Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭gjim

I don't see it as a massive problem. Or at least I don't see a need for any hysteria.

Given that most of the capacity being added is renewable, an overall expansion of consumption and production of electricity will result in smaller and smaller share for fossil.

Datacentres are just doing the work that would otherwise be distributed across consumer devices except there's efficiency in doing the work at this sort of scale. If we don't want to curtail access to the benefits of modern technology, then it's best the heavy lifting is done in data-centres rather than on everyones' phone/laptop or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Every job "offloaded" to a datacentre incurs a pretty heavy overhead. It makes sense to do this only when the DC alone has the means needed to perform the operation (e.g. web search and other heavy computation with large datasets), but I've seen local client applications offload trivial calculations to "the backend" for the sole reason that it's less hassle than doing it locally.

As an industry, Web-based services have as much interest in energy efficiency as the US car industry did in the 1960s when petrol was ten cents a gallon…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Loading ourselves with data centres makes our chance of hitting our carbon reduction targets ever more difficult. We should only be building data centres to soak up excess capacity - not running to keep up with an ever expanding demand. There are already places such as Norway which can meet this criteria.

It's a crazy policy.

Come on, very little energy required to send data - compute at both ends dominates the energy consumption.

Moving servers and services out of DCs and into on-prem racks is not going to reduce the aggregate consumed energy - it will increase it as well as hugely increase the amount of electronic waste. Just because it's easier to measure DC energy consumption and difficult to measure aggregate "local" compute energy consumption doesn't mean you can discount the latter.

Whether modern software is bloated and inefficient is a separate issue and affects all software regardless of the topology/architecture.

Yes, youtube is wasteful of energy, as is computer gaming, running TV stations, hosting big sports events, eating out in restaurants, travelling anywhere, etc. But which of these "wasteful activities" are justified and which are not, again is not an argument that has anything to do whether we'd be better off in term so aggregate energy consumption if we moved more to on-prem from DC .

At the end of the day, warming is a global issue. There's no harm in using local or country based metrics for setting goals/targets and tracking progress but the most important thing for me is the global/aggregate metric. If 100 arbitrary countries blow through their targets while at the global level we manage to cut emissions sufficiently to avoid climate disaster, then I'm fine with it. Of course to do this, individual countries should set goals and track their progress.

• Advertisement

"Very little energy". Do you know how much, or are you assuming that it's not much because "everyone does it"?

Do you imagine that a datacentre CPU is more energy efficient than the one in your mobile phone? And that's before considering the transmission costs inside and outside the DC.

YouTube isn't actaully that big an energy user per client: it pulls data from a filestore and copies it into a transmission buffer: there's very little computation needed, and this can be (and is) done in hardware to save even more energy. The big hogs are the medium-usage services behind your mobile apps that aren't big enough that optimisation would be commercially beneficial, but are still big enough that their inefficiency is significant.

However, the energy efficiency of software, while of nterest to me, is off topic in this thread, so I'll leave my comments at this, except to say that because DCs are such a big part of our energy consumption, the inefficiency of that software does have an impact on our environmental targets, and it's one over which we have little control.

Do you know how much, or are you assuming that it's not much because "everyone does it"?

I don't get the "everyone does it" bit? I know that the energy cost to move data over fibre is a fraction of that to move it over wired ethernet which in turn it a tiny fraction of the energy cost to move the data around a computer bus which in turn is a fraction of the energy cost to move the data through a CPU. Transmission costs are effectively nothing - 99%+ of the energy consumed by DC is consumed on the motherboard either directly or in trying to remove the heat from it.

I don't even have to do the calculations - just touch an ethernet cable. Is it even warm even when carrying data at max capacity? No. Now try touching a busy CPU (actually don't or wear gloves) - it's hot, RAM is warm as are motherboards. The energy consumed becomes heat.

Do you imagine that a datacentre CPU is more energy efficient than the one in your mobile phone?

