Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Valorant open beta is available on Xbox and PS5 today for those interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh I swear to god they better not **** it up… and it actually gets the effort it deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

Are we talking resident evil reboot or tomb raider trilogy remaster?

Does soul reaver have the same level of love TR has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I assume it's a remaster akin to the recent TR ones, but I'd love a Resi style reboot as long as they used all the original story and dialogue/voices. I'd say us fans of SR have more love for SR than fans of TR have for TR, but we're far inferior in number. Quality, not quantity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Former EA Devs have created a new studio to make a spiritual successor to NBA Street (yaaaaaay), it's online only for now (booooooo). I've wanted a new NBA street game for years and think EA were the crowd to do it by ditching the NBA license from Live. However, this does not give good vibes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Out Thursday, early reviews have been full of praise for Thank Goodness You're Here! … delighted to hear that its comedic styling & gameplay has matched the vibes of the trailers; the first one possibly one of the best structured & edited game trailers I'd watched in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Cordell

STALKER 2 delayed

And they used the same shtick Randy used for DNF, and that's not a good sign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Of all the productions deserving some delay leeway (and most developers deserve leeway), STALKER 2 deserves it even more than most. They’ve been dealing with an actual war / invasion while trying to get the game over the line.

I have my reservations about the game given some fairly reserved previews and red flags around its production from before the whole invasion of Ukraine. But I will not for a second begrudge them any extra time they need to finish up given what the team has had to deal with over the past two years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm so old, I remember when STALKER1 was promising drivable vehicles - which for the time was kinda unheard of. I wanna say this even predated BF1942, and the closest to driving mechanics in a FPS was a wonky "train" hack in CounterStrike 1.x ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was meant to be totally open world or at least like far cry 2 with distinct areas linked by paths but yeah, it got way too ambitious and it took a money man from THQ to head over and get it over the line.

When it came out it was a buggy mess with a lot of performance issues (it used doom 3 like stencil shadows that have major issues in open areas, they had to be dropped from Halo 2).

I played through it a few years later. Performance was pretty good and a lot of the bugs were fixed and I had it modded with a graphics mod that made it quite attractive. It was still quite janky and very obvious where stuff has to be cut. But most importantly, it was one of the best games I've ever played. Just a wonderfully bleak, immersive world. Equally humourous, interesting and absolutely terrifying. Had a really satisfying sci fi story and ending that managed to keep the tone of the tarkovsky masterpiece it took its name from. Special mention must go to the gun feel and enemy AI. The enemies AI is still some of the best from any game and while the early weapons are a bit weak, once you get a rifle the tables start to turn.

Really hoping stalker 2 is good but it's a very different team making this one and the flirting with NFTs is worrying. Still I'm holding out hope it's good especially considering what Russia is doing to the country most of these developers are from.

I'm not begrudging them for the delay, I've been waiting 14 years I can deal with a couple of months more. I'm just worried it's not going to be what it needs to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very grim news from Sony-owned Bungie that they're laying off nearly a fifth of their workforce in one go - 220 more people without jobs. That's the bleak headline, but over 150 other jobs seem to be transferring over to Sony, and an unannounced project being spun off to a new studio.

What a depressing industry this is, especially since this follows what appears to have been a successful and well-regarded Destiny expansion. The inevitable talent drain from the industry over the last two years is something we'll never be able to fully comprehend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bungie letting 17% of their staff go.

Looking through the responses to the news and there's definitely a sense of growing anger at Bungie CEO Pete Parsons for what's happening at the studio.

Some staff also venting their frustrations publicly:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No surprise there, when the last round of layoffs occurred last year Pete Parsons was asked if reducing C Suite compensation was considered to save the jobs and he responded that Bungie aren't that type of company.

You can't track talent and experience in an excel tracker.

Lots of details also emerging - including from former employees - about Parsons' spending habits, including building a $2 million vintage car collection and allegedly bragging to employees (some of whom were laid off shortly after) about it.

While no doubt many smaller studios are feeling a genuine financial crunch at the moment, the sickening thing is that many wealthy executives of these bigger studios are still extremely wealthy and rarely have to answer for their mismanagement.

https://www.eurogamer.net/bungie-ceo-criticised-for-spending-millions-on-classic-cars-as-calls-for-leadership-changes-escalate

• Advertisement

In lighter news it seems that because of the talk about a Skibidi Toilet movie, Michael Bay's production company have sent Gary's Mod multiple cease and desist letters. If you ever think execs and corporate lawyers are better than you then all of this is a reminder that the only difference between you and them is coke fuelled over confidence.

Kind of hoping Valve get a cease and desist and with their infinite money they stroll into the argument and remind them that Skibidi toilet is built on their assets.

I hate how often I've read or heard the word "Skibidi" the last few weeks, with or without the '-toilet' suffix.

I had wondered when pop culture might finally, irreversibly become alien and total nonsense in my eyes. That skibidi Michael Bay news may be that Rubicon

It really is the most Skibidi of news.

Sigma.

I think all these new terms are rad

….NOT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

There's an article on Game File categorizing the abject failure of Bungie management, it's unfortunately behind a paywall.

Jason Schreier has also stated he'll have an article about it later today.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

I think there's some nuance to the Bungie situation that's different to the other two since the deal was that Sony held a financial stake but the studio remained independent and many of those who've lost their jobs have made it clear that 100% of the responsibility falls on Parsons and not on Sony. It also appears that Sony have created roles in their other studios to accommodate the transfer of around 150 people from Bungie who would otherwise have presumably been laid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Game Informer is shutting down (Everyone laid off - Many weren't even aware)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aw that sucks, i still have Game Informer mags in my attic i got as a kid..

Advertisement