Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It would be rare they release a player early that isn't riddled with injuries.

Niall Comerford I believe was released after 2 years but he was unique.

I'm not convinced King will make it at the highest level. But Cooney spent most of the year injured. Deserves to see what he can do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Usanov

Smith

Smith

Sparrow

Spicer

Coffey

McLaughlin

Casper Gabriel

There you all go 👍

Panic over

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thanks , is ther a reason why leinster are so secretive in comparison to the other provines, hardly anything on website about mens team, who I believe are already back pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster v Munster in October will be in Croke Park as rumoured/sort of expected.

That should be really well attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭50HX

Price it correctly & it could go 60k, otherwise 50k would be a super crowd imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think it has a good chance of selling out or at least coming close. There were nearly 50k in the Aviva last year for the Munster game plus they sold out Croke Park for Northampton on relatively short notice. A once-off game in Croke Park between Leinster and Munster would be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Welcome Rabah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DelMcG

Two things that will be needed to sell it out: it'll need to be priced favourably (especially family packs and kids tickets) and it'll need to be well marketed, specifically that they should be pushing it as a match that'll see the return of a significant number of international players.

Mid October is usually when we see them brought back into the fold so this is the game both sides should be earmarking as a return to close to full strength (SH internationals notwithstanding)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 thePigeon_

Considering the final game of the EI tour is 3 days before this, having the internationals back could be a necessity - in some positions at least. Leinster could realistically lose a player (if not 2) in most positions.

LH: Boyle / Milne / McCarthy
    Hooker: Barron / Mckee / McCarthy
    TH: Clarkson
    BR: Culhane / Soroka
    SH: Gunne / Foley
    FH: Prendergast / Tector / Byrne?
    Centre: Brownlee
    Back 3: TOB / Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DelMcG

I have to admit, I'd completely forgotten about the EI tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

10 jersey next year should be for Frawiey and Prendo. The Byrne's have had enough chances.

The 10 jersey should be for whoever is performing the best. Competition lights a fire under people.

I absolutely agree Prendergast should be given every logical opportunity though because currently his floor is mid URC level and we have no idea where his ceiling is. But I can't wait to find out. Chuck him in the pool and see if he swims.

Frawley is a funnier case. His brilliant showings in the Champions Cup and against SA to me currently point to a player that is primed and perfect for an impact bench player position. His versatility is probably what has him above his peers.

He's clearly not the finished product at 10 and the only way he gets there is game time. Up to and including now in his career, I personally have never seen him as a pure 10. More of a really well rounded player who can play 10 to an excellent standard. As a result, I'm not really sure what you do with him.

I don't agree that Harry has had enough chances. He's a player whose had a problematic injury profile. This past season saw his most consistent run of fitness that we've seen in recent year and it unsurprisingly was his strongest season in Leinster culminating in deserved Ireland caps.

He then really seemed to blot his copy book with the coaches towards the end of the season particularly with the South Africa trip.

Harry is maddening because he's still prone to at least one high profile and basic error per game. But Harry performing to his potential is a bloody good player. So I hope to see that more.

We're at a real cross roads with scrumhalf this season.

To be fair I had this exact question last season and nothing transpired.

The elephant in the room is Luke McGrath.

His passing ability has been documented for years but last season saw arguably the biggest regression of that skill. Simply put - it has cost us at crucial times in games.

I had hoped Foley would have leapfrogged him early last season but it seems any time he seems ready to take that chance he get's injured. Unsure if that is going to change.

Gunne was the most accomplished underage 9 Leinster have seen in a decade. He looks to have taken to senior rugby about as well as those with reasonable expectations would have expected. I do think he's ready to be backed. Give him every opportunity possible this season.

Even seeing past Lukes ability, himself and JGP will be 32 and 33 respectively at the end of this season. We need to see a proper contingency plan for these players as they age out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For me the issue with McGrath last season was that he was backed early on and come end of season when he was clearly not good enough they weren't willing to shift to foley for the big games. Understandably really.

Foley or Gunne need to be backed from the get go and on the bench in the interpros and Europeans. Very interesting times ahead for half backs in general at leinster and I am not 100% confident they'll handle it well.

Agree with every part of this, particularly the bit on Frawley. Going to be very interesting to see where the minutes end up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's how I saw it. Gunne was very young this time last year in fairness and was Foley injured or just not picked?

In any case, they ended up with Mcgrath as the only one with a decent body of work by the end of the season.

I would have supported the decision to back Foley over Mcgrath for the big games at the end, but leinster is pretty conservative in selection these days, so it wasn't likely. I thought Foley showed a good standard of play. Being less experienced he's more likely to make a poor decision, but his general standard of play was higher that mcgrath

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I largely but not completely agree. I think there is always going to be an argument that Ross Byrne is performing the best, I would trust him tomorrow over Prendergast or Frawley in most games to be honest. But he's also simply not good enough at the top end and we need to force the issue somewhat to get the other options up there.

