Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are incredibly small, though higher than they have been in the past. Though I would argue that not everyone in Ohio is ambivalent to the situation facing women in Texas or Alabama and are not quite as blasé about the situation statewide remaining as the status quo. Emotive issues such as abortion have driven campaigns for decades - to a large degree the Republicans managed to turn it into a fairly successful 20 year campaign.

I guess my point would be that something being or relevance to the Presidential campaign and something being of relevance to voters isn't always the same thing.

I also wouldn't quite have your confidence that there are sufficient checks in the system. I think it clearly was the case last time but it relied far too much on individuals, and they are coming in with a more cynical and targeted program this time around to try and destroy those. However, I actually don't think that has caught much salience with the population.

Edit: I suppose this is going back to your response to how are there undecided voters. I still don't really understand that even with your response. Obviously we over-rate how much the average person pays attention to politics, but at this stage it seems a stretch that anyone doesn't know the basics of what you're referring to. There is probably someone out there who think the Republicans are still strong against Russian commies, but I don't know how to account for someone that disconnected from the realities of today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

you really think the Ukraine is of greater relevance than abortion when it comes to the election ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Oh FFS, it's not like people from Ohio don't have female relatives living in anti-abortion states. They're well aware of the importance of the right to abortion nationwide. It was Ohio where that 10 year old girl was raped and had to travel for an abortion.

Health care remains a huge national problem - Obamacare did a little, not nearly enough. Housing is unaffordable in districts where there is employment. Nothing that the GOP and it's Project 2025 agenda propose solve any of that, nor are they particularly interested in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,171 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not even close to healthcare and abortion (July 5 survey)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,393 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is a concerted effort from Republicans to down play abortion because they know meddling with reproductive rights is electoral suicide.

Nah Nah Nah, sure it's grand. Sssssh.

Be Grand. Ssssssssh. States can decide. Sssshhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The fact that Manic is male, may explain the lack of concern on female choice about their own bodies. With SCOTUS now populated by questionable judges, checks and balances no longer are the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I do wonder will the supreme court end up handing the presidency to Trump for one reason or another?

I still don't understand his insistence, "Don't vote for me, I have enough votes. We have enough votes." And I don't believe he's that deluded that he "didn't mean that"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

looks like Trump took $10,000,000 from Egypt days before he became president…. Bill Barr shut down an investigation into it after intelligence agencies raised concern

https://youtu.be/I87JC3zzEFo?feature=shared

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He could actually be that egotistical that he thinks that by saying that he is portraying confidence and that people would go out and vote for him so they can say they voted for him.

If you assume it’s part of some scheme, could be to try and get his voter turnout to be skewed from his polling numbers to use that as a basis to cry foul and irregularities in the election results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I wouldn't be too concerned about Republicans making an issue out of a sexual misconduct payoff.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sounds like it would carry as much weight as arguing that he won 2020 because his rallies were so big and Biden's so small. Polls may be indicative but I've never heard that they're in any way legally binding.

Besides, Trump and Co already tried to fight the results of the 2020 election and failed because they lacked any tangible proof.

But Trump obviously would try anything and mark my words on this - whatever seeds that Trump and MAGA have managed to sow under the banner of 'election security', we're definitely going to see whatever fruit they've managed to produce in the event that it looks like Harris winning - be that partisan circuit court judges or election officials or weird laws that GOP legislatures managed to slip under the net... We could see a lot of shitt pop up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The only poll that matters is happening on November the 5th.

Absolutely brilliant. Simone Biles 'loves her black job'.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/02/simone-biles-trump-black-job

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Do not confuse my lack of concern that a national ban is likely with a lack of concern on the subject of abortion itself. I would not support such a move. Indeed, I'm not a fan of the current position of my own State, which is a concern I can vote on (i.e., per that chart above, abortion may be a notable concern of mine when in the voting booth, but it will have a greater influence on my state house representative selection than on my presidential vote) That, however, is an entirely different issue to my belief that a national abortion ban is not a likely possibility. When voters in Ohio or Kentucky are making their positions clear on the matter, I think it unlikely that their representatives, if they want to be re-elected, are going to risk their careers on such a thing. Just take a headcount of Senators. Take the positions of all the Senators not sitting for re-election and count the ones with an anti-abortion position. Assume that every anti-abortion sentatorial candidate in a competitive race this year wins their race. Are there enough people in favour of a ban to enact one? If not, the problem's not relevant at the national stage.

I would rather vote at the national level on matters on which the outcome is more practically open to alternate options, such as foreign policy. Things like abortion, gun control, school curricula… those are factors to consider in the ballot box, but at the state level where there's a reasonable effect of the vote.

Health care remains a huge national problem - Obamacare did a little, not nearly enough. Housing is unaffordable in districts where there is employment. Nothing that the GOP and it's Project 2025 agenda propose solve any of that, nor are they particularly interested in doing so.

