Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭volchitsa

By "met all the criteria" you mean they checked her passport, right? But if sex is only assigned at birth based on a best guess, surely that is no test at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Anyone spouting that nonsense to a boxer is beneath contempt. There are two human beings here - this sort of bile is wrong.

Any fault if it exists, from everything I've seen, is with the governing bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Agreed, the fault is on the IOC, but if it were me I'd do a quick test myself and publish it if I'm the boxer in question, simple test and everyone can move on, but this hasnt happened, I wonder why I man has not done the test?

It's probably a better test than the speculation and hearsay that most people seem to have used to draw a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭reclose

This is definitely an unusual case. The boxer isn’t transgender.
    I don’t agree with former males being allowed to compete with females in sport.
    I guess we would need to know the science behind this one.
    its very unfortunate for the boxer as this is just the way they were born.

• Advertisement

Khelif's own team are doing it (among others). Doesn't sound like they're interested in calming things down, does it?

For anyone who's interested, there's a very clear and thorough summary of the main issues here:

For those allergic to clicking, here is the main post:

1. "L & K are just women with high testosterone!"Khelif and Lin were never tested for their testosterone levels. The claims that they were disqualified from the 2023 Women's World Boxing Championship due to simple testosterone abnormalities were made by their respective national sporting bodies, who, obviously, have some motivation to lie here.

2. "L & K have female ID!"Khelif and Lin are not believed to be transgender, and @ReduxxMag made that VERY clear in our July 28 article.They are believed to be impacted by a Difference of Sexual Development, in which there is a developmental abnormality in secondary sex characteristics. This is a medical condition which can manifest with children being born with ambiguous or disfigured genitalia. Male children impacted by DSDs are often "assigned female at birth" due to these genital defects, as there is a genuine assumption they are girls.Thus, their identification documents would be completely irrelevant in this case. As is the fact they were "raised as girls." That's entirely expected for male children with DSDs.Even more so for male children with DSDs in socially conservative countries.Is a boy without a penis more likely to be raised as a boy or a girl? Exactly.

3. "The IBA never said they had XY chromosomes!"On March 25, 2023, IBA President Umar Kremlev said that the boxers disqualified at the championships had XY chromosomes. He said this in a statement to TASS News.There were only two boxers disqualified at the championships: Lin and Khelif.

4. "But Kremlev could be lying!"Over the last 72 hours, the IBA has released two separate statements confirming that Khelif and Lin were not subject to testosterone testing, but had instead been subjected to a separate test validated by two independent laboratories.That test confirmed they were not eligible to compete in women's boxing as per the IBA guidelines.Crucially, the IBA defines "woman" as "an individual with XX chromosomes." In their guidelines, they also indicate that the gender tests they use to determine if a person is eligible to compete with women is a chromosomal test, not a hormone test.In their second statement, the IBA condemned the IOC for allowing Khelif and Lin to proceed as they believed it was putting female boxers at risk and that they did not support "boxing between the genders."

5. "Why doesn't the IBA release the test!"They cannot. It is protected medical information. They would be sued.Khelif and Lin, however, can agree to have the laboratories release those tests themselves... Why haven't they?

6. "The IBA didn't let L & K appeal their disqualification!"Yes they did. They have no choice in the matter. The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) is a fully independent tribunal which oversees all disputes in elite athletics. Every athlete has a right to bring a case to the CAS.Lin did not challenge the disqualification.Khelif challenged the disqualification but withdrew the appeal before it could proceed through the court.Please ask yourself why. If they were genuinely female, why would they have chosen to refuse their opportunity to establish that in an irrefutable and legally binding way at a fully independent venue? Literally none of this would have happened had they simply submitted their tests to the CAS.Buuuut... Consider that all decisions at the CAS are public information. It was through a CAS challenge that the world became aware that Caster Semenya had XY chromosomes, for example.If Khelif and Lin had proceeded through the CAS, there would have been irrefutable evidence, documented by an independent body, that they were either male or female.So why? Why did they not want the CAS to examine their tests? Why did they not want this information to be public? I think the reason is obvious.

