD Dublin panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ozark

Thanks Foxy. That is amazing! Congrats to everyone seeking work in Dublin. A friend is in that batch and I am optimistic for them. I turned down a job in Dublin many months ago and sit waiting on a regional panel. I got the good news last October and after moving up 40 spots for Dublin and a few spots on that regional panel, it STOPPED moving completely in November. I pm'd FlexB recently with suggestions to try and break the log jam. Last year I naively hoped they didn't offer me a job before Christmas as my hols were set. Now I fear the panel expiring. Hope FB gets an offer this summer. Pity to have to start all over again.

To be honest I am regional too and once offered Dublin it will be down to remote working options so after all of this it may not work out but I am remaining positive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Swilly22

I hear DSP are full time on site for new staff. I am 3 days wfh 2 days in the office in my new AP role.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 awickmor

Is the panel for this competition still due to expire on 31st October 2024?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,608 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As if DSP isn't an unattractive enough place to work in already… is that time limited or indefinitely full time WFO?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 busher07

Currently based in DSP and it’s the first I heard of this. I know of one AP who started and he was expected to be in the office full time for the first few weeks but after a while he was allowed to work from home 3 days a week.

I have heard of people turning mobility offers in various departments because they were expected to be in the office full time. It all depends on the role, the office and what you PO is willing to allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Swilly22

I worked in DSP for many years, i loved it. In the functional area I left, the rule was no remote working at all for the first year .

I worked in DSP and it was a hellhole… that was down at the coalface but nobody higher up seemed to be happy to be there either. Anybody who could get out got out. I know more than one person who turned down a promotion because it was into DSP

Scrap the cap!

I was surprized at some recent comments here as I was not aware that some civil service depts were pushing for full time office attendence. I accept that some people hate wfh & would prefer to be office based, but personally I have no intention of returning to a full time in-office role & I feel that people should be offered a suitable compromise. While full office attendence may be initially required, to allow for training etc, once training is complete I see no reason why a blended option could not be offered. On reflection, most people only attend the office to sit in front of a computer anyway to access cloud systems, which can now be done from home, without the hassle of a commute! That's just my view! .. I found another boards thread which discusses civil service blended working in detail & I queried members on the current stance of depts. Interestingly it seems like some of you here were correct & that there is an evident push for full office attendence. See thread link below for anyone interested in reading further... & skip to the final few pages...

• Advertisement

I accept that some people hate wfh & would prefer to be office based

There's nothing stopping anyone from doing that if that's what they want.

Scrap the cap!

Absolutely! & I completely agree... It was more the fact that wfh options seem to be resinding that I was specifically focusing on... For anyone who prefers a blended work option..this does not seem to be offered in some depts now, while other depts appear satisfied to incorporate it in.

Hi folks,

I got in touch with PAS today, inquiring specifically about Interdepartmental Batch 4.3, and received this response:

"Clearance has just commenced on Batch 4.3 with only one candidate in clearance so far."

Just by way of update and FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PWDUB

Hi,

I got in touch with PAS today about Open Batch 4.2 and they have started clearance. As far as I can make out they have processed 2 from this batch since the 16th of July so an average of 1 a week.

Could be wrong in my sums.

Thanks PWDUB,

I just put in a supplementary query on the Open panel, so they'll likely give me that very same info.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ritournelle

I've queried re this batch too as I'm in it and have the same 1 a week estimate (so 14 weeks til Oct 31). Hopefully they will increase the average in meantime

Latest from PAS, in response to me asking about the Open panel batches:

"The only candidate in Clearance is number 1 on both panels."

Don't think I'm much the wiser, other than only one person from Batch 4.3 as a whole is in clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ritournelle

I'd say they mean they have 1 open from 4.2 and 1 interd from 4.3 currently in clearance. Disappointingly slow either way though!

Actually, come to think of it, I finished 6th in both Open and Interdepartmental 4.3, which means that whoever is first in one is first in the other. So just the one individual from 4.3 either way.

I agree it's excessively slow in any case.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how many people are on each batch for open and interdepartmental panels?

There are approx 25 on batch 4.3

Hopefully they start moving on the panels or a few of us will be left disappointed!!

Interesting that early last week 2 were in clearance for 4.3 when I emailed so either the person replying was giving wrong info or someone decided they did not want to be considered anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sbtr2023

Hi All, I currently work in a Local Authority at AO level and have been keeping an eye on this thread as I'm very interested in moving across to the Civil Service from Local Govt. Has anyone any advice on what to do to prepare for the probable upcoming AP competition? I've never done a competition organised by PAS. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Gadgetman99

There isn't a whole lot you can do to prepare. But saying that, I would highly recommend reading both this thread and the one from 2020 lots of good advice on what to expect and advice on how to approach the different stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sbtr2023

Sound, I will have a proper read through, thanks!

Hi - received an update today that there are only 8 ahead of me now for InterD Dublin - I placed 16 so they are moving through this one at a good pace!

Hi @Foxy, are you on Batch 4.2 or 4.3?

4.3 InterD - there are 30 ahead of me on the open as of today also for anyone who is interested in the open only.

Okay - good to know. I placed 6th on both Open and InterD on 4.3, so they must have missed me! Having said that, sometimes people on a panel get specially selected for reasons of internal retention (so keeping corporate knowledge etc.) or on account of having a specific professional qualification. I'll try not to take it personally!

• Advertisement
Advertisement