Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you hate people saying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

‘ any petrol or diesel?’ As I stand in my local petrol station with a bike helmet on my head and my usual carton of milk purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Petrol head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Smallies😡😡😡

As the fella/man says…

In the main it's a simple reminder to those who have forgot about the fuel while getting the coffee and chatting,whatever . It happens i've done it once

Then there would presumably be a few who might be chancing it but the question may spook them into paying

If any of the above drive off without paying, it can be said to them later that we asked had you any fuel, thereby exposing their dishonesty

It could also be a factor if it went to court

The question might arise , were u asked did u get fuel or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭crybaby

• "It’s always been done this way." - ugh, this dismisses innovation and improvement.

true but this is my local shop/petrol station where I park my bicycle against the door. I’ve a bicycle helmet on me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe you had a canister for your lawnmower? You can never be too careful. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah well , they ask everybody the question

Bicycle or no. That's the system.

Accept it for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭waynescales1

"In good faith", can't stand that phrase. Just say "sincere".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭brokenbad

GAA supporters yelling "Hon (Insert county or club here)"

Good faith is a legal term, e.g. Companies Act 2014.

(1) A director of a company shall—

(a) act in good faith in what the director considers to be the interests of the company;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭StormForce13

"We'll be back tomorrow at the same time" - RTE 1 newsreaders - every fukcing night.

Listen, you crowd of utter morons, we KNOW that you'll be back tomorrow at the same bloody time. That's why the programme that you present is called the RTE 6 One News! 🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They ask me that when I'm standing at the counter in my full cycle gear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Your comment reeks of post #1716

If I worked there I wouldn't ask someone who obviously cycled or walked.

It's like supermarket staff who ask everybody for ID when buying alcohol - even those people who are aged 50+

Whereas they tend not to do that in standalone off licences.

Duno what 1716 reeks off posts are not numbered for me

Anyway it's simpler and safer for the management to have a policy that everyone gets asked

Some will forget the fuel by the time they get finished talking and ordering the coffee and rolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Post 1716 says "It’s always been done this way." - ugh, this dismisses innovation and improvement.

________________________________________________________________________________

Your statement "That's the system" reminds me of people in workplace saying "It's always been done this way" to those who suggest changes or improvements.

Ys ok I c

The only safe and simple way is ask every customer if they got fuel

This isn't something complex that evolves and improves it's a simple question so I don't see the relevance

• Advertisement

thank you. Someone with common sense and initiative. Also the fact the staff often have commented how bad a night to be cycling they recognise I’m on a bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"Insert celebrity name" is a national treasure.

Usuallly found in Tik Tok or You Tube comments and usually by British people about British people.

Drives me crazy as if they really know what the person is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Its a sort of lazy " come on" and I agree it's cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Similarly "because of tradition"

e.g. let's have our expensively paid politicians waste their very limited Dail time by saying prayers every sodding day "because of tradition"

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭McSween

the overuse of the words narcissist and sociopath in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

"Babymama" - I get strangley when I hear that absolutely rot!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

People saying they or someone else is "living their best life". Does my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Someone describing someone they obviously consider as old (for a particular context) as "x years young".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'the situation was exasperated by' - using exasperated when you mean exacerbated.

Losing the 'ed' on so many words - 'the book was edit by'…its EDITED. 'We couldn't get a taxi so we walk home' you WALKED home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I also am aghast at the ‘team Ireland’ bollocksology.

“The Irish team is made up of 134 athletes who will compete….” Whats wrong with that ?
    Looking at the Irish teams Olympic website… “Team Ireland” is plastered everywhere. Where it’s not needed or required. Also they must have briefed the media that that’s what they want everyone to refer to them as… a bit tyrannical. A special flag saying ‘team Ireland’

Team Ireland shop, Team Ireland house, Team Ireland centenary… all given space

https://olympics.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Probably was underused in prior years, now that little device in their pocket is bringing it to a wider audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Exacerbate vs. Exasperate

Exacerbate is frequently confused with exasperate, and with good reason. Not only do these words resemble one another in spelling and pronunciation, they also at one time held exceedingly similar meanings. Exasperate is today most commonly used as a synonym of annoy, but for several hundred years it also had the meanings “to make more grievous” and “to make harsh or harsher.” Exacerbate is now the more common choice of these two words when one seeks to indicate that something is becoming increasingly bitter, violent, or unpleasant. It comes in part from the Latin word acer, meaning “sharp,” whereas exasperate is from asper, the Latin word for “rough.”

ex·as·per·ate

1. To make very angry or impatient; annoy greatly. 2. To increase the gravity or intensity of: "a scene . that exasperates his rose fever and makes him sneeze" (Samuel Beckett).

exacerbate

1. to make (pain, disease, emotion, etc) more intense; aggravate.

2. to exasperate or irritate (a person)[C17: from Latin exacerbāre to irritate, from acerbus bitter]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

"He is such a quiet lad" when they find out one of the neighbours has been beating the **** out of his Mrs and or kids for years and finally got caught. No, Jimmy from the pub the prick isn't a quiet lad it's just nobody heard or didn't care what he was up to.

Good post! And good points, however in current usage I think the people saying exasperate do actually mean the current sense of exacerbate.

And if they keep saying it, then dictionaries will start listing it.

And that is the whole problem. Its all very well language growing and developing, but these kinds of words are being intoduced into, for example, legal documents and official pronouncements and can change the whole meaning. Language has to be able to be reliably understood to be of use beyond grunting at each other!

It's not a problem. If the spelling or definition of a word changes, then dictionaries will show that. Self appointed guardians of what is correct for centuries have been trying to freeze the language in the form existing in their lifetimes. They never succeeded in the past, and they will won't succeed in the future. If they had their way, then the word Nice would still mean what it meant 600 years ago.

nice (adj.)

late 13c., "foolish, ignorant, frivolous, senseless," from Old French nice (12c.) "careless, clumsy; weak; poor, needy; simple, stupid, silly, foolish," from Latin nescius "ignorant, unaware," literally "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (from PIE root *ne- "not") + stem of scire "to know" (see science). "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] — from "timid, faint-hearted" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c. 1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830).

I just wrote a long reply then decided it was OT for this forum, so cancelled it. Essentially I was saying that a word changing meaning over a 600 year period, and words changing meaning every day as people on the internet interpret them as they choose or mistakenly understand them, are not quite the same thing.

• Advertisement

The affected / effected mix-up is now so common that it's frequently seen in the Irish Times. 😡

Scrap the cap!

Do you remember in the 80s when they ordered tracksuits with "OYLIMPIC" on the back? 🤣

Scrap the cap!

And accept and except. It is perfectly possible to put in, say, a legal letter or document that 'this clause shall be excepted' which, if you don't understand the difference you could think means 'this clause is not included', or 'this clause is acceptable', two exact opposites. But no, it doesn't matter so long as people can write whatever they want on X without being criticised.

Anyway I think we are a bit off topic here, probably more suited to the moribund English forum. 🙂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭L Grey

When people pronounce the word 'because' as 'becuz'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

You guys…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Now Mr Deregos, just relax your knees, keep bent over and try and stop all this nervous clenching.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭waynescales1

When talking about trying to solve a problem, can we… "square the circle"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Thinking outside the box", when they don't even know the meaning of the phrase…

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Charlo30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Some genuine corporate nonsense from a meeting this morning.

"Okay, so I'll take ownership of this going forward. I'll reach out to xxxxx and bring the state of play to the table tomorrow."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

"Aligned" is a favourite in my place. I've just finished a Teams call, and at the end, one of the engineers was delighted that we're all aligned. 🙄

• Advertisement
Advertisement