7. "But the IOC approved their eligibility for 2024!"The IOC stopped sex testing athletes in 1999. Since then, they have deferred to individual sporting bodies to ensure athletes were eligible.HOWEVER, for the purposes of the 2024 Paris Olympics, there is no formal oversight body for boxing. This is the first time this ever happened.As a result, the IOC created an ad-hoc boxing unit to temporarily oversee the boxing competitions in Paris. This unit has no guidelines for gender eligibility, and has apparently just been allowing boxers to compete "as females" if they have female gender markers on their passports/legal documents.

8. "The IBA is corrupt and cannot be trusted!"The IOC has long had an issue with the IBA because the IBA has refused to disqualify Russian athletes on the basis of their national identity.Claims of the IBA's "corruption" can basically be summarized to "Russia bad, Russians evil." The IBA has literally no history of bullshitting about the sex of boxers involved and it doesn't benefit them in any kind of way to do so.

9. "The IBA only disqualified L & K because they beat Russian boxers at the 2023 championships!"No they did not. I started seeing this weird, completely false claim circulating over the last 24 hours.Khelif beat Thailand's Janjaem Suwannapheng and was set to compete against China's Yang Liu for gold in the Welterweight category.Lin beat Bulgaria's Svetlana Kamenova Staneva for bronze in the Featherweight category.They were scheduled to fight no Russian boxers in either one of their categories, and only one Russian boxer won a gold medal in the entire championship (Anastasiia Demurchian, Light Middleweight).India won the most gold medals (4) at the 2023 Women's Championship. China won the most medals overall (7). Kazakhstan won the second most medals overall (6). Russia only won 3 medals at the championship.Also worth noting that another Taiwanese boxer, Huang Hsiao-wen, won gold in the Bantamweight category. So for all the Taiwanese mouthpieces claiming Lin's disqualification was just "discrimination against Taiwan"... lol no.

10. "L & K were only singled out because they don't look feminine!"This idea that Lin and Khelif were singled out for not meeting some "western feminine beauty standard" is atrocious and quite easily refutable when you look at literally any of their competitors, most of whom do not meet that arbitrary standard themselves because boxing is a physically demanding sport for robust people, male or female.Below is Khadija El-Mardi of Morocco, for example, who likely would be accused of failing to meet this supposed "western feminine beauty standard." El-Mardi won gold in the Heavyweight category at the 2023 World Championships. She is advancing to the quarter-finals in Paris as we speak. She's one of the best female boxers out there.She is a woman. Her features and tall stature literally do not matter. She is biologically female. Sex testing would return an XX.Women are adult human females. This is true regardless of their external appearance.Likewise, men are adult human males. This is true regardless of abnormalities or defects in their secondary sex characteristics.

(The photo in the link is of Khadija El Mardi.)

At this stage, my query is this:

Had they just proceeded at the CAS, they would have not only had a definitive record that they were female but they likely could have had a settlement of some kind as compensation for their denial of opportunity. Not a single sympathizer can explain why they didn’t do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Sounds like the IOC criteria is well dodgy if all that can go on is what it says in your passport or birth cert, for as we know nowadays, those documents can be changed at will, one day a man the next a woman. In this case however it seems like the Algerian boxer has a DSD with an underlying male physiology coupled with male testosterone (unproven) at this moment in time. Possibly assigned observed to be female at birth?

We await the FACTS …

And there are some good questions in there. The problem is that the journo is heavily inferring what the answers are on the basis of assumption.

On the flip side of the argument, the IOC have said that "These two athletes were the victims of a sudden and arbitrary decision by the IBA. Towards the end of the IBA World Championships in 2023, they were suddenly disqualified without any due process" and "According to the IBA minutes available on their website, this decision was initially taken solely by the IBA Secretary General and CEO."

