Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of the Dragon - GoT Prequel Series (non book reader)

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

Imagine standing in line as each person ahead of you gets burned alive in excruciating pain, eaten, or stomped on. There was 50ish people there? Do you really think a dragon is going to camly stand there as each peasant tries again and again and again?

These also are not people in their eyes. They're peasants and this is a chance to change their lives. Throw them in the pit and see who survives, if any. The dragon will choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, peasants, but also potential dragon riders. Sending them one by one would make more sense than a battle royale. Does the big dragon like this guy? No, what about this guy? And so on. They'd have reserve guys that dragons might like in the future as backups. But anyway. I can't believe I'm arguing about dragons and the order in which people should be put before them:-)

It doesn't make more sense. The dragon handlers refused to stay and the dragon would simply leave if you brought in 50 people one by one.

Its a tv series with dragons. No solution to the problem is realistic. Both have flaws. Its silly to call the show stupid over it. Its very obvious the flaw with both approaches. I'd prefer to watch that battle royal compared to a pointless one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It doesn't work like that for a dragon clearly. It's not about sending in people one at a time, for the dragon to let everyone test them. Two dragons in the last two episodes chased people and picked them at random. I don't think its a plothole, moreso that within the universe, they know how dragons operate and choose people more than you and me

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It was like house of dragons meets squid games.

• Advertisement

I'll be glad when we're done with the drawn out "dream sequence" carry on with Daemon. It obviously happened in the books but this "psychedelic" stuff is tedious. Rewatching Sopranoes you'd always skip the dream sequences at the start of season 6. Even Mad Men were at it for a while. Never an interesting watch.

Season 2 started strong, but it feels like the Daemon stuff really dragged out, then the Corlys Velaryon stuff on the docks dragged out with nothing happening, and it feels like nothing much has happened with Rhaenyra in Dragonstone for a while. Found myself bored with much of what happened in the last few episodes. This Riverland stuff is boring, unless they properly introduce us to the feuding families, but they don't.

I don't know how much of this "history" by the Maesters was covered in the books, but I've been starting to think are they dragging something out that should be thinner, to make 4 seasons? Like the Hobbit stretched over 3 films was ridiculous, and got very boring in parts.

Also with the time jumps since season 1, some of the relationships are now ridiculous. We're supposed to believe Alicent is a grandmother?. And Aegons kids seemed about 5 or 6? Come off it. How are we supposed to believe she's their grandmother? The hottest grandmother I've ever seen in that case ha.

What was impressive was the final scene in this episode, that shows of strenght with the Dragons to the Greens. Vhagar not fancying it, with Vermithor there. That was cool. Vermithor probably would of ripped him apart by himself.

I read on where this is going, and that's all fine, my worry is, how it will be "dragged out" over 4 seasons. Compared to even the Rings of Power, the second age of Middle Earth has so much in dept history in the appendices alone in Lord of the Rings. House of the Dragon doesn't have that in dept scope and world building of Tolkien.

I liked season 1 of HotD more than Rings of Power, but I'm now looking forward to the second season of the latter more, which will kick their story up a few gears! Can't beat going back to Middle Earth when all is said and done. The scope and even the intricacies of the Dragons' history in Middle Earth is far more fascinating!

I'd nearly be inclined to put this 3rd between the "big 3" medieval fantasies, I'd nearly move the Wheel of Time into second, it's slowly improving all the time

As I said, the Hobbit all over again, dragged out for the big studios to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭nachouser

I went back to the book, and yeah, they didn't send everyone into a kill room at the same time. According to mushroom, anyway:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

I’m actually more worried about Hugh Hammer who could be the most left-field of the three seeing his daughter died in part due to the king not paying him.

Mainly the fact that his wife was left in Kings Landing. She was in enough scenes to remember her and they made a point that she needed to leave for somewhere else. She’s surely either going to be killed or used as a hostage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Corlys needs to get over himself and legitimise his two bastards fast. Addams could be offered Driftmark by the Greens and he does seem a very ambitious man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah even though I can give it a pass because ultimately, hey it worked, most of the potentials never even got a chance because when the dragon burned the first guy, the flames also burned most of the other people standing there too because dragonfire from a large dragon…. not really that precise.

I hadn’t thought of that. The older bastard has gotten all of Corlys attention until now. Brother v brother or bastard v bastard would be quite GRRM alright.

Corlys surely offers Driftmark to Alyn. When he offered it to the daughter she said (roughly) "I am of fire and blood. Driftmark is of salt and sea". When he encouraged Alyn to go try for a dragon, he said he is of "salt and sea".

Addam defecting makes sense. Vermithor can't go to Aemond as he's the obvious challenger to vhagar. Ulf could go if they offered him something.

Definitely set up for Alyn to take Driftmark.

While Vermithor versus Vhagar seems obvious, it’s surely going to boil down to Caraxes having some involvement because an Aemond versus Daemon fight has to happen at some stage.

Thought it was interesting early in the season when Daemon wanted to quickly attack Vhagar in kings landing with Caraxes and Rhaenys/Meleys. Think the logic was that two more experienced riders on mid sized & experienced dragons would have a good chance against Aemond who’s still learning.

While Vermithor versus Vhagar seems obvious, it’s surely going to boil down to Caraxes having some involvement because an Aemond versus Daemon fight has to happen at some stage.

Definitely. I can see Vermithor losing to Vhagar but damaging him greatly allowing Daemon to get the kill. This then sets up Daemon v Rhanera for the crown.

If all this Haarenhal stuff is to be worth anything in the end surely it was to teach Daemon that he doesn't want the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm slightly disappointed about all the smallfolk turning out to be Targaryen bastards, because at least they gave viewers more of a perspective than GoT of how they suffer for the actions of the royals and nobility.

GoT started off well. You didn't have small folk characters but they were an important part of the politics. The turning point was when the very popular High Sparrow was blown up, a queen regent elected queen and nobody seemed to give a fuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Half a million living in King's Landing. Bound to be more than a few who were taken advantage of by their untouchable, imperial monarchy. And that's before we even get to whorehouses and drunken flings etc. I'd say the 50-odd we saw is on the low side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

They're just the ones who didn't spend their entire childhoods learning to maim each other instead of how to speak.

• Advertisement
Advertisement