Of course it is! Energy is possibly the biggest ongoing cost for running a DC, if operators could achieve the same computation using mobile phones, DC's would be filled with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't know how much energy is required to send a packet but it's not what's flowing through the cables which use the most energy. It's the routers switches gateways and firewalls which consume a tonne. Touch them and you'll find that they are very much hot and are critical in sending data. Also the surface area of a cpu is much lower than that of a cable so even if both had the same power running through them the temperature would not be the same.

That said I have no problem with data centers. They pay for the power they use so are paying for the expansion of the network. As long as they don't cause Brown outs or black outs of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

These numbers from 2022 compare the %share that data centres consume across EU countries - Ireland a clear outlier

Source: https://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/handle/JRC135926

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tarant

"They pay for the power they use so are paying for the expansion of the network. As long as they don't cause Brown outs or black outs of course."

It just means competition for those electrons and higher prices. But then we should discuss how we could use that extra money and direct it towards green energy investment. A bigger market should also get bigger players involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Electrons aren't electricity and there's no competition for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Electricity is not a finite resource, in a normal market you supply more of the needed goods and both make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tarant

At the moment we are exporting charged electrons to Great Britain, because they are paying enough, so we are turning up the gas and oil power station

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We are actually a net importer of electricity the past year. The wholesale cost of electricity is actually cheaper in the UK then Ireland, so we are importing more, which keeps prices down in Ireland and keeps gas and oil power stations off.

And to the point, more generation leads to lower prices. UK Wholesale prices are on average less then Ireland as they are a much bigger market, with more generation you end up with a bigger market, more competition and thus lower prices.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As an example, over the course of the past week the Norway → UK interconnector has solidly been supplying the UK with 1400MW of electricity, while the UK → Ireland flow has averaged 760MW across the last week towards Ireland.

In effect, Norway exporting their surplus to the UK and the UK exporting their surplus to Ireland means that the additional capacity in Norway is powering Irish data centres.

This is of course true - big switches and routers consume significant amounts of energy. On the other hand, that big router is probably sitting in front of hundreds or thousands of machines. Amortized over each machine, the energy remains relatively insignificant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

[This was posted (in error) to the Nuclear thread, so here it is.]

My gas supply is, and largely has been, about one half to one third the cost per KWh than electricity.

So why would I change my gas condenser boiler (with 92% efficiency, if that is believable) for an electric based heating system?

Now I know that a heat pump is noisy but can achieve efficiency of 300% under some conditions, but the need for significant insulation for reasonable performance would, to my mind, put a HP on the back burner.

I would rather go for A rating and a quiet life. Solar panels make more sense anyway and heat recovery ventilation is also attractive, but hard to retrofit.

Electricity leaves one in the dark if one is unfortunate to have a widespread power outage. I remember a power cut on Christmas day that left many turkeys uncooked for the dinner - not good. Makes one think of backup generators and batteries.

The rule of thumb is 5-15 kW per cabinet, depending on what's in the cabinet (storage is lower, compute is higher, switching and routing is in between) - some applications can use as much as 25 kW, and the absolute limit for power supply is around 50 kW. To that you have to add the energy costs of cooling all of that equipment. The biggest DCs have thousands of such cabinets.

Between switching, firewalls, load balancers, processing and data-stores, making one request to a datacentre could involve ten or more pieces of equipment, each with its own power overhead. The DC operators try to keep that overhead as low as possible, but it's still there.

So, that's as much about DCs as is relevant here.. I don't want to drag the thread off topic. Suffice it to say, they are really power hungry, and there's a lot of scope in software to reduce that power use, but nobody bothers unless they're the size of Meta or Google..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Over the past 20 years gas has consistently been about 1/3rd the cost of electricity for me (per KWh).

So a heat pump with a CoP of 3 would outperform a gas boiler with 92% efficiency. But the tricky part is the very high upfront capital cost of installing the heat pump versus a gas boiler (if already in place), specially if you need to do underfloor heating, lots of installation, etc.

I did the maths for my Apartment, while it would be a small bit cheaper to run the heat pump, the savings were tiny and it would take 75 years to offset the capital costs. And even that is unrealistic as it didn't take into account the cost of replacing the heat pump every 15 to 20 years.

Note numbers done on air to water heat pump, air to air might be different.

