Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

1197198199200201203»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Because it brings more women into the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭cms88

Again how by your logic is it a good thing? I mean your logic of even if they've been certified as unfit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Posters seem to be missing the point.

There are different fitness tests for men and women, as set by the defence forces. They can also change these fitness requirements when they wish. If it wasn't sexist before, how could it possibly be sexist now?

Honestly, it would seem to be fairly obvious to me that, in any walk of life, things work out better with a balance of genders. But I know SFA about running defence forces, so I can't say anything sensible about that. Here's some people who do know a bit about running defence forces;

The Defence Forces chief of staff has said it is vital that organisations promote gender equality and cultural, ethnic, religious and generational difference to deal with increasing global complexity.

Organisations that nurture difference and allow for mistakes as a form of learning will improve resilience as an "antidote" to complexity, Vice-Admiral Mark Mellett has said.
    achieving greater gender balance is a societal issue and that “improvement” in this balance at all levels “facilitates better decision-making and creative processes”.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/articles/2024/how-gender-diversity-improves-defense-operations.html

All-women teams that worked alongside special operations forces in Iraq and Afghanistan were able to build relationships in local communities that men never could, often yielding mission-critical intelligence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭iptba

Video posted on social media of four female Chicago police officers attempting to arrest a suspected shoplifter has sparked backlash over the department's health and fitness standards.

Footage shows the attempted arrest on 95th Street and Ashland Avenue where the four female officers outnumbered one male suspect.

[..]

Despite being outnumbered, the suspect managed to break free from the officers and ran off.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12792495/amp/Chicago-police-suspect-overweight-cops-female-scuffle.html

Video wasn't loading for me but I found it here:
    https://x.com/ProudElephantUS/status/1728139938057892080

" it would seem to be fairly obvious to me that, in any walk of life, things work out better with a balance of genders"

Too funny, certainly worked out better for the guy who escaped FOUR police officers.

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, but maybe you'd like to direct your questions to the Chief of Staff?

For a start he's the ex Chief of Staff. Secondly was it not you who sad the following? "it would seem to be fairly obvious to me that, in any walk of life, things work out better with a balance of genders"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,835 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe

This is the third warning. Any more bickering and I'm handing out bans.

Some posts have been removed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119619804#Comment_119619804

Watchdog: Prisoners sleeping on mattresses on floors 'wedged next to unpartitioned toilets'

“The size and design of many of these cells meant that mattresses had to be wedged at an angle next to the in-cell lavatories. At the time of the inspection, an average of some 38 men per day were being kept in these conditions, often with minimal out-of-cell time."
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41429905.html

Interesting to see how it's now also mens fault that female Olympic boxes can't fight each other.

Yes. It’s a common pattern: Happened to see this in a discussion yesterday:

If men have problems, it’s down to men or the patriarchy (i.e. men);

If women have problems, it’s down to men or the patriarchy (i.e. men).

Happened to see this today where someone had called for abolition of women’s prisons. Different people will have different opinions on what punishments offenders should face but the issue is the different treatment male and female offenders face, and want people to face in the future, for the same crime.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/article/2024/aug/04/me-we-need-more-funding-and-more-research

Abolish all prisons

I appreciated Eva Wiseman’s column about the urgent need for prison abolition for the roughly 3,600 women in prison in the UK (“Women’s prisons have served their time. They should be abolished”).

However, I did wonder why she stopped short of calling for the abolition of men’s prisons. Although there are more violent offenders in men’s prisons than in women’s, the majority of men are there for non-violent offences. There were 92 suicides in prisons in the UK in the year to September 2023, of which 91 were men. This makes the suicide rate in men’s prisons nearly four times higher than men in the general population. Men are also cut off from their children, and children from their fathers. Only 38% of men were offered a phone call to their family on their first night in prison, compared with 73% of women.

During my medical training, I shadowed the healthcare teams in women’s and men’s prisons. I was shocked by the terrible living conditions, very high rates of mental ill health and pervasive violence and substance misuse. Women and men in prison deserve comfort, safety and the opportunity to build a better life. Let’s end prisons and build better systems for all.
    Dr Charlie Wilkinson
    Hotwells, Bristol

(UK)
    Justice secretary Shabana Mahmood has 'ultimate ambition' to close women's prisons

To address the issue, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) will set up a new women's justice board, led by a minister and tasked with "reducing the number of  women going to prison, with the ultimate ambition of having fewer women's prisons".

• Advertisement
Advertisement