Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Doc07

Almost like a man who wants to win the election as he can’t accept losing but also a man who has no interest in actually doing the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'd say he just wants to win the election so he can go back to golfing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Some of his lines are beyond tired, as well. He was doing his old, "You're gonna have so much [noun] when I'm president. You're gonna be begging me that it's too much." routine at the bitcoin thing.

I think that if his only other option apart from the presidency was jail, he wouldn't have run.

He really looks like he couldn't be arsed to run, saying the same old boring lines. There's not the same fire there that he had 8 years ago. It could be ages, it could be that he's just bored with it, but looking at the alternative, doesn't see what else he can do.

Also, if he really does believe the election is a foregone conclusion due to the officials they've put in place that will refuse to certify the results, he basically just has to phone it in at these rallies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We can shoot the messenger if the messenger is troll and/or a liar.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think he would have still run. He clearly couldn't accept being beaten the first time and thought he could take Biden if they went again (and he likely wouldn't have been wrong on that). He doesn't want to do the job of President, he never has. He wants status and legacy and reverence. It's why when he says he barely knows anything about Project 2025, I believe him, because he doesn't care. The concern isn't that he agrees with it and will advance it, the concern is that he doesn't give a f*ck about it, and will advance it because the people in his administration and the Heritage Foundation or whatever will change the name of it to Trump 2025 or something and he'll advance it. As well as further enriching himself and his family, giving more power to Israel and Russia so the conflicts end sooner and he thinks that will earn him a Nobel Peace Prize (even though his manner of the conflicts ending sooner would be built on more death and destruction of innocents), and his sycophantic fans will continue to praise him (whereas if he didn't run for President again, he'd start slipping out of public focus and news orgs would have no reason to dedicate so much time to him).

I think he absolutely always would have run again for 2024. His pure narcissistic nature wouldn't have allowed him not to. He lost in 2020 and he needs to right that wrong.

I'm reasonably confident he won't see the inside of a jail cell due to the high risk of turning him into the Nelson Mandela of c_nts.

Plus has no one learned by now that he thrives off of attention? Imagine if Harris won and the prosecutions against Trump went ahead. He'd still be in all of the headlines.

I'm not saying that Trump doesn't deserve punishment, but the thing that would hurt him the most would be to render him irrelevant.

Whoever in the Harris camp thought of calling Trump 'weird' was onto something. He hates that sort of minimising language. If they can divise effective followups to that (because they need to demonstrate they really have his number) and whittle him down to an old man yelling in a corner, then they will truly have won on all counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

I doubt that they will drop the classified documents case for which he would likely see jail time. It will be revived on appeal since the grounds for dismissal were so way out there that no other judge will agree to them.

To be seen to close down that case for political reasons would look very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

He's a sad loser. I have no idea if calling him weird was a completely natural response from Walz, and I have no idea what will come next, but I'm sure at some stage the Dems will point out how much of a loser he is. Never won the popular vote, and while I don't have figures, I would be incredibly surprised if the people he has endorsed have won more than their opponents.

A sad, weird, loser.

• Advertisement

I'd say that Trump knows quite a bit about Project 2025 because he admitting to having seen proposals from the document.

He falls back to the 'I know nothing about…' line any time he is asked about a controversial thing he's been linked to.

He used the line when asked about QAnon, saying, "I know nothing about them, other than they like me.... which I appreciate."

For any normal president, it would have been a lay up - "That's mental. This is exactly the kind of thing that is causing the division in our great nation."

Trump, "Not only will I not denounce this, I'll mention that I appreciate their support."

Yeah, perfect defence for,

"he never said he supported (some utterly heinous thing). He only ever said he appreciated the support of the people (that carried out some heinous thing).

They're completely different."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,634 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This was a direct quote from Trump in Truth Social:

“I know nothing about Project 2025… I disagree with some of the things they’re saying and some of the things they’re saying are absolutely ridiculous and abysmal."

Eh… how can you "know nothing" about it, and yet disagree and agree with aspects of it?
    So caught in a lie there.

And then, he never specifies what parts he agrees with and what parts he disagrees with, so he writes himself a blank cheque. Weasel words from a lying weasel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh I'd say he knows a bit about it, but probably mostly where it relates to what will benefit him (such as filling departments with people loyal to him, things that would affect elections, extensions to his powers etc). Other than that he might know the executive summary of it but mostly doesn't care about it.

