Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Its for Bulmers. Its been mentioned two pages back. Its godawful. Their award winning "Nothing added but time" series of adverts seem like a world away now.

Thinking about it, its probably fairly difficult to make an advert for drink nowadays. I think they can't actually show certain things... like copious consumption, drunkeness, inappropriate or dangerous/illegal behaviour, I don't think they can even hint at sexually suggestive stuff like getting a young wan drunk and riddin her or even someone actually enjoying drinking for the sake of it (ie. a mad alcoholic hoor) .. and of course they have to tick every diversity box and have an alternative to their liver destroying poison on display in every shot......and all this after the 9pm watershed (or is it 8pm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think they could make one that isn't so false and cringy though, its such a $hit ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭deezell

It's like they're trying to lever the 4 Johnny's, or maybe the 3 Johnny's and one Jenny. In that sense it's a success, totally unfunny dialogue but they're laughing out loud anyway. Meantime, ticking the diversity box, if you can figure out from the clips who's with who, is it a twosome or a threesome, who's hand is Johnny 1 holding at the wedding table while he's wedged between J2 , 3 and 4. Are 2 and 3 gay? What's with Jenny? She's hardly bridesmaid to the blurred out bride on the left. What exactly is the message? Thankfully, it's all explained sincerely in psychobabble here.

https://marketing.ie/bulmers-ads-by-boysgirls-timely/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

Apparently 1/5th of Irish people are lonely. I’d say cider drinkers are more lonely than the rest given the bloody awful hangovers and lost days after a night on bulmers when you’re in bed and can’t meet up with everybody else

A flagon of Bulmers was once a primary ingredient of a ditch drinking kit, a bottle of Buckfast maybe, some Harp. In later generations the Harp became Dutch Gold, and the Bulmers was ousted by Linden Village or the like. You'd never see ads for plastic 2l of cider, with lads necking it from a paper bag on the canal bank. I must say I was impressed by the lad in front of me in Ballyshannon at the Rory fest, with a bottle of Buckfast in each hand. Respect. No one seemed lonely either.

This from Woman's Way mag in the 60's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

my go to ditch drink was large bottle of Marie Celeste cooking sherry, the Nectar of the Gods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

verisure alarm adverts, all over daytime TV….with this one and especially the other add where she’s in the advert with her mother who just sits there making nervous. ’ what in the sweet jeeebus am I actually doing here ‘ expressions throughout…

I know it’s only an advertisement but god yer wan Angela comes across as beyond fake and she won’t be getting many acting opportunities…you’d hope 😵

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You'll certainly feel lonely after a night on the Bulmers, sat on your on toilet at home, genuinely worried you are pooping out your insides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Bulmers ads have been going downhill since circa 2010 with that horribly twee series they did with the recurring village idiot type characters .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Well la de ####### da! 😜 That's long before my time, but I remember Dutch Gold(there were probably other culprits, but they're still around) alright, and Devil's Bit being all the rage. I wasn't a drinker in my teenage years(until right at the very end), but Bulmers could probably sue Devil's Bit for loss of income. I went from loving Cidona, to hating it after 1 session of drinking that disgusting "cider".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The new RSA ad, if you want to do proper shock and awe recreate a coroner court scene and say the cause of the crash was your son/father was an alcoholic or drug user who had a great night before he took the car to the road and wiped out 5 innocent people.

Theres an ad for... I can't remember, but a girl is chasing a windblown plastic shopping bag through the streets. It becomes lodged in a basketball hoop, and she leaps high, and in vain, to retrieve it. Camera cuts to a shot from beneath where a hand extends slowly and deliberately to reach the bag and dislodge it. Camera cuts back to a wide shot to reveal this Leviathan, who it turns out is a rather crusty looking old man, perhaps two inches taller than the girl, definitely incapable of leaping, and several arms length below the hoop. Is this meant to be some metaphor that the laws of physics don't apply? Or were they all out of Michael Jordan lookalikes on the shoot? I can't get past this bit, and simply can't recall the ad's purpose.

I know its been said before but basically any Ikea ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

I don't like Ikea anyway because in about 5 different apartments spanning 2 different countries Ive had the same 20 euro Ikea coffee table. You go into someones house and you can instantly see oh yea, that came from Ikea.

There's an ad on the radio at the moment where Ikea are reducing the price of cuddly toys.

What imagination-lacking idiot parent buys their kids cuddly toys in Ikea?

Their current ad, 'c'mon, c'mon' etc, had a banner with '"Dont try this at home", presumably because of the tick tick flames added to the first segment, or perhaps the last segment with the kid dangerously flambéing with very real flames (though doubtless digitally added) over a kitchen table with a portable gas stove, while dad ticktocked the risible and dangerous attempt. Tonight though, the banner had a big red X over the word 'Don't'. So its "Try this at home"? Add sparklers to your Teddy's trolly wheels, or burn the fkn house down trying to be Jamie Oliver. Again, I'm missing something, I thought they just sold cheapish furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭inajock

New ad on at the moment, can't remember what it's for only seen it once, any way the actress looks very like Angela Scanlon but it's not her. Strange looking angles and shots.

Looks like a f U Angela.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Martin is back, flooding the kitchen getting the wife to get off the sofa and ring allianz 🤢🤢. Turn the water off you Muppet never mind ringing anyone... God I hate that Ad, all we need now is for your man in the B6 Passat with his body coloured bumper to make a return…

The vodafone ads sound more like an advert for iWatches.

They don't say what the VF product is, I'm assuming its just a data only SIM, but your one running without her phone possible with her iWatch. "Only on Vodafone". I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Mac 3

The lottery ad. Where's accounts or something like that?

So we're transferred to a beach where everyone is working on a beach. So much to pick at here. Who thinks this up?

If you won the lottery, why would you be working still, let alone with people who you couldnt stand? I can barely tolerate a night out, let alone moving to the Caribbean with them…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Actually its right up there with the Lottery stupid water slide ad .

I dont ever remember a good lottery ad. Presumably the Lotto have a near unlimited advertising budget, you'd think they could come up with something semi decent.

Like Re-Scam, I'd imagine they have a hefty advertising budget, and they came up with one ad, using a song that was popular when I was doing my junior cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The other lotto ad with the hot one winning 20K a month for the next 20 years and giving the other women a little dig is annoying too, but at the least the token black friend is a whole lotta woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You'll be sixty😊, I don't find that one too bad, there's a lot worse out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've been meaning to post about this a few times, but couldn't be bothered doing the long explanation, so that's for that! 😀

The young wan had tried to jump up for it and couldn't reach, but this aul lad, barely taller than her, slowly reaches up and grabs it. From the next shot, it looks like he'd struggle to reach the net with a ladder!

I think the ad is for Axa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The new ad with ricky gervais and the dog barking. Barking dogs should not be allowed on tv

I assume from your avatar that your poor cat took off like a missile when the whelp yelped! I wonder do some doggy viewers try to chase moving cars on screen? I often wonder what animals actually think, as they must, about the human world. It's mostly, 😸 🐶? "there was food/tennis ball/string here yesterday, same again today, and most likely tomorrow, so, I'm staying."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The "play Lotto, or it could be him/her" ones were pretty funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

In my last place there was a lot of dogs barking day and night so the sound of a dog barking goes right through me now. The ad itself is stupid and makes absolutely no sense or any comparison to the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement