Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,920 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭SodiumCooled

In the company I work for anyway it has nothing to do with performance of that I am certain. Some of the most productive and successful times for the company (worldwide) have been during the period with a lot of hybrid/remote working (we also still retain contractually protected remote workers many of whom are management themselves). If anything the policy has hit productivity as many are "working to rule" so to speak out of annoyance with the policy - leaving on the dot of finish time, taking holidays when it suits rather than working around deadlines etc.

Yes and no, the mandates do come from the top, In our case I feel its similar to the other poster and its the CEO or certainly the very top rung of the company (though it was communicated as a board decision or something like that). Plenty of senior level managers have been forced back to the office also who were working hybrid for years and some have left so its hitting pretty much all levels.

That being said managers do have a say to a degree in that they can choose to turn a blind eye to things. My manager was/is currently doing this in my case but there is such a push on now that they are sort of asking me to be in everyday for now until things die down at least. I was also allowing people who report to me do a day or two from home but they are more junior staff and are less willing to rock the boat so have been coming in even though I wasn't pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,920 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ideally it would be done by your manager, but that probably wouldn't be fair.

Everyone I work with is outside of Ireland, so I am forced into the office one day a week to do what I do at home.

The only differences are it costs me money and I get less work done.

My manager thinks I have no need to go in with how I currently work, if I end up moving to a new team with people in the office then fair enough, I can see why one or two days a week would be reasonable then, although I feel perform better from home anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Everyone one has a boss and the optics of one team doing one thing and another doing something else won't last long.

It'll be flagged and the manager pulled on it.

I work for a large MNFC with a small team under me. But I really can't see how the politics of it would differ much regardless of the company size/makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Different teams might have completely different roles, one might staffing a retail unit, another a support operation requiring 24/7 cover.

• Advertisement

I get the work to rule aspect. If flexibility given isn't reciprocated, then you find you've burnt that bridge when you need it again.

But it's irrelevant for the discussion. If it's company policy your line manager doesn't get a say. They tow the line and if they don't they leave themselves open to reprimand.

Our managers have veto on quite a few aspects of remote working. There's been different arrangements on different teams even before lockdown.

Its been the same almost everywhere I've worked my entire life. Because the hr policies have always had that wriggle room.

One I remember before lockdown was one team having remote working and another not. Or remote with Flexi time or remote with no Flexi time. All sorts of local arrangements. Same now some teams have different days in the office, and some even have different anchor days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We get it, management are always right and the employee is always wrong 🙄

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

But for the purpose of this thread which is discussing post covid wfh/rto setups.

Most companies have mandated a set amount of days in office. Local nuances not with standing.

This policy is being set from the very top of the food chain. Middle managers, Directors/MDs are not setting this policy.

Its set by the board and the rest of the ponzi scheme have to adhere to it.

• Advertisement

The comment I replied to was....

" No "manager" that you interact with during your workday gets a say in whether you can work remotely or not.."

I'm simply saying that's not true anywhere I've worked. They might not have created the policy, but they certainly have veto on it for their team(s).

I've never worked anywhere that local managers can veto company policy.

They can fail to follow policy much like you can fail/ignore anything you want to in work/life.

But you're putting yourself in a position to be reprimanded/fired/arrested if caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yes, please outline some of these less quantifiable factors for us…

(We already know about the one where a company has a 20-year lease on expensive prime retail estate offices and it looks bad to shareholders when those offices are mostly empty, so any other ones apart from that…)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Arrested, because you said Bob needn't commute to Dublin for Tullamore three days a week?

Right…

Why would you have a company policy that could be veto'd?

Or do you mean the policy in your place is local management decide?

For post covid wfh/rto mandates I don't know of any company leaving the decision to local management.

Altho both my own career and friends group is heavily skewed towards big financial/accounting firms.

Its gives more flexibility if it's required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Thats exactly how it is in my company. Managers and directors could not care less so long as the work gets done. In my place, this directive came from the CTO. Which one could argue should not be in his remit to begin with, but thats how it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Am I the only one seeing the hypocrisy and irony in Musk whining about the below when he and his ilk have no concern for work/life/family balance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He's a birther, as far as he's concerned women should be too busy having as many children as possible to bother working. And work-life balance is generally of little concern to male birthers as they have zero interest in actually raising their many children, so why would they need it?

In a trend that is almost global at this stage, people are settling down later because its getting more and more difficult to afford a home. So they are having less kids and having them later in life. It's not surprising that one of the richest men in the world does not have those concerns, and didn't think about that.

Not defending him, I think he's a pr1ck, just saying little details like that are not on his radar.

But my point is that massive employers like him can't jump up and down with concern when they actively contribute to the problem. He is also never challenged on this whenever talking to the media.

Cost is a major factor for people having children but a lot of that can be offset with flexible working arrangements.

Again, one of the richest men in the world he can do anything he likes and has no concern for plebs like you and me.

I really wouldn't put too much stock in what he's saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Interesting precedent set here that shows that the new legislation doesn't really count for much at all and employers still get to call the shots

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mirafiori

It was always clear that the legislation only required companies to fully consider the request. It struck me at the time as a way of the Government appearing to make provision for what would be a popular option for many workers, but deliberately stopping short of really doing so. To be clear, I don't believe the Government could have imposed a WFH right for workers - there are so many situations where it is impossible and impractical. I just think they could have skipped giving a misleading impression of the lie of the land.

The legislation was always completely pointless. Greatest waste of tax payers money coming up with both versions of the legislation.

Can anyone explain what exact benefits it brings to workers? Employers can still refuse for any number if reasons without providing evidence.

The legislation basically "gives you the right to ask" and nothing more. The updated legislation added more bells and whistles which in practice add nothing. Employers can basically say no and give any vague reason for it. TikTok also claim productivity is higher in the office. This is demonstrably false but doesn't stop them from saying it uncontested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Employers should be allowed to say no, the government has no place dictating where people should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bear in mind there are fewer managers than employees.

That will shroud the consensus on a thread like this.

The work is not as good as it was pre COVID is my experience. As a manager, I find you have fewer tools to address this and end up having to do more work.

• Advertisement

I disagree. The greater good for society should always be taken into account (environmental, societal, equality, etc). There are plenty of work places legal rules in place that have improved people's lives that would have been fought against by employers over the years and guess what? Corporate profits are higher than ever so it's done them no harm.

If a job can be done just as good remotely then for the greater good employers should be forced to accept this new way if life. They have no issue working between geographically remote teams when it suits them.

Edit: Just to add. In my place if work they want everyone in the office full time despite the fact that the team is spread across 4 different countries, so instead of saving people hours of commute you are expected to come into the office to then hold meetings at your desk over MS Teams that you could do the exact same at home. Return to office mandates serve two purposes.

1. Companies basically want to reduce the work force without redundancy.
    2. Weak managers can't handle the fact that they are becoming obsolete so make up bullshit about innovation in person or productivity.

Advertisement