Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options
1101610171018101910201022»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He is not within several parsecs of being Johnny Sexton. It's not even a good comparator on style.

Frawley's judgement and organising of the backline I would rate quite poorly to be honest. He takes the ball on himself far too often and frequently doesn't pick the right plays. However, it works well when he comes on to attack defences off the subs bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭conquestscarer

They slid off him every time he had the ball reduced the chance of us having an overlap.

Look at these stats, the next worst at carries per 80, outhalf carries the ball 50% more than Byrne does(Libbok at 6 to 4), and other limited outhalfs like Pollard carry the ball twice as many times a game as Byrne does.

It needs to be acknowledged that he is the worst ball carrying 10 in club rugby at the moment and that is a serious limitation. If it was even at the 30th percentile I don't think this would be a problem.

https://x.com/HuwGriffinRugby/status/1796091866661699612?t=b7JzFQo8imOxvUTCRm94JQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Are you willingly disregarding my point that I'm referring to Frawley? Or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

My initial point on Frawley is as a 10 option at the moment, recent history suggests he is more suited to a bench option.

His recent accolades at 10 point to a player who can perform under pressure and change the pace of a game.

I say this in adding to the discussion that people want to see him more at 10. That would be great but I haven't seen enough consistently that he's a starter.

In pointing to you saying he was "good" other than "brilliant". Fine. Have those semantics if you want. I feel like you're arguing with someone who has the same point of view as you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I honestly don’t think we learned much about any of them last season. Too much chopping and changing in selection, too much inconsistency from the players, very few standout performances.

Hopefully we see one of them stake a real claim this season, whoever it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭ersatz

Unfair to compare him to much beyond Sexton's first few appearances off the bench, and in that regard he compares favourably. Sexton shot the lights out in the second half against Northampton and his legend was born but his performances for Ireland initially were better than fading ROG with very few mistakes and good decisions but he was not BB or Maradonna. His reputation is around consistency and the incredible decision maker he became, but hind sighting that back onto is earliest appearances is unfair to any other new comer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Opps manager leaving after 20 odd years for anyone interested lads.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/governance/staff-careers/job-opportunities/

Advertisement