The full statement is at Joint Paris 2024 Boxing Unit/IOC Statement (olympics.com).

While there may be some merit in saying that the results of the tests are private medical information, RTE reported earlier that they questioned the IBA on the testing procedure and the IBA said "the decision to disqualify both boxers "was made following a comprehensive review and was intended to uphold the fairness and integrity of the competition."

When asked to provide details of this 'comprehensive review,' the IBA said it had "no further comments" to make." (see Explained: The gender controversy miring women's Olympic boxing (rte.ie)).

So this is far from clear cut.

The IBA can't give too much detail about what is private medical information belonging to the athletes concerned.

The two people could clear this up in 5 minutes if they wished to though, because unlike the IBA, they can release it.

It seems that they don't want to. Which is telling.

In fact it's even starker than that: they didn't challenge the test results, making them binding. Why not? I think the fact that the decision of the appeals court would have been public (and thus would have lifted any doubt about their real sex) is the only plausible explanation.

From the link above:

Khelif challenged the disqualification but withdrew the appeal before it could proceed through the court. Please ask yourself why. If they were genuinely female, why would they have chosen to refuse their opportunity to establish that in an irrefutable and legally binding way at a fully independent venue? Literally none of this would have happened had they simply submitted their tests to the CAS.Buuuut... Consider that all decisions at the CAS are public information. It was through a CAS challenge that the world became aware that Caster Semenya had XY chromosomes, for example.If Khelif and Lin had proceeded through the CAS, there would have been irrefutable evidence, documented by an independent body, that they were either male or female.So why? Why did they not want the CAS to examine their tests? Why did they not want this information to be public? I think the reason is obvious.

• Advertisement

They can outline what testing was done without having to disclose personal medical information.

There are good questions in the second bit. But a lot of “the answer is obvious.”

That’s rushing to a judgement based on assumption. We don’t know why they haven’t disclosed the tests, we don’t know why they didn’t proceed with the appeal. There are valid questions but there are no answers yet.

The IBA may also have other reasons for not making public what specific tests they use, on top of the need for confidentiality.

And yes, Khelif and Lin may have other reasons for both failing to challenge the results and for making the results public. Or for not doing another test at an independent lab, if they disagree with the IBA's result.

I'm just at a bit of a loss as to imagine what that could be though.

How is it in their interest to maintain all this doubt, given the situation at the moment?

No idea. And this is where we should rely on journalists to put those questions to the athletes, their camps or their federations. That's their job. It's not right that we judge based on assumption.

I'm not one for the whole gender identity bandwagon (and I know this isn't a trans issue). I really struggle to understand it and feel it is to my generation what homosexuality was to my parents. But, at the end of the day, there are two human beings at the end of this story being ridiculed and accused of all sorts. If that was my daughter, I'd be distraught. If it was me, I'd want to crawl under a rock and die. That's not right.

The facts need to be established. The IOC needs better guidelines and testing procedures. But what's happening across media and social media at the moment is hysterical witch hunting based on very little concrete information IMO.

But this isn't a trans issue - as you say. Which makes me wonder why the BBC had TWO transgender women (Joanna Harper and Kellie/Frank Maloney) on to talk about the Carini-Khelif fight on a major radio news program last night. No women mind you. All these claims that gender critical people are conflating this with trans, and then the BBC go and do that? Isn't that a form of disinformation in itself?

And that makes me wonder how neutral the media actually want to be on this. There was a lot of misinformation all day from them, eg claims that the two boxers were "women with high levels of testosterone" is actively misleading. A woman with PCOS fits that description, but there is no overlap in the physiological levels of testosterone found in women, even pathological levels such as in women with PCOS, and the normal physiological range of levels of testosterone in men.

So: what journalists should we trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

It's been explained a million times why they won't do it. I doubt they wanted to spent lots of money challenging something that would make no difference to their future chances of qualifying for the Olympics.