So basically a heat pump wouldn't make sense for me.

Having said that, never a bad idea to add insulation and if building from new or major refurb, then heat pumps do make sense.

You'd also want to think about the cost of a heat pump versus Solar and Solar + battery.

On electricity, one thing to keep in mind, modern gas boilers require electricity to work. How often does your electricity go out? Enough to invest in generators, etc.?

Living in Dublin city, I certainly couldn't justify spending money on backups, but living in rural area with lots of storms and multi day outages, then I'd certainly think about it.

One simply backup my parents use to have was they kept a Calor gas cylinder in the garage, along with one of those gas heaters and gas camping cooking stoves. A relatively cheap and affordable backup. These days I might add a portable camping battery backup, could keep your phone/laptop/router going for days and you could bring to family/friends to charge up.

You can of course get whole home battery systems, but there are some extra complexities and costs if you want a system that will continue to work during a power outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Even if many of us don't really believe in the resource we have, the Germans do. Germany already knows it will need to import about 70% of the green hydrogen it will require to get to carbon neutral. It sees Ireland as a natural partner as we don't have very much heavy industry. Germany thinks Ireland can produce green hydrogen cheaper than anywhere else and as the sea routes are short, even transhipped hydrogen would be cheaper than producing it in Germany. So interconnectors are not the only show in town to capitalise on our wind resources.

https://www.german-energy-solutions.de/GES/Redaktion/DE/Publikationen/Marktanalysen/2023/zma-irland.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Meanwhile back in the real world the Irish consumer continues to be screwed on the back of wind developer led energy policies

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/levy-on-electricity-bills-set-to-add-to-costs-for-households/a1593055686.html

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

From the article.…

"CRU officials said in a statement: “From a customer impact perspective, the monthly PSO levy amount that domestic customers will have to pay will be €3.23 per month.”

This works out at €38.76 a year, but when VAT is added the annual cost will be €42.24."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Forty quid a year for energy independence and to help build the foundations of a new energy industry seems like a good deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Electrons go almost nowhere. They move at very slow speeds (relatively) and drift in random directions. Even when aligned in a direct current, it would take years for an electron to travel from Woodland (Ireland) to Shotton in Wales (if it ever got there). Just because junior cert science tells you that electricity is the flow of charged particles (which isn't incorrect, but it's not the whole story) doesn't mean that electrons flow when you flick a switch. There's no electron in the multiverse capable of travelling at the speed of light from the generator to wherever it is required. Physics doesn't allow such speeds as they have mass.

Also, today is the first time in over a week that there were any exports. We especially didn't export at the time of your post on the 28th so I'm afraid that your great rebuttal is entirely false. There were two Margin warnings issued in the last 14 days because a number of generators are unavailable and the wind hasn't been blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

It also goes negative when gas goes above a certain price, it has been negative and zero over the past 2 years.

Add in the €450 government credits and low users like me have had the cheapest electricity in Europe.

I'll say it again if our grid was 90% natural gas and no wind, bills would have been much higher the last 2 to 3 years.

The PSO levy has been around long before there was wind power. It's a charge that goes into a fund to strengthen Ireland's energy security. It used to be used to subsidise peat generation, but now that renewables give better returns, they are the greatest beneficiary.

Levies like this aren't to "screw the customer", but to improve price stability in the energy market, and almost every country without it's own fossil fuel resource has them (often called an "energy reserve fund").

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Can anyone imagine what the PSO would be to cover contingencies of nuclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

A planning application gone into Offaly County Council for a Carbon Dioxide energy storage plant in Rhode at the Energy Park.

https://www.eplanning.ie/OffalyCC/AppFileRefDetails/2460289/0

https://www.offalyindependent.ie/2024/08/01/major-air-domes-planned-in-rhode-for-storage-of-carbon-dioxide/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

V. interesting. Some details from the planning files below. From what I can see, it looks like EnergyDome technology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Energy independence?? Point is that Irish consumers are stuffed with the some of the highest energy bills in the EU and get little or no benefit from falling gas prices that back up the wind nonsense

Advertisement