Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killer (2024) - John Woo

Options
  • 02-08-2024 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭

John Woo remakes The Killer

Drops August 23th on Peacock.

Nathalie Emmanuel (The Fast Saga, Game of Thrones) as Zee, a mysterious and infamous assassin known, and feared, in the Parisian underworld as the Queen of the Dead.But when, during an assignment from her shadowy mentor and handler (Avatar’s Sam Worthington), Zee refuses to kill a blinded young woman (Diana Silvers; Ma, Booksmart) in a Paris nightclub, the decision will disintegrate Zee’s alliances, attract the attention of a savvy police investigator (Golden Globe nominee Omar Sy; Jurassic World franchise, Lupin), and plunge her into a sinister criminal conspiracy that will set her on a collision course with her own past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Is this any connection to Fassbenders The Killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

She is no Chow Yun-fat.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Was thinking the name sounded familiar. Thanks for the reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

He looks determined... without being ruthless. There's something heroic about him. He doesn't look like a killer. He comes across so calm... acts like he has a dream... eyes full of passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No its a remake of Woo's 1989 film swapping the male lead for a female.

Some things are best left be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

It's funny how John Woo is such a revered name in directing action films when he's had more misses than hits especially in his Hollywood career. I mean he deserves a lot of reverence just for "Hard Boiled", "Face/Off" and "The Killer" (original version) alone but I think this is going to be more like "Paycheck" or "Mission Impossible 2". And he needs to stop with the doves thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I've nothing against gender/race/whatever swapping and I do like that actress in what I've seen her in.

But that does nothing for me really. I know of course Woo did Face Off but that was an American-styled movie really. I don't think Asian cinema translates very well (excuse the pun) when remade in Asian cinema style but western. If you know what I mean.

Slow-mo, flashbacks to something that happened 5 mins ago, music choices etc, they work in Hang Kong movies but, for me, just don't transfer well.

ADAPTATIONS can work. I was never a fan of The Departed as I never understood Mark Whalburg's character and Jack Nicholson was just doing Jack. And the original trilogy is just fantastic (And holds up). But I realise I am in the minority there and it was very well received. But that's because it was not trying to replicate the original stylings.

And it's the same with other Asian director styles. I love Wog Kar-Wai's work. They are amazingly beautiful and the syling (offscreen, barely audible dialogue, shots of random movements of characters) just didn't woork for his American "My Blueberry Nights"

TLDR: Looks meh 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To crib a Simpsons quote:

And by "funny stuff" I mean hand-holding, goo-goo eyes, misdirected woo … … which is pretty much any John Woo film.

Hot take: John Woo was never that good a director and whatever he "had" during his Hong Kong days, it sure didn't get added to his checkin luggage when crossing to America. I'm surprised his name even gets noted now TBH 'cos he has had a dozen chances now .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will give him credit for at least leaving a bit of time in between. There was a horror film (the last shift) which was remade by the same director less than a decade later.

Also Hard Target wasn't that bad in hindsight. It was a mess but a memorable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sam Worthington playing Irish and of course a French set film with Eric Cantona, will he do any high kicks 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Double post, deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Eh you forgot Hard Target! Jean Claude Van Damme's finest moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

all I can remember about the original is the white suits, all the better to see the blood. I assume there were also doves. IIRC Hard Boiled was better.

Face/Off is a work of gonzo genius but MI:2 was easily the worst MI movie, so he's not exactly a guarantee of quality. But if he wants to remake this, fair enough, hardly anyone under 40 is likely to have seen or even heard of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I love Broken Arrow, John Travolta chewing the scenery, class baddie and Payback with Mel Gibson isn't bad either

Post edited by JP Liz V1 at

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I sometimes get mixed up with Hard Boiled as watched both around the same time.

I'll spoiler in case they come up in this film though unlikely for the second one.

Hard Boiled is

The hospital single shot

And The Killer had

The scene in the blind woman's apartment with the cop and assassin pointing guns at each other while acting civil for her sake

?

Advertisement