A much better question is, why are the IBA refusing to specify what tests they carry out and how the process is handled?

The ones who ask the questions that people want answered and provide proper quotes as answers. Preferably reputable ones.

The media is far from perfect but I trust some of the mainstream media far more than the guff you see from amateurs on social media.

lmao bbc and mainstream media neutral?

you’ve been spending way too much time on boards my friend. For example this topic is the mostly hotly discussed topic on the internet worldwide, and here on boards it doesn’t even have its own thread as far as I’m aware, have a look at trending topics there, cats ovens and Lego, and here this topic is tagged loosely on to the bottom of another thread.

BBC, RTÉ and other mainstream media have their own agenda, don’t expect to obtain access to the truth from these, you will get what they believe you should be given, based on their own ideology, and here on boards anyone who challenges what’s being presented is usually brandished a conspiracy theorist.

neutral lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This is from a very famous Trans Woman I know and its very true. She is an actor a director and a writer. She is post op.

It's easier to love than to hate and what's wrong with just letting someone live their life if they are doing no harm to you. Live and let live.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

why should the IBA release it? they have been banned from IBA women competitions after they done their own test to check if male/female. The IOC have overruled that ban for Olympic boxing competition and stated they checked the passport and it said Female and now its a sh1tshow, the IBA and IOC dont get on with each other, both corrupt imo, but why should the IBA clear up the IOC sh1tshow when apparently a quick glance at a passport is sufficient to determine the sex of an athlete?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Out of curiosity what media outlets do you trust yourself for your news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But we have no evidence that anything the IBA have said about the two boxers is true. It is clearly a corrupt organisation with strong links to Putin and the Kremlin and owned by the Russian energy firm Gazprom.

It's a bit bemusing to see such a murky outfit being held up by western social media as a paragon of virtue and as a reliable neutral source about the status of these boxers. Russia is one of the most anti-LGBT countries in Europe and has a very strong anti 'trans' agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

I feel every sports body should clearly detail what the criteria is for competing in their sports and what tests they carry out to ensure those criteria are met. But at the end of the day the IBA don't have to do any of that, I do accept that.

Who said the BBC or mainstream media were neutral?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If Imane did the test, it would be cleared up if nothing to hide

People are so confused nowadays about what is a woman and what is a man, people are getting cancelled for refusing to use pronouns, posters on boards are saying "she" when referring to Khelif, and when asked why its said that Khelif was raised as a woman.

I'm not surprised a sports governing body doesn't want to open a can of worms and come out and state the obvious, that science can actually very easily determine the sex of a species.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They should and they slowly but surely are. I fall down on the side of trans people, and those with DSDs that provide male advantage, should not be in female competition but I don't think it is a completely straightforward question as to how to align all this.

This is basically a perfect storm in that the IOC have abdicated all responsibility on this matter while at the same time taking over control of Boxing because the IBA have been disaffiliated. The IOC have basically said "we don't think there is any issue here, but the sports bodies can make rules if they want", which is a bit of a cowardly position. Many sports bodies have made rules (and there is perfectly reasonable argument to be made on the exact details of those rules) but because the IBA were/are so corrupt the IOC happens to be in charge of one sport and they are flailing wildly about what to do when they have responsibility for it. It is an abdication of leadership across the board that has caused specific athletes to bear the brunt of the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

And so we await to see what happens next, when Imane Khelif & Lin Yu-Ting enter the ring again in the coming days. Will other boxers pull-out of the bouts or what?

I certainly don't see any movement from the IOC, who seem to be doubling down on their position that the two DSD boxers are without question eligible to box in the women's catagory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seems like they should just decide the rules on XX compete here, XX compete there , if you have an "inny" or an "outie" who gives a shyte. there are a million other things you can do in life.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

which is why it should be in a sporting rules thread not a trans thread

Advertisement