But yeah, he could have written the thing himself but he'd still deny knowing anything about it and especially when it's becoming an anchor around their necks.

I don't think they will drop the cases against him but if Trump's loses that election, then all that's left is to throw every roadblock imaginable in front of their proceeding which will in turn keep him in the news cycle for way longer than he deserves to be.

If I were the Dems I would run ads with it described as the Republican manifesto. Show him inaugurating it and then show him denying it.

Run it every day.

He won't be running again if he loses so having him in the news cycle can only further hurt the Republicans.

If The Republicans keep running and losing with MAGA they are dead in the water as a party. Just like the Tories - lurching to the right ends in disaster. The problem is that that at least half of the white vote are not MAGA people.

The strategy for the hard right across the world is to get in once and gerrymander the election process to hold onto power - you can only effectively do that if you win once. This is effectively what Project 2025 is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You forgot "I can't get no satisfaction from my hot wife so I abuse women"

Why wouldn't he run again? In America, being a convicted criminal mostly, if not entirely, strips you of your voting rights, but it doesn't stop you from running for president.

If he wanted to run again and the base wanted him to, he would do so, and there really isn't much that the sane or sensible members of the Republican party could do about it or they would have done it by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,393 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just to remind everyone again, Trump is still slight favourite to win back the Whitehouse.

A man who throws a jealous temper tantrum when 16 hostages get released claiming he could have got more out and cash as well and everyone is a big doodie face.

You wouldn't hear it from an infant.

• Advertisement

Just to remind everyone also that Trump's (I think) first tweet after losing the 2020 election was, "I WON BY A LOT!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Awhile back I got to sit inside the control room for ABC news in New York City looking over the shoulders of a dozen or so professionals specializing in various tasks associated with the on air network show. They had several TV monitors on the wall showing what competing networks were airing live, as well as various camera views for theirs. The wall that all were viewing had screens and other readouts in addition to computer screens and keyboards on their tables they sat at in concentric rows reminding me of a JPL space launch center.

Occasionally someone would point to a competing live network screen and mumble something in their face mics. After leaving the room, I asked the producer who arranged for me to view behind the live scenes network action, and he said that the live network competition was so dramatically fast and furious that they may only have few minutes to air a news story behind a breaking news story of a competitor. If the breaking news was listed as developing, this would allow ABC to add new details live thus capturing the audience of the competing networks. More recently, there appeared to be a lot of this “developing” when Trump got shot in Pennsylvania.

The point being, that there may be some elements of “5 levels of ownership” feed with prior editing, as well as policies and procedures, there is also a large amount of on air live capture of news to draw audiences for ratings, and with good ratings, advertisers, and eventual profits.

He is already showing significant signs of dementia. He is going to be a drooling imbecile in 4 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh I fully expect Donnie to try to keep running. Trying to be president is all he's got left now, and the GOP themselves don't appear to have the spine or ability to replace him from their ticket.

The GOP had plenty of chances to get rid of him during his term and especially right after Jan.6 (which was arguably their best chance), but they didn't do it. They didn't want to suffer the 1 or 2 years of pain it would have caused them to get back to their version of "normal" and now the price is that they can never force him out. Donnie must now choose to leave, or expire naturally without an obvious MAGA heir (VD Vance clearly isn't that).

While Donnie draws breath he is going to contunue this circus while what's left of the non-MAGA GOP find themselves sitting on their hands and counting the days until he's fecked out of this living world.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Trump won’t quit the race. He needs to win to ensure that fed criminal cases like the 2 prosecuted by Smith can be swept under the carpet days after being sworn in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Let the festival of boot licking begin. Jd Vance debasing himself once again claiming Trump is responsible for getting the prisoners home from russia. What a pathetic ticket, what a pathetic duo.

They couldn't have gotten rid of him even right after Jan 6. Sure, many may have wanted to, but anyone who actually voiced the idea was probably subjected to heaps of threats of being primaried and/or killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Considering his age and dare I say it his diet, I can't imagine he has many years left in him. Why spend political capital trying to get rid of him, if he could well pop his clogs before the next election any way?

There's no need to cut the head off the snake, if the snake is already on life support.

Advertisement