I partly agree on Harry, but the Leinster management clearly don't given how he was dropped like a stone when Ross returned. You can only control how you react to that kind of situation and he does not seem to have reacted well at all. I would not be surprised if he is out the door before the end of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Barring injury I can see JGP maintaining a very high standard of play well into his late 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Leinster are always good at pricing, super 5 euro days etc

It normally when Europe get involved they screw the fans

When was Frawley brillant showing in Europe? he started the Stade game and didn't have a great game. Predergast was better wen he came on IMO

I can remember a few games he was good but can't remember a brillant game from him. The first La Rochelle game both him and Harry had good games but not brillant. Maybve he did and I just cant remember

The best performance last year at 10 in Europe was Ross v La Rochelle, that was our biggest issue, our best performance wasn't in the final

Harry over the season was probably our most consistent and Predergast got more minutes than I expected and looked accomplished.

That's 4 players into 1 spot and with the 6-2 bench looking to continue I can only see Frawley been used more as the sub role because he can cover so many positions.

It's probably the last season for one of the Byrnes to be honest, if not one of them then Frawley will need to move on if he wants to continue at 10

We definitely need to force the issue with Prendergast and Frawley. Fair enough it was a disjointed season for Ross, but it's hard to identify how he was our best performing 10 this year other than having the best single performance. For me he's really benefitted from being the incumbent and his stint injured did that no harm either.

I don't want to sh!t on him because of everything he's given, but if you go through his entire season there's very little there to say he should be first choice going forward.

He had less than 2 hours of rugby before a long injury layoff. On his return, in the 4 URC games leading up to European knockouts, he was the second best 10 on the day in 3 of them and the 4th was Zebre:

- There was a noticeable improvement when Prendergast replaced him against Benetton.
    - He was completely outplayed by De Beer against Cardiff.
    - Harry had probably his best game of the season until he was replaced by Ross against the Bulls.

We then had hat trick hero JGP running the show against Leicester, Ross' best display against La Rochelle, his worst against Northampton, meh in the CC final, a good performance in the URC quarter against an Ulster team we beat without much fuss, followed by meh again in the URC semi. Season over.

If we give Ross the reigns again I'd back him to have a better season next time, he's that type of player, but I feel it would ultimately come to a halt at the same stage. We need to give every opportunity at the start of the season to the guys who can break the glass ceiling at the end of it.

I was all for easing SP into pro rugby last season, but I think we're past that stage now. I really feel that if he's just given a few starts in a row this debate will be over pretty quickly. I wouldn't be expecting perfect performances, but I think we'd see more than enough to warrant keeping him in the jersey. Frawley's also done enough to deserve a proper crack at it, which I'd be very happy to see, but my gut says that that the super-sub / versatility role will end up being what actually suits him best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭50HX

Correct ye got the northampton pricing spot on, hopefully this will be the same

That was Europe doing the pricing but Leo spent weeks asking them not to screw fans and it worked….the year before an entry ticket in Aviva in semi was the same price as corporate in France for other semi

As alluded to in my post - Frawleys brilliant performances came off the bench in Europe… The point I'm making is I'm unsure of Frawleys status as a 10 or at least a starting 10.

La Rochelle away he came on in miserable conditions, steered the ship, played the game in good areas and impressively, hit a 60m kick to end the game.

Similarly, in the final he came on and instantly improved the pace and shape of the backline. He added a different aspect that Ross had failed to bring thus far. Hit a pressure kick to level the game at 78 minutes to put us into extra time. Sure he missed the dropper but he still went for it. Undoubtedly an improved showing than what Byrne had offered that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, tend to agree that Frawley has shown a high level capacity to make big decisions and execute well under extreme pressure. He's also showed some flashes of real creativity at ten. He's not Beauden Barrett but he might be Johnny Sexton: solid skills, quick, brave, excellent kicking and very good judgement. His judgement is still largely unproven but we haven't seen much of him is those situations. What we have seen is grounds for confidence. People let his capabilities at 12, 15 and 23 get in the way of the fact that he has done plenty right at ten.

Really brillant? I would say good but wouldn't say brillant.

La Rochelle he played well, but was he better than Harry? don't think so. So both in the good to very good rating

In the final he came on, Leinster got battered when he was at 10 and lost the game. When he came on, he slotted over a kick to level the game. So Leinster lost when he was playing, Byrne if fit would have slotted that kick so left the pitch with the game level. I am not down marking him for the drop goal at all.

But people are blaming Ross for the final when he was off the pitch when the game was lost.
    So again I wouldn't claim Frawley was brillant.

The big impact match fro Frawley came for Ireland in South Africa, now that was brillant display with the kicks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭conquestscarer

Byrne can't run with the ball. It's an opportunity cost of him playing, Northampton gave the blueprint of how to play against him and I'm not sure he has had a good game since.

Whatever deficit Frawley has with game management etc, he always has the first option of an outhalf has when he catches the ball(running with the ball) Byrne doesn't.

• Advertisement

yes that is an issue for Byrne, but plenty of other 10s in the World can't run with it.

Northampton for battered for the majority of that game only Leinster didn't put a big enough score on them. They had a come back and got close but really the game should have been over soon after half time. Byrne didn't have a good game but saying Northampton gave a blueprint?

Byrne had a poor day kicking, which to be fair I think someone on a podcast called that Croker can be a nightmare to kick in compared to Aviva/RDS, when he hasn't a good day off tee it magnifies the running issue he has

Advertisement