Nor should they be under the conservative idea of state independence. US States are the size of European countries and are well capable of solving many of these problems should they wish to. They all have their own Depts of Health, Housing, etc, for our taxes to be put to use. Some states, (gasp), have started addressing issues such as health, education, etc on their own. Last week, Michigan's Whitmer just signed into law a $25bn education budget with things like free meals and community college. If the State can do that, why do people think they need to look to the Federal Government for the USDA's National School Lunch program? Obamacare was modelled after Massachussets' state-level program, MA's healthcare is ranked behind only that of Hawai'i. West Virginia's is ranked at the bottom. That's apparently not important to West Virginians or they would have fixed it.

Reportedly Trump had Barr sabotage an FBI investigation into $9.998 Million cash that was allegedly paid to Trump as he took office in 2017

https://www.mediaite.com/news/mysterious-10-million-cash-withdrawal-triggered-doj-investigation-into-whether-trump-took-egyptian-funds/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,846 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I still find it fascinating. In a weird way.

Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy him, or his influence, it's the contrary in fact. What I mean calling it fascinating is how society has evolved in the context of him (and others) over the last ten years.

There is so much objective evidence demonstrating his unsuitability for office and yet, here we are. To see how so many people are willing to ignore reality to tolerate/support/adore him, as they do is mind boggling.

Trump seems to be really really pissed that Kamala Harris is campaigning in part on the line that she is a Prosecutor and he is a Convicted Felon

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-complains-kamala-harris-calls-him-felon-court-docs-2024-8?amp&utm_source=reddit.com

Trump, through this filing, also seems to think that a Judge cannot be impartial based on their close family member’s political activities.

Hmm….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

What is he up to? Trying to get the judge to recuse himself from the hush money charge? Case closed right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There must be speculation as to whether Trump is the cause of all the nutty stuff and conspiracy theories on social media or a mere product of it. Either way, he is the perfect figurehead for all the nuttiness and the weird direction politics has gone in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

The fundi's have litrally gone into end times madness. They think all the ducks are in a row for Armageddon and everything is a sign. The Democrats are Satan's representatives and we are about to see Israel wiped from the face of the earth.

You cannot in any way underestimate the impact this demographic have on the body politic and the tone of the discourse. If you don't understand it you cannot understand why Trump is where he is.

Then there are all the other CT Qanon craziest who have clustered around him. It's national psychosis all brought on by the marginalisation of white christian families and the mega churchs who's days are numbered.

A detailed analysis of this demographic;

https://vcresearch.berkeley.edu/news/crisis-faith-christian-nationalism-and-threat-us-democracy just remember that every single one of these fanatics will turn out to vote (from the article they represent 17% of the population but 25% of the overall vote share), since their souls and the soul of the nation depends on it.

So the enemy of the left is letharge and the cure is getting more of the majority population to vote. This is why there is a definite ceiling in Trumps vote but Harris could add 10% or more if she hits the various demographics correctly.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've been listening to that, it's full name is "The Rest is Politics US". I fall asleep frequently so I miss bits, but it's a good podcast, as is the main The Rest is Politics which is about the UK and has different hosts.

Trump questioning Harris's ethnicity is taking up a lot of headlines, so much so that it's slightly obfuscating another potential headline which is that Trump didn't appear to know what D.E.I. meant, or that he possibly thought it was a word instead of an acronym. He kept asking the host for a definition, and the host would reply, 'it means diversity, equity and inclusion' and Trump would then again ask for a definition.

It just reinforces the idea that the American right wing either don't know or care what it means because that way it can mean whatever you want it to. Saying D.E.I. is a bad idea sounds a lot more palatable than saying diversity, equity and inclusion is a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I thought he was trying to get her to define the constituent parts of DEI, but now I'm not so sure. If anyone could not know the meaning of a term central to the culture war they claim to be fighting it would be Trump.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's not just Trump, although not everyone who just uses the acronym for sloganeering would be as ignorant not to know what it means, but canny enough not to use the actual words, because it's a tough proposition to be against 'diversity, equity and inclusion' in a country that historically has had an ethnically diverse population with a historical record of discrimination along ethnic lines.

Which brings me to an additional point that those who criticise Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (accepting that there can be overreach and clumsy methods of its implementation) always seem to take the conclusion that it should be scrapped. Why not suggest how it could be improved so that it better serves everyone? When it's pointed out that the philosophy has led to people from a background like Trump's current VP pick getting more opportunities, it might give the American right-wing pause for thought that he is a 'DEI hire' and turn around that term which appears to currently be used as a racial slur.

Vance is a creature of Peter Thiel. He has the potential VP of the US in his pocket.

• Advertisement

https://thefederalist.com/2021/07/24/senate-candidate-blasts-childless-left-who-have-no-physical-commitment-to-the-future-of-this-country/

"I just think back to when I was in Afghanistan: I didn't have kids, a lot of the people I served with, didn't have kids, but I can tell you every single one us of knew that our commitment to the future of this country was pretty [fcuking] physical." - Pete Buttigieg

Advertisement