Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭BagofWeed

As the saying goes those who know the least about drugs have the most to say about drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

The guards needs to do and and that etc. Well according to the chief of policing in Cork City superintendent Tom Myers everything is grand!

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41438104.html

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah shur tis grand.

We have fewer attacks and rapes than Dublin, nothing needs improving...🙄

Cork city is a filthy kip, rose tinted glasses wearing by Tom there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

OMG - this Myers bloke needs to read this thread - or take a walk around the city with his eyes open

I have a mind to send him an email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

lols. "At the moment our crime figures are up 26%" & “It’s the aftermath, really, of events that cause us trouble, people going over town drinking and acting the maggot, antisocial behaviour, but we’re well used to that,” said Chief Supt Myers. "It’s a fabulous place. If you go over town of an evening, it’s a lovely place.”

Talk about a low bar. 26% up in crime in a year, people drinking and "acting the maggot" = a lovely place.

That's like talking to a child who won't keep their room tidy. Ugh Whaaaat, it's FINE. Meanwhile there's a pong down the hallway from it.

• Advertisement

A thread just went up on Reddit Cork about someone's female partner getting racially abused by some glass bottle wielding thug in the city this evening.

Lovely place in the evening though according to our chief of policing Mr Tom Myers.🙄

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This is horrendous 😧10:30pm on a Tuesday night, around Merchant's Quay area.

Gardaí investigate robbery of French students and stabbing of teacher in Cork city centre

It’s a fabulous place. If you go over town on an evening, it’s a lovely place. Those are the words of Superintendent Tom Myers the chief of policing for Cork city. I'm not sure that those poor people would share those views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

Lot of guards around today even directing traffic at Finn's corner but there was a demonstration on against the war as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's getting harder and harder lads to defend the City when people tell me they won't go near the place and I say it's fine. 3pm today 2 lads fighting outside Dealz. There wasn't even a punch thrown just wrestling around on the floor and another degenerate screaming at them from the street between Dealz and Centra. About 20 people watching and filming. I don't see the point in that TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently there was a big fight in the green area by electric as well.

It's interesting many cork people recognise there's been a slide towards tolerating petty crime in the city. Say the same thing about dublin, there will be a queue of dubs ready to jump down your throat to tell you their city centre is perfectly safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dunno, I hear as much complaints about Dublin as I do Cork. Maybe more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭BagofWeed

That's them again from today's incident in Midleton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He was released on bail pretty incredible, kills his partner today.

What?? Seriously? Same guy that attacked the French students?

It's all over social media. I'm speechless he got bail

Damn… trial by social media is not a good thing, but hopefully we hear something more concrete soon. But wow…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement

One frequent poster on boards admonished me for saying Dublin felt unsafe and he would walk the streets anytime day or night.

I'd bet the farm he was a big strong white male.

The woman killed in Midleton was arrested for the stabbing of the French teacher. The article is behind a paywall but the names are in the 2nd paragraph.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-41446966.html

Ya know I see the guards get a bad rap these days but the sergeant in this case told the judge they object to bail under any conditions, but the judge got sweet talked and gave bail. What hope do the guards have if judges are letting someone home who stabbed someone ten times with a screwdriver?

A 27 year old woman is murdered now, leaving 2 kids behind. I feel sick over this and the circumstances leading to it.

Both should have been denied bail for their crimes and held in prison, our justice system really is baffling, off for serious crimes FFS

I can't say i have too much sympath here tbh. Hopefully he'll be put away for a long time and then neither of them will be harming anymore innocent people. The kids will hopefully be put under the care of a more fitting family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭boardise

I just want to say as someone born and raised in Cork City many moons ago ( living outside for decades) how sad I feel when I visit now.The dirt and dereliction is appalling. Yes,many improvements have been made to various aspects of the city over the last 20 years or so but it is still pock-marked with ugly decrepit buildings and there are signs of wanton vandalism in evidence. I walked down the N Main St. ( unrecognisable from the elegant street of my youth ) and turned into Washington St. There I saw the long standing shop of Mannix & Culhane -with 5 of its windows smashed. I feel sorry for anyone trying to run a business in city centres these days ( not only in Cork) -with so much shoplifting and vandalism going on . It's a considerable worry and the security /insurance costs must be enormous.

One could write a book about why this is the case -but ,in short, I have to blame the city council for letting things slide so much and also the ''legal system'' i.e. judges and police for effectively allowing thuggery to flourish in our cherished public spaces and so many citizens ,particularly women and girls, fearful of walking the streets. There's a massive hidden price paid by so many for this failure to confront the louts who despoil our city with apparent impunity. I find ihe whole scene thoroughly sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks a mill for sharing - sick of calling the cops about folk shooting up openly in broad daylight

I hear people starting to call Mary Eames Bridge "Beggars Bridge".

• Advertisement

I don't know if it's coincidence but I've noticed a lot more Gards walking around the streets during the day in the last few weeks. Mostly on Oliver Plunkett street.

Advertisement