Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New pane of glass

• 01-08-2024 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

A couple of months ago, one of my kids broke their grandparents window in Mayo. Normal window - double glazing. It cost €100 to replace.

Some weeks later, I broke a window in our own place. It's a relatively small window. Double glazing. But this time I was quoted over €300 by a local handy man. I asked around a little, and was was advised that Dublin Versus Mayo prices. But surely it cannot be that much of a difference.

What am I missing. Are the window fixing service providers ripping us off in the capital? Is there anyone who does these things in the capital at a normal price. I have seen these panes of glass getting replace. It takes about a half hour. And I'm sure the glass costs no more than €20.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Double glazing is cheap as chips, a double glazing 'unit' is typically around 100 EUR, fitting obviously extra. I'd expect to pay 150 for fitting as its a 20 min job to fit, except you need not forget that it must be measured-up and then ordered correctly, and that also needs to be accounted for. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What about the gas that goes between them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Has to be measured, ordered, cut, delivered or collected, driven to you, fit and sealed. Could be a few hours work involved in that. Time is money, we only have a few hrs a day to make money

20 euro is not relevant, I'm not sure if that's correct or not but nobody is doing anything for 20 euro these days that takes time.

100 sounds ridiculously cheap, I can't see how anybody did work for that price on a customer site.

300 sounds pretty much ok to me to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I've no idea what the costs are but I had a summer job installing windows about 25 years ago and replacing the panes is handy enough on the older PVC frames, no idea about the newer composite ones.

Remove the beading, measure pane and order a new one. When you get the new one, remove the pane. It's likely to have double sided sticky foam tape so might need some persuasion to get it out. It might also have some shims underneath to prop it up off the PVC. Apply new sticky foam if needed, make sure the shims are still in place, install pane, and replace the beading.

I probably wouldn't do the larger windows in our house but if one of the opening ones broke I'd give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭bfclancy2

you buy the unit with the two panes and the gas between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I did wonder when it might only be 1 pane of glass

Advertisement