Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭skinny90

Saturday looks like there will be an increased chance for cork, limerick clare and the midland's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Monday is looking interesting from Galway to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭glightning

How has this year been for you thunder wise? Literally have had almost zero thunder here this year where I live in Co.Antrim Perhaps 3 to 5 claps back in May (I think). And the way this summer is going, I fear that might be all we will see.

Also, this was a daytime storm yet again. I haven't had a good nighttime lightning storm here in 7 years now. Which is pretty crazy (and disappointing). Night time lightning would have been a thing that occurred at least every second year here up to 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I haven't even heard thunder or seen lightning yet this year. I'm in Limerick City and weather-wise it's been the most boring year with probably zero events of any significance that I can think of. In years past, July and August would have produced at least one decent thunderstorm but so far this year, I haven't even seen a proper cumulonimbus cloud, never mind a thunderstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah a very boring year so far. Only a sultry and thundery August and snowy December can save it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Macho Man

Sth East seems to have been the place earlier in the summer, a couple out Wesht but overall just a damp wet summer rather than an active one. I'm in Portarlington which straddles that midlands storm corridor and there's been nothing here at all. One or two down the road in Offaly but compared to last year its really really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Thunderstorm warning has been issued but I think they should be covered by area not counties

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Skies look very turbulant over Dublin (viewed from Greystones). Was out for a quick walk and was half expecting to see lightning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

some strikes around Celbridge area it appears according to radar but no reports from posters here ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭pad199207

Over Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭pureza

Quite a lot of thunder at the curragh,I'm told

'Savage' was the word used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭highdef

Intense thunderstorm approaching Burlington, Iowa (includes audio too) -

Much better further south @ Fort Madison!

Always amazes me how little thunder you hear from some of these US storms. Obviously a lot of the lightning happening waaaay up in the anvil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I was on a few storm-chase tours in the USA back in the noughties and often our group was standing close to, or under supercell storms with tops up to 40,000 ft. or higher.

Frequently the lightning was cloud-to-cloud and very high up in the top part of the cell and in effect five or six miles away, hence the thunder was quite faint when heard from ground level. It was eerie, especially after darkness fell, to watch near-constant lightning flashing in and around the upper storm structure, with just distant rumbles of thunder to be heard.

Yeah, exactly. I see this all the time on US storm chasing videos. Lots of lightning flashes but little thunder captured by the camera. Also seen this for myself this year in Florida where there was lots of lightning (daytime) going on but very little thunder heard compared to the action. For the same reason, all up high in the anvil part of the storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Macho Man

I stopped trusting Met.ie a long time ago but their current hourly forecast for tomorrow in the midlands has lightning around 2pm. Can anyone on here confirm that possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes lightning 🌩 showed for me tomorrow afternoon as well

Can anyone post the thunderstorm models for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Was due in waterford was well but now none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Shows for Dublin too but forget the hourly thing and read the forecast. No mention of thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of clusters of lightning strikes off the SW west coast at the moment.

Another cluster of lightning strikes now off the Galway coast.

So, maybe some merit/basis to ME (online) forecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like thunderbirds are go in the SW/W today, hopefully we see some decent snaps shared here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Blue skies on thr ramparts on Navan for morning run.

Wind rising now emmmm..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bright ,sunny and breezy from the East here in Tralee but gathering dark cloud from the West, sparks nearer the coasts now, will they move inland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Nice few rumbles here in W Kerry … steady rain with light winds

Strong breeze in Trim, Co. Meath. Also evident now is some Altocumulus castellanus, a fairly good sign of mid-atmospheric instability and possibly also high mid-altitude shear. I'm keeping a close eye on the radar to see if any squall type features develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

It is so dark in Westmeath Ive had to turn the lights on. Bit of rain now, but not thundery rain. Sort of, one step above drizzle.

There's a chance of some thundery outbreaks as the cold front passes over the country but probably no more than a couple of strikes in any given location. Ie: Thundery rain rather than an actual thunderstorm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Camera is at the ready but im not holding much hope.

Advertisement